I need to know these. Say you don't have PA system and a mixer and stuff, how do I ECONOMICALLY amplify my vocalists' vocals for small gigs or practice. We play br00t4l metulz, and our guitars and drummer are quite loud so we need a set up capable of cutting through the mix.

Or just walk me through a typical set up.
Like mic>mixer>receiver>speaker or such like that. I just need something loud so my band can practice and play at parties where nothing is provided.

Thanks in advance.
(Not sure if this belongs in this sub-forum.)
Quote by Alex Vik
Get an opera singer.

Aha. Ahahaha.
This guy.

Any real answers?
Maybe try a different/extra amp, just find a 1/4 to (what is it, xbl?) whatever a mic cable uses, plug into an amp, and go to town. I think thats what this band around here did when they didnt have a pa
Schecter C-1 Classic in Seethru blue <333
Schecter Damien FR
Roland AC-60 acoustic amp
Boss GE-7 EQ
Line6 Ubermetal Distortion
Sigma Dx Acoustic
For band practices, my band runs a chepa 5 dolalr mic into an OD pedal for volume, into a Marshall MG30. That piece of shit is at least useful for something.
Quote by superunknown
megaphone.

Quote by blackflag49

This is why I haven't asked for help on the internet in ages.

Anyway, the only other amp I have free is 2 15 watt practice amps.
Any suggestions that don't include guitar/bass amps? That's my last request and I'm outta here.
After seeing the toilet paper roll I had the greatest image of a vocalist singing into a plastic cup that had a string attached to it and it was split so each audience member had their own cup attached to the one the singer had.
Quote by bizkitday4eva
You know suicide is just as bad as killing yourself

Taco Man of the Jhonen Vasquez/Invader Zim Club. PM HolyWars90 to join
ask him this - if your vocals arnt being 'amplified' enough being sent through a small PA then your not projecting your voice enough....use your diaphragm... if so... tried a different mic? you've explained very little apart from your in a metal band. so i guess you scream.. what style... if fry scream then its mic techniques your lookin for, if not then replace the PA. Other than that... i dont know. i guess maybe hes not confident nor practiced enough within his technique. if he has n hes confident then you guys are gonna have to turn down for him otherwise his throat will blow out for trying to compete against you guys. practice intelligently ffs.
Two things are infinite : the universe and human stupidity; I’m not sure about the universe
Don't bother amplifying them if its metal...

...they're shit vocals anyway.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Quote by Slash181
ask him this - if your vocals arnt being 'amplified' enough being sent through a small PA then your not projecting your voice enough....use your diaphragm... if so... tried a different mic? you've explained very little apart from your in a metal band. so i guess you scream.. what style... if fry scream then its mic techniques your lookin for, if not then replace the PA. Other than that... i dont know. i guess maybe hes not confident nor practiced enough within his technique. if he has n hes confident then you guys are gonna have to turn down for him otherwise his throat will blow out for trying to compete against you guys. practice intelligently ffs.

The guy doesn't have a PA system. At venues and s*#t he does, and he sound fine, but I'm looking for something he can take home. He is loud, the problem is we can't hear him since he already uses 1 of the 15 watt amps I mentioned before (for practice). He does growls, pig squeals, grunts, etc. The death metal type (The Black Dahlia Murder, Aborted, The Faceless, Death... just some of his inspirations.) He has a SM57 so the mic is fine. We don't tell him to try to be louder than us, oh noes. We know about the dangers.

And don't expect too much help. You're in the Pit.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by Ticket48
After seeing the toilet paper roll I had the greatest image of a vocalist singing into a plastic cup that had a string attached to it and it was split so each audience member had their own cup attached to the one the singer had.

Epic. I want to see this happen.
All you need is yo' fingers and the strings
Quote by strat0blaster

And don't expect too much help. You're in the Pit.

The Pit
The forum for general discussion of topics that don't fit into the other forums. Please read the rules first.

