so i use a boss ns-2 noise suppresor with my 5150

when i play lead it causes the bass strings to start slightly trembling, enough to cause noise that the noise suppresor does not suppress.

when i play notes on top of it, it mostly subsides so that that my leads sound clear, but not as clear as they would if that vibration of the bass strings wasnt there.

it does this no matter how slow and clanly i play, the bass strings are making noise because the sound waves from my playing are causing them to slightly vibrate.

how do you guys deal with this problem??
for you gigging guys out there playing yngwie malmsteen style stuff i'm sure you can relate.

is this issue just part of having a big loud high gain rig and unavoidable?

thanks alot
Mute the strings you're not playing with your palm? Don't face your amp while playing? I don't think I fully understand exactly what the problem is, but that's my interpretation and my suggestion for a solution *shrug*
Epi Explorer
Squier Vintage Modified Tele

Dunlop Crybaby (modded)
TC Polytune
Marshall ED-1
Vexter Box of Rock
Harmonic Jerkulator (home made)
Boss CE-3
Line6 Echo Park

Modified Traynor YCV40
Fender Super Champ XD
Learn to mute your strings. It has nothing to do with anything but your technique.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
Learn to mute your strings. It has nothing to do with anything but your technique.

+1

But no doubt somebody will suggest you buy a Decimator.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
+1

But no doubt somebody will suggest you buy a Decimator.

ok lol, well i'm trying to say that i am not playing sloppy at all. no matter how slowly or how cleanly i play it still does this. on a partially related note, technique wise i float my picking hand, so it does not contact any part of the guitar.

i'm basically getting slight feedback during my lead playing
Quote by vincelombard
ok lol, well i'm trying to say that i am not playing sloppy at all. no matter how slowly or how cleanly i play it still does this. on a partially related note, technique wise i float my picking hand, so it does not contact any part of the guitar.

i'm basically getting slight feedback during my lead playing

And there's your problem. You have to use different techniques when playing through a loud amp than you do playing an acoustic guitar. You have to be ready to mute anything you don't want to make a sound.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
And there's your problem. You have to use different techniques when playing through a loud amp than you do playing an acoustic guitar. You have to be ready to mute anything you don't want to make a sound.

dude floating and not anchoring is considered good technique. i know that there are lots of famous metal guitarists who float.
Yea, but they still mute their strings with their left hands at the very least.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Unwanted strings are vibrating because you aren't muting the inappropriate strings. THAT is your problem and everybody is telling you the same thing. If want to use classical techniques you're going to have to adapt so you can mute what you have to. If you don't mute a string when playing at high volume it will make a noise - there's no way around that, it's something we all have to deal with. If you want to keep your hand off the guitar you're going to have to use your fingertips to mute those strings.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
You need to learn to mute with your left hand (and a bit with your right). Sometimes I'll put my pointer finger up like I'm doing a barre chord when I'm only really fretting one note with another finger. I know that's impossible to do at all times, but it's just one of the little naunces I do subconsciously so I don't have anything ringing.
update:

i bought a decimator so hopefully that willl help with the problem.
it will arive in about a week

thanks for the tip ignite
Quote by vincelombard
vibration of the bass strings wasnt there.

it does this no matter how slow and clanly i play, the bass strings are making noise because the sound waves from my playing are causing them to slightly vibrate.

how do you guys deal with this problem??

Maybe try using guitar strings

but seriously, you got your answer. A big part of playing electric guitar is muting stings. It has nothing to do with anchoring or not.
Quote by vincelombard
dude floating and not anchoring is considered good technique. i know that there are lots of famous metal guitarists who float.
this is awesome. you are preaching about good technique whilst asking about which noise suppressor you need to cover up errant noises caused by this good technique.

edit: it's funny that you should bring up Yngwie Malmsteen, because he actually anchors his hand at his bridge to mute strings (I know this because it is something I picked up from watching one of his demos). This is not bad technique and I have no idea where you got it in your head that it is.
Last edited by al112987 at Jun 4, 2011,
yeah.

i've noticed for a while now that there's a whole cult of internet players who seem to think anchoring is bad technique. Now I'm no steve vai, but I don't really see what the problem is. the technique's there to improve your playing, not the other way round. If stuff obviously sound bad even though you're using "good" technique, then change that technique.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah.

i've noticed for a while now that there's a whole cult of internet players who seem to think anchoring is bad technique. Now I'm no steve vai, but I don't really see what the problem is. the technique's there to improve your playing, not the other way round. If stuff obviously sound bad even though you're using "good" technique, then change that technique.

I find its a bit of a hold-over from past classical training or classical teachers who would spit in your eye for attempting to play any guitar other than a nylon string guitar.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Did this guy really just buy a decimator for a technique issue due to a joke made in the thread?
^ Sounds like it.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
This thread should be moved to the guitar techniques forum.
Mainly so the techniqueheads can laugh at it.
True story.

you need a gretsch. that's how you mute without using technique.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
anyone who thinks there is 'proper technique' and 'bad technique' is stupid. any thing can be used to make great music, be it anchoring, not anchoring or using a wrench as a slide.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Quote by the_perdestrian
anyone who thinks there is 'proper technique' and 'bad technique' is stupid. any thing can be used to make great music, be it anchoring, not anchoring or using a wrench as a slide.
Well, to a point. In this case, what TS is doing could be considered "bad technique" when playing high gain. Basically, different techniques work better for different settings.
Quote by MightyAl
I took a pic of myself, cut a hole in the face and stuck my knob through so i could see what I'd look like if I got bitten by a radioactive elephant.
Quote by the_perdestrian

If your technique produces unwanted results then it is bad technique.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by vincelombard
update:

i bought a decimator so hopefully that willl help with the problem.
it will arive in about a week

thanks for the tip ignite

... fail.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by ragingkitty
I find its a bit of a hold-over from past classical training or classical teachers who would spit in your eye for attempting to play any guitar other than a nylon string guitar.

ugh
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
ugh

What?

I've seen them... I even know one.

The dude can go like 180bpm doing triplets with his four frakking fingers... going all mental like Django... but gets all fired up and pissed off when someone suggest that he might be better on an electric.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
What?

I've seen them... I even know one.

The dude can go like 180bpm doing triplets with his four frakking fingers... going all mental like Django... but gets all fired up and pissed off when someone suggest that he might be better on an electric.

yeah i meant i disagreed with them, and i agree with you. i mean fair enough if it works on nylon string acoustics, but if you're playing brootz you're probably not playing a nylon string acoustic.

I mean I'm guessing you use different technique to ride a bicycle than you do to ride a motorbike...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah i meant i disagreed with them, and i agree with you. i mean fair enough if it works on nylon string acoustics, but if you're playing brootz you're probably not playing a nylon string acoustic.

I mean I'm guessing you use different technique to ride a bicycle than you do to ride a motorbike...

Ah yeah sorry Dave... haha though you have to admit... your post was... erm... vague... to say the least.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
yeah i was gonna type some stuff out and then couldn't be assed. had to do it anyway. that always happens when i'm lazy

^^ hehe
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?