Well basically, I play metal 90% of the time, but for songs like Metallica - Jump in the fire or Children of bodom - Bed of razors, i have trouble with the riffs and end up strumming right on the strings, but only occasionaly keep up with my fretting hand ( generally sounds a mess like strumming notes before my finger is on them )

Has anyone got techniques to help build up speed in my fretting hand, strangely enough its not a problem with solos within my skill ; eg. Bullet for my valentine - The last fight

Any help appreciated
Quote by rorywal
Use a metronome, slow it down, build up speed

The usual

I second that notion
Quote by rorywal
Use a metronome, slow it down, build up speed

The usual

This. It really is the usual. Stick to it and it will pay off in the long run.
I'am a bit of a noob with guitar, only been playing 15 months with no kind of set style or routine to improve my play. I just practice on cover songs and "sessions" on techniques such as pinch harmonics
Would a metronone make a big difference then?
Dude I'm a massive fan of thrash, no way you can play any of that stuff properly without a metronome, helps to properly nail down your rhythm technique and the like

Can't play fast until you can play slow
lolol I knew metronomes were useful but I hit a brick wall of playing and thought a metronome would only really help my strumming hand, which I'm good at.
Cheers guys for the advice
Nah man they are beneficial for picking and fretting

I swear by them, if you are going to learn a song just try taking a little longer by working through it at different speeds, makes a huge difference
I don't understand why anyone would need a metronome... I have never used one. If there's a part in a song I can't play up to speed, I practice it until I can. Without a metronome. Just play to the song.
In addition to using a metronome, try muting all the strings and just go through the pattern with your fretting hand alone until it gets used to the motions. Even simple patterns can be difficult to play because they're alien position to what your hand is used to (ie. a simple jazz/blues pattern could be hard for a metal player due to different chords and finger positioning). Also try different wrist positions on the fretboard. That works with me sometimes especially with the soloing. Whatever works and feels comfortable but definitely go with the metronome approach if nothing else.
Quote by Black Hazard
I don't understand why anyone would need a metronome... I have never used one. If there's a part in a song I can't play up to speed, I practice it until I can. Without a metronome. Just play to the song.

Mate a metronome will make you a hell of a lot tighter, particularly in the rhythm department, if it's good enough for Petrucci it's good enough for me
if you play it slower, just make it as smooth as possible. if you can play it smooth you can play it faster, in my experience
@ blackhazard; try and you'll find out. i didnt for about 18 months and now my playing ability is skyrocketing since i started using one
My sig? Nice.
Quote by Black Hazard
How?

You may be able to play fast but there is a pretty solid chance it will be sloppy, I have seen it with loads of players who could shred but couldnt hold down a tight metal rhythm

I'm definitely seeing a difference in my playing and it would seem you are the only person who disagrees with what is being said

Get a metronome and come back in 6 months if you feel the same way