I know it's not guaranteed that I'll get help, but I would like it if the trolls would just step aside for a bit.
Quote by clwnz
The guy doesn't have a PA system. At venues and s*#t he does, and he sound fine, but I'm looking for something he can take home. He is loud, the problem is we can't hear him since he already uses 1 of the 15 watt amps I mentioned before (for practice). He does growls, pig squeals, grunts, etc. The death metal type (The Black Dahlia Murder, Aborted, The Faceless, Death... just some of his inspirations.) He has a SM57 so the mic is fine. We don't tell him to try to be louder than us, oh noes. We know about the dangers.

that sounds fine... but then the logical solution is for him to save up and get a small / medium size pa rig... maybe 1000w pa amp with 500w speakers... set him back a little bit but will save him and you in the long run. you cant practice with a 15w amp... not with that style of scream anyway.. if he was doing corey taylor type scream then not a problem but because of the folds hes relying on arnt as stong as his 'main folds' (the one you use for speaking) its hard to capture the projection. when i scream like randy i have to have the mic atleast an inch away while having certain mic techniques to capture the full tone and level. the other scream (corey) i can have a sm58 (sm57 being a instrument mic but also good for vocals) atleast 6 inches away from me and thats with volume down and gain down. but i wouldnt recommend unless hes used to it or his throat can cope with that scream. the other thing he could do is to get a condenser mic but that will pick you guys up too as its meant for studio recordings and theyre very expensive so he might aswell get a PA.
Two things are infinite : the universe and human stupidity; I’m not sure about the universe
Hmmm, how about regular speakers?
What if I were to buy a mixer?

I will return tomorrow.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Don't bother amplifying them if its metal...

...they're shit vocals anyway.

RAAAAAAGG-Oh wait, it's you.

##Vote: Irish

Scummy scum scum scum.
Tool
Sleep
Gojira
Puscifer
Neurosis
Sunn O)))
Meshuggah
Modest Mouse
Electric Wizard
Mammoth Grinder

Lucid Dreaming Thread
Quote by clwnz
I know it's not guaranteed that I'll get help, but I would like it if the trolls would just step aside for a bit.

Musician Talk sub-forum "Vocals."
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=83

They'll give you answers too, but the best answer you're gonna get is a cheap bass amp. It'll sound nothing at all like a PA, and your quality of projected sound is going to be gods awful, but there you go.

Also, this isn't trolling.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by clwnz
Hmmm, how about regular speakers?
What if I were to buy a mixer?

I will return tomorrow.

what.... ? regular speakers... lol

right regular speakers are what im on about... if you get these how are you going to deliver the sound to them (most are speakon connected) unless you get a Powered mixer with 1/4 - speakon then fair enough but the simplest way is get an unpowered mixer, get 1/4 - 1/4 to connect to power amp then speakon to speakon lead to speakers. or you can do it this way - get a pa and mixer all in one and then have 1/4 - 1/4 leads and make sure you have 1/4 jack connections on the speakers.... all depends on what you find.
Cheap mic (even a Rock Band mic might do) through one of your axists' old amps. Cheap and effective.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

I had a webster solid state PA I got on ebay for $15, a 2x10 guitar cab with crappy speakers I paid $20 for and the mic/stand combo from musicians friend for $20

it was loud enough for the neighbors to call the cops, but sounded absolutely horrible.

My old band put an ad on craigslist asking for a cheap PA and scored a humongous peavy, it was the size of a VW but it was only $100 and it rocked
Quote by CodChick

Seriously, I'm not a fan of iphones and guitars mixing.
Yell louder!!!
Quote by Nomack
Next hendrix is like a a sidesplitting triumph of slapstick and scatology, a runaway moneymaker and budding franchise, the worst thing to happen to Kazakhstan since the Mongol hordes, and, a communist.

This is my sig!
a headphone amplifier and headphones is probably the cheapest way.
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
Quote by blackflag49

Dude. Toilet paper roll?
Seriously?

A traffic cone would be much more efficient.
You just need one powered speaker and a microphone. You can get a Shure SM58 for $100 and a powered speaker for $200 new in Australia. Probably better if you really look.