I tried getting a new classical guitar, but i can't because i love that steel string guitar sound...
Right now, i have kept my eyes on a few guitars..

Wahsburn WD20 Acoustic Electric Guitar

Silver Creek T-160 Acoustic Guitar Natural

Silver Creek D-160

I know that silvercreek are all solid wood guitars...but the washburn looks very sexy and has features a higher end guitar would have(electronics, solid spruce,rosewood back and sides, etc.)
People have recommended me the Yamaha FG730S, but the washburn is the same thing, with a cutaway and electronics..

Which guitar is the best out of these, and if you things these guitars suck, which guitar would be my best bet for $300?
Last edited by GorillaBreath at Jun 3, 2011,
that washburn is tight, Ive heard good things about Silver creek but really dont know much about them
I recently bought an Ibanez PFECE for $200 with a case. Albeit, the thing was used, but it sounds amazing. Go to a little local shop and see what used gear they've got. Never know what you'll find. But from what limited selection I had, I'd say check out the Ibanez.
i have an ibanez aw30ecent(solid engleman spruce top) and its pretty decent...but i am selling it to get a new acoustic because the sound is not all there...(many people here hate ibanez..but the the truth is that they are "decent" guitars..but yes there are better guitars out there than an ibanez)
I'm quite the opposite, can't stand the treble of steel string, classicals/flamencos FTW

OT: I've heard great things about seagulls, try some of them out
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
Here are some pics of guitars i am interested in....

Silvercreek T-160

Features
Body Style: Auditorium
Top: Solid Spruce
Back & Sides: Solid mahogany
Neck: Mahogany
Scale Length: 24.9"
No. of frets: 20, open 14
Fingerboard: Rosewood
Fingerboard Inlays: Mini Dots
Headstock Overlay: Rosewood
Headstock Inlay: Silvercreek logo with Decorative Inlay
Nut width: 1-3/4"
Neck width at body: 2-3/8"
String spacing at saddle E-E: 2-5/16"
Binding: White with Black/White Purfling
Rosette: Ringed
Bridge: Rosewood
Width at Upper Bout: 11-3/8"
Width at Lower Bout: 15-1/4"
Maximum Depth: 3-7/8"
Finish: Gloss
Tuners: Chrome

Yamaha FG730s

Solid Sitka spruce top
Rosewood back and sides
Rosewood fingerboard
Rosewood bridge
White/black body and neck binding
Die-cast tuners
Tortoise pickguard
Limited lifetime warranty

Washburn WD20SCE

Solid Alaskan Sitka Spruce top
Quarter sawn scalloped bracing
Rosewood sides and back
Satin finished mahogany neck with two-way trussrod
Rosewood fingerboard and bridge with bone nut and saddle
Rosewood capped headstock with MOP Washburn logo & stylized W inlay
Die cast chrome tuners
Fishman Isys+ Tuner/Preamp System
Comes equipped with D'Addario® strings
Includes: Limited Lifetime Warranty
I would suggest avoiding electronics for the time being. If you're only spending about $300, a large portion of that money is actually going towards the electronics. You end up with a lesser guitar with more features.

Honestly, If I had to buy a lower end guitar now with all my acoustic experience, I would go for a Yamaha FG700 series guitar instead of my Art & Lutherie. They're just really decent playing and sounding guitars for what you're paying.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Quote by captivate
I would suggest avoiding electronics for the time being. If you're only spending about $300, a large portion of that money is actually going towards the electronics. You end up with a lesser guitar with more features.

Honestly, If I had to buy a lower end guitar now with all my acoustic experience, I would go for a Yamaha FG700 series guitar instead of my Art & Lutherie. They're just really decent playing and sounding guitars for what you're paying.

Is it not a good deal though for a solid sitka top, and rosewood body with cutaway and electronics for $300?
Don't think about guitars in terms of "value for money". It's a poor way to judge guitars. What you want is quality, not quantity.

