So my friend whose been playing and on tour lately (hes in the band Desperation) was up in nashville and got this guitar (for free I assume never asked....) and he already has 9 guitars all of nice caliber and he knew I was looking around for a nice guitar (I told him I had a budget of $550) so he said he'd sell me this "partscaster" he got from a guy in nashville. He said very nice electronics a alder either MIM or MIJ alder body (pulled up pickguard and it is definitely alder) I have identified the upgraded electronics/pickguard as this (via marks and brand labeling plus wiring diagram and everything match exactly etc.) http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/DiMarzio-Area-Model-Prewired-Pickguard?sku=476237#used&CJAID=10381297&CJPID=3039497

so definately nice pups/electronics. He said the guy in Nashville changed the neck supposedly. My question (s). A: any help on mebbe this being actually a complete guitar and my friend was mistaken about the replacing of the neck. B: if it's definately another neck...whats the neck from??? it's definately a fender.

pics:

now another thing is....is this a really good deal for $160 or just an ok deal...should I wait and buy something much nicer with my $550 budget? If I bought this for the $160 I could instantly put on locking fender schaller tuners AND put a nice kirk Hammet prewired emg 81/85 on my beater Ibanez rx20 and end up with 2 nice guitars.
thoughts?

also the case you see (molded gator case) comes with it for the $160 andif all goes well I'm buying it sunday

sorry for the flash!!! I think personally it might be a MIM or MIJ alder body as said with something along the lines of a fender nashville neck?
GUITARS:
PRS Semi-Hollow Custom SE

Amps:
Peavey Ranger 2x12 Twin Killer

Quote by MrFlibble
Quote by IronMaiden76
Meh. Looks like an SE to me.
Well, thanks for confirming you know absolutely nothing about PRS guitars.
Last edited by xCaLeBx1225 at Jun 3, 2011,
I'm no expert but that headstock looks a little fishy, however if it is real thats a great deal.
Get them to love you, while they may depending on your words and wealth, the only one who's really judging you is yourself, nobody else.

Any and all posts by this user are fictional and for entertainment purposes only
I realize the headstock is a bit odd but I see them on the fender nashville guitars (I think thats the right series) and the '69 reissues
GUITARS:

Amps:

Quote by MrFlibble
Quote by IronMaiden76
fixed the dimarzio pickguard link
GUITARS:

Amps:

Quote by MrFlibble
Quote by IronMaiden76
If you don't buy it, I will.

How does that sound?
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Buy it. If not, I will.
Quote by SeveralSpecies
That's not what your mother said.

That's right. You aint the only one working with cows.

DOUBLE MOM JOKE!

Quote by hawk5211
Buy it now!

some late 70's reissue neck maybe? I'm not a huge fan of the Area pickups, but still a hell of a deal for 160.

Yeah you guys have convinced me haha I'll have it by sunday and mebbe have a video posted and a bit more pics.

and a reissue neck is exactly what I'm thinking. I played it on wednesday (woulda bought it then but didn't have cash with me) and it definitely didn't feel like a POS squire or anything of the like so my guess would be a reissue fender neck
GUITARS:

Amps:

Quote by MrFlibble
Quote by IronMaiden76
Buy it
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

yeah buy that mofo...even if you didn't end up liking it you could just sell and profit im sure.
also little thing I noticed that makes me almost positive it's a reissue neck (guessing '69) is no skunk stripe on neck combined with the "with synchronizing tremolo" only reissues did that I think. More reason against it being faked (squiers almost all have skunk stripes with the larger headstock) so yay for it being a reissue neck
GUITARS:

Amps:

Quote by MrFlibble
Quote by IronMaiden76
The neck has the truss rod hole at the headstock, so unless it's missing the bullet end it's not a Fender neck. Could be a Mighty Mite or other licensed neck though.

I'm pretty sure the body is MIM due to the screw spacing on the bridge.

For $160 it's your call.
Did you know the odds of a Vault-Tec shelter failing are 1,763,497 to 1?

So imagine life in a Vault-Tec Vault. Not just a future.
A brighter future... underground.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.
Quote by hawk5211
false, The rosewood ones seem to have the skunk stripe. My affinity maple strat has no skunk stripe.

and the large headstock style???

edit: @floyd hmm good point. well I could care less if it's mighty might/warmoth/some other such brand. they're all quality parts
GUITARS:

Amps:

Quote by MrFlibble
Quote by IronMaiden76
Last edited by xCaLeBx1225 at Jun 3, 2011,
well thats the first I've ever seen. I don't know.....I'm still back and forth on whether to get it
GUITARS:

Amps:

Quote by MrFlibble
Quote by IronMaiden76
personally, i'd pass.....for $550 you can get a really nice guitar, perhaps even an American Strat on craigslist........i'd rather have that for resale, and knowing that its a genuine quality fender.
Guitars
1998 Gibson Les Paul Standard
1992 Ibanez RG550
Amplifier
1978 Marshall JMP 2203
It's not a 70's reissue Strat. If it was it'd look more like this:
(Without the checking of course.)

I'm also noticing the Fender logo is black with no outline. This seems weird to me, but I'm not entirely sure if it's not normal.

Either way, get it. The loaded pickguard alone is worth $250
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Last edited by kangaxxter at Jun 4, 2011,
^ re-read? edit: re-read two posts, ^ he beat me as I typed. Not that with quotes thing and editing....

he said he can get it for 160. Deal. It says fender..so....im not one to get over on others. but if it played like crap and sounded like crap. he get an easy 200 if not 4-700 even for it on craigslist. EASY.
Last edited by treysonpwaters at Jun 4, 2011,
Quote by Paith
personally, i'd pass.....for $550 you can get a really nice guitar, perhaps even an American Strat on craigslist........i'd rather have that for resale, and knowing that its a genuine quality fender.

if it plays well and sounds good does it matter where its from?
Quote by hawk5211
if it plays well and sounds good does it matter where its from?

matters a lot! If you ever want to resell a guitar, an American Fender WILL hold its value 10x over a partsocaster. An American strat will also play good (for the most part), and sound good, therefore, with an American Strat of a parts strat, you get good sound, good feel, and good resale. With a partscaster, you get good feel (maybe), good sound (maybe), and bad resale.
Guitars
1998 Gibson Les Paul Standard
1992 Ibanez RG550
Amplifier
1978 Marshall JMP 2203