I figured, since I finally made a video of me playing guitar, and one guy saying I have a crazy picking technique, I thought I'd make a thread here for ya'll to crit my playing technique.

I always felt I played with a goofy style, but I don't know, seems to work for me. Any tips on what I need to correct?

Here's the video, and don't worry, it's not in some kind of crappy web cam mic quality, not my style.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeGOvxZ-Nus
Well first I would like to criticize the fact that there was no solo in that video lol. But I would just say, rest your hand on the bridge more, even when your not palm muting, it looks like your putting a LOT of effort into each strum by positioning your hand so far away from the body.
Really? I thought my rhythm hand was quite relaxed, it feels quite relaxed when I play. When I palm mute, I like to keep my hand near the back of the bridge cause I like to fling my wrist to make my hand bounce off the strings when I want the note to ring out..

Sorry about the no solo, not much of a solo player...everyone keeps bagging me on the not having a solo though
have to say i play in the exact same style... but you are pretty darn good man
ill take the advice from "fast-lagardo" but what do you mean on the bridge more, is it for more ease of playing between chords and alternate?
(bit of a noob metal player tbh, 15 months)
Quote by Nick92Slayer
have to say i play in the exact same style... but you are pretty darn good man
ill take the advice from "fast-lagardo" but what do you mean on the bridge more, is it for more ease of playing between chords and alternate?
(bit of a noob metal player tbh, 15 months)

Well, I have big hands, so I like my palm to sit back farther to where my palm rests on the saddles themselves and the trem plate when I'm shifting from palm mutes to open chords, or if I'm alternate picking, if I'm strumming, I use the top of the guitar as my pivot point for my arm.

Also, since the guitar is a HSS, having my palm that far back helps me avoid the middle coil, so I play inbetween the humbucker and the middle coil.
I'd like to help you on your thread ethan_hanus but I can't. I have very small hands so I'm used to resting my guitar waist height then with my palm at the edge of my tune-o-matic bridge and just kind of flicking with power chords.
Everything seemed solid to me, you got that worked out pretty well Nice tone btw
Don't worry about the no solo thing, you've got the tight rhythm down and with that you could have a job for life. The one thing I'd recommend is to do with those longer stretches toward the end. It probably feels comfortable to you but you look awkward the way you twist to reach them and your fingers fretting the strings on their sides. Maybe shorten your strap and practice with your guitar higher for a while to help your fingers and it should get easier when you return your strap to rawk-mode.
404: Sig not found.
Quote by ChrisN
Don't worry about the no solo thing, you've got the tight rhythm down and with that you could have a job for life. The one thing I'd recommend is to do with those longer stretches toward the end. It probably feels comfortable to you but you look awkward the way you twist to reach them and your fingers fretting the strings on their sides. Maybe shorten your strap and practice with your guitar higher for a while to help your fingers and it should get easier when you return your strap to rawk-mode.

Yeah, I've always had to do weird things to do those wide chords, I'll try that for a while and see if it helps.

I taught myself the guitar standing up with the strap low, so it's just the most natural playing position for me.

Thanks for the feedback guys.