Think about it this way... Electronics cost money. Probably about $50-75 just to install and put into the guitar. Are you really getting a decent guitar? Are you really getting good electronics?
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Quote by captivate
Don't think about guitars in terms of "value for money". It's a poor way to judge guitars. What you want is quality, not quantity.

Think about it this way... Electronics cost money. Probably about $50-75 just to install and put into the guitar. Are you really getting a decent guitar? Are you really getting good electronics?

when you put it that way...you are right..
so the yamaha fg730s can be better than the washburn wd20sce(even though thy have the same tonewoods)because yamaha has better quality? But will the tone be much different?
I happen to be an owner of the Yamaha you were looking at. Top quality guitar in that price range, the neck is incredibly comfortable, and you don't miss the electronics at all - electro acoustics in the low-mid price range are generally equipped with shoddy electronics and poorer build quality. If you ever need more volume, just mic it, or buy an after-market soundhole pickup.

Not having the cutaway gives a much fuller sound too - do you want a better sounding guitar, or do you want slightly easier access to the handful of frets you very rarely use on an acoustic?

I've had my Yamaha for about three years now, it's bounced around the back of vans, taken knocks, scrapes and bumps on and off stage, survived three house moves, been passed around at drunken parties, soldiered on through close calls with cigarettes and beer bottles been played just about every day since I walked out of the shop it was bought at. Bit of spit and polish when I change my strings and it's as good as new. I'd say that says a lot about how well Yamaha build their gear.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Just got another question..
Is the silvercreek d-160 guitar comparable with the yamaha fg730s with its solid body?
And will the yamaha fg730s's tone be dramatically different from my ibanez aw30ecent(solid engleman spruce top with mahagony body)?
i find the yamaha fg730s to sound much better than the ibanez. i haven't played a silver creek, but i've heard a LOT about them on agf. most people who own them seem to like them, although one of the guys there who seems to like them the most scalloped his silver creek's bracing. i've heard good things about the recording kings in your price range, and i love the blueridge guitars that are just a little above.

the thing is, just because a guitar might have great specs "on paper" doesn't mean in reality it will sound great. for one thing, when it comes to laminate back and sides, in most cases only the outer veneer is the wood listed. a laminate back and sides guitar listed as rosewood back and sides could have literally any wood underneath, and it could be more than one slice of wood underneath or more than one. it could be well glued or not as well glued. these things affect guitar's tone and resonance a lot. there are other things that affect tone including bracing material, location and shape of bracing, how thin the top is, how the neck is attached. all these things can make a HUGE difference in tone, but you can't tell from reading the specs.

i have a blueridge size 0 parlor with sitka top and mahogany back and sides. it's got plenty of bass, scooped mids, and sounds really really good to me. i've played other size 0 parlors with sitka top and mahogany b&s that don't sound as deep or just as all around good - but the specs are literally identical.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
so do you guys think that i should settle with the yamaha fg730s or wait for a silvercreek d-170(Solid rosewood back and sides and solid spruce)?
don't see why you think you'd be "settling" for a yamaha fg730s when you're considering a washburn WD20SCE. my personal preference would be the yamaha of the two - the yamaha sounds better to my ears, and is well built and just a nice guitar.

still, i must admit that if it were me, i'd probably go for the recording king from a reputable dealer. i prefer blueridge to recording king, but recording kings are nice, and while i haven't tried this particular model, i've been happy enough with their other models that i'd give it a shot. nice traditional tone - the yamaha is a more modern tone. i think both are worth owning in this price range.

btw, there's also a 000 recording king at that price range
http://www.elderly.com/new_instruments/names/recording-king-ro-10-%22000%22-classic-series--RO10.htm
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Last edited by patticake at Jun 5, 2011,
Quote by megano28
I'm quite the opposite, can't stand the treble of steel string, classicals/flamencos FTW

