So pit. I'm working on a new song and part of me wants to throw part of an old classical song (Pictures In An Exhibition to be exact) in the middle of it. Does anyone know if its legal or not? From what I've looked up, it doesn't look like I'd need to pay royalties since hes dead and has been dead for over 70 years (thus relinquishing any copyrights he has in the US) and nobody renewed it afterward.

I just want to see if anyone knows anything about doing such a thing before I get my ass sued
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
If no one owns the rights and your not necessarily blowin up the record stores I think you'll be alright
Well, I suppose the technical question to ask would be "Is the particular recording of that piece which you plan to use still copyrighted?"

The more practical question to ask would be "Who's going to listen to yr song & give a fuck whether or not that piece is still copyrighted?"

IE, unless you're making a bunch of money off a song that uses that recording - which I'll assume (no offense) that you won't be - no one's gonna bother tryin' to sue you.
Last edited by neidnarb11890 at Jun 4, 2011,
Sounds like you are okay if no one has renewed. There is a site that you can search for if music is currently copyrighted and by whole Google may help you find it. Been a while since I been on it.

Edit: Also you would get a cease and desist letter. If you kept using it then you would be sued if someone holds a copyright on it. This is assuming you are using it for commercial use and the owner hears it.
Last edited by FireHawk at Jun 4, 2011,
I did a search in the US Copyright database and the original arrangement doesn't have a copyright. Some of the rearrangements do but those shouldn't be a problem. So it looks like I'm good to go without getting sued
I'm assuming you are sampling a commercial recording of the music. In legal terms, the problem here isn't the composition, which is in public domain. It is the copyrighted recording in which you are taking it from. So without the permissions granted and licensing fees paid to the owner of this recording, you are technically not allowed to sample the music for use.

However, if you are playing the composition yourself, it is fine.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
I'm assuming you are sampling a commercial recording of the music. In legal terms, the problem here isn't the composition, which is in public domain. It is the copyrighted recording in which you are taking it from. So without the permissions granted and licensing fees paid to the owner of this recording, you are technically not allowed to sample the music for use.

However, if you are playing the composition yourself, it is fine.

Yeah, I planned on recording it with my own spin on it, not sampling a recording. I just couldn't think of a good way to phrase it.
go for it, nobod's going to bother you unless your song becomes a cash pimping hit

so its a wwin win situation

unless you get your ass sued, as youve said
Mussorgsky's been dead for a LONG time, man. It's in the public domain now. Not sure about Ravel's orchestration, though.

Also, if you were to sample a recording of it, you'd probably have to pay royalties, but if you did it yourself with samples or whatever, you wouldn't.
I think ELO beat you to it
Quote by SleightOfHand
****in right budday! grunge is the shiite!

didnt read ur post tho so dont know what im agreeing to.

Quote by horloko
Good. More centaur pussy for me.

Quote by myearshurt

God bless you GrungeBeatle

Quote by lockwolf
So pit. I'm working on a new song and part of me wants to throw part of an old classical song (Pictures In An Exhibition to be exact) in the middle of it.

Pictures at an exhibition is the suite name, not an individual piece. Which movement is it?
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Kensai
Pictures at an exhibition is the suite name, not an individual piece. Which movement is it?

$20 says it's either The Hut on Fowl's Legs, Promenade, or The Great Gate of Kiev.
Personally I'm wagering it's Bydlo or the first Promenade piece.
Hey TS, whatever you do, don't do something like this. I will kill you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zatmdqTYivI

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi

Before I clicked I thought "well, how bad could it be?"...

ಠ_ಠ
Now I have to listen to some music to wash that other music off my ears.
Quote by Kensai

ಠ_ಠ

ಠ_ಠ indeed

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
For future reference, check IMSLP for non commercial recordings. (IMSLP is a wiki of classical compositions, most pages have links to non-commercial recordings)
Quote by Xiaoxi

I think the video itself was more horrible. Slo-mo boat race + weird version of In the Hall of the Mountain King? WTF?
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by rockingamer2
I think the video itself was more horrible. Slo-mo boat race + weird version of In the Hall of the Mountain King? WTF?

i think it's the fact that 'interpretations' like that turn beautiful classical pieces into cliches rather than art

people hear that piece, and they will think of people rowing or eating cereal or some shit because it's been done so many times
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Quote by GrungeBeatle
I think ELO beat you to it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxXl4oS9wss

I adore how they integrated this in here.
Hull City A.F.C

Quote by Thrashtastic15
crunkym toy diuckl;ess ass ****igkjn ****** **** bitch ass pussy ****er douchecanoe ****** **** you s omn cnt you lieet le biutch