So today is 2 days after my PRK surgery, got it on Wednesday. and most of the pain is gone but now I just have horrible vision.

For anyone else who has had it, how long did it take for your vision to get better? Also, did one eye heal/see better/differently than the other during the recovery part?

I'm just poppin' percocets, neurontins, and valium's till it gets better wutwut
My God, it's full of stars!
i heard it can take upto a month to fully appreciate your vision. the problem is it's a very long process, but in most cases there's no regrets from what i've read.

do you get pain as you blink/after spending time infront of the computer monitor?
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Quote by laid-to-waste
i heard it can take upto a month to fully appreciate your vision. the problem is it's a very long process, but in most cases there's no regrets from what i've read.

do you get pain as you blink/after spending time infront of the computer monitor?

No. It's more just a constant "there's something stuck in my eyes" kinda thing. I only notice it as being worse after I wake up. Then once I take my meds and eye drops, and fully wake up, it gets better. It was worse the evening after the surgery and the day after (yesterday.)
Quote by madbasslover
I've been thinking about getting the PRK myself, but I've heard they won't let you get it unless you're 25, which I'm not.

That's crazy. They have surgery only for people who are 25.

Serious post:
This is laser eye surgery, right?
Quote by bizkitday4eva
You know suicide is just as bad as killing yourself

Taco Man of the Jhonen Vasquez/Invader Zim Club. PM HolyWars90 to join
Quote by madbasslover
I've been thinking about getting the PRK myself, but I've heard they won't let you get it unless you're 25, which I'm not.

Hmm, that's false. I'm under 25 and got it. Are you going by civilian or military age standards?
Last edited by Dreadnought at Jun 3, 2011,
Quote by Ticket48
That's crazy. They have surgery only for people who are 25.

Serious post:
This is laser eye surgery, right?

Yes, it's a procedure which is similar yet superior to LASIK/LASEK
Quote by Dreadnought
Hmm, that's false. I'm under 25 and got it. Are you going by civilian or military age standards?

Military. My buddy who got it told me that in order to get the referral from the doctor on base that I'd have to be 25 or older. It sounded kinda fishy to me, but being that he'd gotten the procedure done I assumed he knew what he was talking about.
i have suffered nearsightedness my entire life and always wondered about this sort of surgery.

are the benefits worth the risks?(if there are any)
is it a very invasive surgery? how long did the surgery last?
do they use local anesthetic or just zonk you out?
If you do something right, no one will know you've done anything at all

Proud to be called Best Friends with Pastafarian96
Quote by madbasslover
Military. My buddy who got it told me that in order to get the referral from the doctor on base that I'd have to be 25 or older. It sounded kinda fishy to me, but being that he'd gotten the procedure done I assumed he knew what he was talking about.

Well that sucks for you! SOF's must have a preference. Well, obviously they do, but it must extend to age requirements as well.
Quote by Harvey Swick
i have suffered nearsightedness my entire life and always wondered about this sort of surgery.

are the benefits worth the risks?(if there are any)
is it a very invasive surgery? how long did the surgery last?
do they use local anesthetic or just zonk you out?

LASIK and PRK are very similar procedures. They both use a laser to reshape the "meaty" portion of your cornea, the stroma, into a "lens", based on your prescription, to enhance your vision.

The way they differ is how they get past the epithelium, or the outer layer of the cornea:

In LASIK, a "flap" is cut, then the laser procedure is performed, and the flap is reattached and allowed to heal. In PRK, the layer is "scrubbed" away by a brush-like apparatus and then heals back. I think they both use a corrective contact lens. The healing process and return to good vision with PRK is longer.

The benefits are most definitely worth the risk. Although there's the possibility of your vision getting worse again as you continue to age, you can just wear glasses/contacts again. In my case, my vision will never be as bad as it was (20/200 one eye and 20/400 in the other.)

It's not invasive at all. The whole procedure for me lasted about 5 minutes. I was given a valium, some numbing drops, and laid down. The doctor clamped one eyelid open, used the brush, then the laser (7 seconds on my right, 9 seconds on my left), put drops in that eye, and then did the same thing with the other eye.

They don't knock you out. I was just given two drugs, diazepam (valium) and gabapentin (neurontin), and then some numbing eye drops.

You don't really feel a thing, trust me. You CAN smell your vaporized eye flesh, though. I thought that was pretty cool.
Quote by mizxou
dread, your sig is wicked

Hah, thanks. I think so too
Quote by Dirge Humani
I'm glad you had your People's Republic of Kampuchea removed >_>

I was thinking more (D)PRK, Democratic People Repulic of Korea
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
thanks for the reassurance dreadnought and its certainly something i will look into.
how much would a procedure similar to yours possibly cost?

it sounds like its definitely worth the better eyesight and the valium
how much diazepam did they provide you anywway? and in what dosage? (mgs?)

a few minutes of surgery and a few days of pain for better eyesight does sound worth it but are there any risks that they could possibly damage my eyes further?

also how would you rate the pain after surgery? 10 being the highest screaming pain you can imagine and 1 being the lowest most relaxed you could be?

I had LASIK. My vision was blurry as shit for a few days, but it cleared up nicely.

Quote by Dreadnought
Well that sucks for you! SOF's must have a preference. Well, obviously they do, but it must extend to age requirements as well.

You do. I didn't get mine until I left the Active and went National Guard. It was a bitch to get the guard to do it, man.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Last edited by JustRooster at Jun 5, 2011,
So, say your cornea did "fall apart," then you're just blind and ****ed?
Honk
Quote by Mukersman
So, say your cornea did "fall apart," then you're just blind and ****ed?

this is what im talking about. i wouldnt want to try to get better eyesight and end up blind or something...what are the chances of that TS?

is this something you discussed with the surgeon prior to surgery?

Quote by Harvey Swick
this is what im talking about. i wouldnt want to try to get better eyesight and end up blind or something...what are the chances of that TS?

is this something you discussed with the surgeon prior to surgery?

Are you talking about PRK or LASIK?

The likelihood of the "flap" becoming wrinkled/disengaged as a regular civilian is EXTREMELY unlikely. However, there's a higher chance of it in certain military schools, such as HALO, scuba, and some others. For military purposes, PRK is better.

Regularly, it most likely won't matter for you at all.

There's a list of potential problems associated with PRK/LASIK, but the likelihood is very small and as with any medical procedure, it's a risk that you take.