Same here, personally I'm used to fingerpicking in classical strings, when I try to do so on a steel string it just doesn't feel right to me... It's a matter of style I guess
Quote by technoguyx
Same here, personally I'm used to fingerpicking in classical strings, when I try to do so on a steel string it just doesn't feel right to me... It's a matter of style I guess

It's just something you get used to. I don't play classical much anymore, but I used to alternate between classical and acoustic fingerstyle all the time
My God, it's full of stars!
i used to play both classical and non classical fingerpicked on a classical guitar. once i tried a better steel string, i discovered how much i prefer steel to nylon. not a lot of difference in my playing style as long when playing a wide enough neck, although over time i've become much less involved in proper classical seating and no longer use a foot block, so i'm more comfy when i play.
Quote by Skeet UK
i am getting the Yamaha FG730s(after seeing this )thanks everyone and ill be posting in a month or so....

p.s.
is it possible for the yamaha to be better sounding than the previous recording king and silver creek? note that i picked the yamaha because its good when be strummed...i am a strummer by heart,,,
Last edited by GorillaBreath at Jun 6, 2011,
After you have put 200 or 300 hours into your new guitar you will already have decided whether you love it or just like it. Easy way I check which guitars I love most (out of the ones I own) The ones that dont have any rust on the strings are my favorites. lol true though. (hang on I use stainless now) oh well.

The truth is that my wife said any time the strings get rusty on any of my 24 guitars it is time to sell the one/s with the rusty strings. So I went to stainless strings. (TRUE STORY)
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

Head Drug Tester of Australians FTWclub
PM the_random_hero for entry

Prime Minister of the UG archtop acoustic players club,
PM Keef_is_King
to join!
i am actually falling in love with the yamaha fg730s since i have been watching videos on youtube..(they sound good and i heard somewhere that yamahas were consistant sounding guitars) I just hope that i don't regret not buying an all solid silver creek...
If it is a choice between all solid timber & laminate.........that isnt a choice the solid timber has the edge without doubt, just my opinion of corse it is the opinion of every luthier who has ever lived as well. lol Dont get too hung up on brand names Yamaha FG730 IMHO are at best a half decent, middle of the road, cheaper guitar.
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

PM Keef_is_King
to join!
i am going to guitar center and sam ash on saturday to see the yamahas, seaguls, etc.
if i dont find anything i like, ill just save up until i have enough for an all solid blue ridge guitar
Research ,,,you have a computer,, look around,,, look at so so many guitars ,,,,that you get sick of looking & what do you know you actually know what you want & have a wealth of information r.e. how they are made woods your particular likes & dislikes etc.

I gaurantee you you will end up with 1 guitar that will stand out, that you like & has the (affordable) things you want.
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

PM Keef_is_King
to join!
I guess i did rush into buying a guitar, but i am not knowledgeable enough to get the acoustic for me..i dont want it to end up like last time when i rushed into buying new acoustic and i got an ibanez...

i'll research some more and i'll keep looking for the acoustic that fits my needs.
Yes I have done the same thing on at least a dozen occasions,,e.g. Stratacoustic but we wont go there.....lol I find it easiest to look at lots & lots of guitars online, by the fact that some you dont even open the link or page to look at them, is telling you, you are decerning by what you allready have in your knowledge bank, this will get to a point that you know what it is EXACTLY you want looks, style, setup, cost, what others say (online) about your guitar in reviews & finally then get out & test 'em out, there cant be to many guitars that fit exactly what you want. Once armed with all your guidlines dont throw them out the window when trying out a guitar 'cause it looks to die for. Let us know your results!!!
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

PM Keef_is_King
to join!
someone is selling me an all solid dreadnought for less money than any guitar suggested so far...sounds too good to be true, but i am pretty hyped up because i can return it if i am not satisfied...the dreadnought has no cutaway, but it does have electronics....hope the specs that were given were true because it is a GREAT DEAL!
What is it??
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

PM Keef_is_King
to join!