UPDATE:

So I've decided to broaden my horizons a little and explore other American voiced amps as well Fender. I tried an AC30 yesterday and hated it. Lovely cleans, but it really didn't like my pedals at all. I've found this has been a problem with all British voiced amps so far.

So I am now going to focus only on American voiced amps, as they give me the tone I want!

I'm now considering the Mesa F50 combo. Does this take pedals well? From the videos I've watched they sound really good, but I'll have to go to Melbourne to check them out (And being in the middle of exams at the moment, that won't be happening right away, so I thought I'd get some opinions on here first!)

Any other decent amps I should check out?

Looking for American Voiced combos that take pedals well (so must have rich and full clean tones), probably between 30-50 watts valve (I probably don't need much bigger than that)

Looking to buy used, budget around $1500 AU!

Thanks!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi all!

So my band has been spending a lot of time in the studio lately, and I've started to really notice flaws in my Hot Rod Deluxe. It is way too trebley, the reverb is weak, the bass end isn't tight, you know the drill. So rather than experimenting with valves and new speakers, I've decided I'd rather spend that time and money on a new amp!

I love Fender amps, I always have, so I'm looking for an all valve Fender, must be 40 watts or above. I use pedals for my drive and dirt (check my signature for my gear), so I'm looking for the richest/best clean tone I can get that will really compliment my pedals.

Onboard reverb would be nice, but I've had my eye on a Reissue Bassman so it's not essential if the amp is brilliant.

A Twin Reverb looks like a great option, but my only concern is the fact I have a crook shoulder, so the weight may be a bit of a problem. So if the suggestions could keep to around the size/weight of a 40/50 watt amp, that would be awesome!

I play music like Oasis, Powderfinger, John Mayer and so forth.

So summing up:

Best/richest sounding clean tone.
Looking to buy used, budget no more than $2000 AU (would like to spend around the $1500 mark though)
Considering a Fender Bassman 59 reissue.

Cheers!
Fender USA Standard Stratocaster
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Tonerider British Distortion
Tonerider American Overdrive
Boss DD7
Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker
Treble Booster.
Last edited by bicko19 at Jun 7, 2011,
May i dare to suggest that you check out the Blackstar range. I have the HT Stage 60 and the cleans are as good as it gets. Before you jump back into a Fender at least go and try these amps out.
Quote by fishburn
May i dare to suggest that you check out the Blackstar range. I have the HT Stage 60 and the cleans are as good as it gets. Before you jump back into a Fender at least go and try these amps out.

#ENTITLED
WENGER OUT!!!

lastfm
http://musicswopshop.com.au/SwoppyItems.aspx?cat=amplifiers+%26+speaker+cabinets&sub=valve+combos

Some sick Fender amps there.

That 70s SF Bassman is mine, though. Don't even think about buying it.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Played a couple of Blackstar's before and they aren't my thing!

Cheers for that site shadow, will check it out now!
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Boss DD7
Treble Booster.
Have you considered the DRRI?
Quote by CodChick

Seriously, I'm not a fan of iphones and guitars mixing.
No I haven't, what cab you tell me about it if anything?
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Boss DD7
Treble Booster.
It's 22 watts, 1x12

All tube, tremolo and reverb, mine sounded great, I would still have it if it weren't for nostalgia and a trade.

I replaced the speaker in mine with an alnico, though, I don't know if it was necessary, it was plenty loud, I rarely got it up past 4, though I was playing with a rather quiet group at the time.

Loved OD pedals

Check out some youtubes and reviews, it's an awesome amp
Quote by CodChick

Cheers man, I'll check it out for sure!
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Boss DD7
Treble Booster.
My only concern is it's only 22 watts. I'd prefer it to be around 40 watts
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Boss DD7
Treble Booster.
It's plenty loud, but if you want a ton of headroom, it isn't there
Quote by CodChick

Yeah I'd definitely be wanting more headroom then 22 watts. But cheers for tue suggestion!
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Boss DD7
Treble Booster.
Does it have to be a Fender? If not I'd recommend an AC30 though that's plenty heavy too.

I have a Deluxe Reverb and while it's a quiet 22W there is a decent amount of headroom, even though mine breaks up quite early in a tech's opinion.

Just check out the full range of blackface reissues - Super Reverb, Twin etc.
It doesn't have to be a Fender, I'm open for anything, I just love the sound of fenders. In the end, I just want an amp that has a great clean channel that will take my pedals well, and be a step up from my HRD!
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Boss DD7
Treble Booster.
If you want to stay fender look at the super sonic, a Vox would do you right also.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I bought an AC30 for the same reason you're asking. Lost of clean headroom.
After having a 1991 fender blues deville, the AC30 just didn't cut it for me!
Quote by Duv
Does it have to be a Fender? If not I'd recommend an AC30 though that's plenty heavy too.

I have a Deluxe Reverb and while it's a quiet 22W there is a decent amount of headroom, even though mine breaks up quite early in a tech's opinion.

Oh yea, the super reverb, great amp. It might be a bit heavy though, about 10lbs heavier than the 59 Bassman RI, the bassman will break up a little earlier, as the tweeds do.

Invest in some casters to save your shoulder!
Quote by CodChick

Please see update in first post!
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Boss DD7
Treble Booster.
since when is the hot rod trebly? when i played it i thought the exact oposite.

If you can get your hands on a cheap Engl Screamer 50 then try it out. pretty brilliant clean channel. takes pedals well and has an effects loop. also has some ripper gain. you won't bother using your pedals for drive once you play this.
Quote by Duv

Did you not read the post? lol
I did read the post, and I'm currently in the process of checking out all the amps suggested. Just got into a conversation with friends who aren't Fender fans and thought I'd get a good list of amps outside of Fender's to try as well!
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Boss DD7
Treble Booster.
you might want to try a Peavey classic 30 or 50 as tey both have nice cleans and do take pedals well.