Did anyone compared strat and tele? I really don't 2. and 4. position on strat. I'm interested in difference between both single coils on tele vs middle single coil on strat. What is the difference in sound between these two options?
Basically, a Tele has a brighter, more trebbley kind of sound.
Strats had a more balanced and slightly darker tone.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
What Stonyman said and Tele's are the twangiest guitars around. They have a very harsh sound if overdriven and a very twangy clean sound thats great for country. Strats are just more typical sounding.
Yes, they would. Very much so. In my opinion, at least.
I think the biggest difference is in the mids--the classic Strat sound has lower, thinner mids, while the bridge pickup on a Tele is very mid-heavy.
Money beats soul every time.

Money beats soul...every time.

Money...beats soul...every...goddamn...time.
if you don't like 2 or 4 position on a strat you probably won't like the middle position on a tele.

Im not sure if thats what you are trying to say, cuz you are missing words in your op.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Most of the info in this thread is WRONG WRONG WRONG

Strats have more mids, generally speaking. Teles have more highs and lows, generally speaking.

Teles are about the initial note attack. Strats have a bit more "give" in the attack.

Teles do NOT have a harsh overdriven tone. Just listen to Led Zeppelin 1.

To the person who asked, Teles do blues and funk very well. Some funk: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fhz0m17y0Q
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

Quote by bingeandletgo
Most of the info in this thread is WRONG WRONG WRONG

Strats have more mids, generally speaking. Teles have more highs and lows, generally speaking.

Teles are about the initial note attack. Strats have a bit more "give" in the attack.

Teles do NOT have a harsh overdriven tone. Just listen to Led Zeppelin 1.

To the person who asked, Teles do blues and funk very well. Some funk: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fhz0m17y0Q

agreed. teles are sort of an extreme strat clean sound if you will. strats have a more mid quack and teles have a more twang bite. if you think of a metal guitar on the left, then a gibson on the right of the metal guitar, then a strat on the right of the gibby, then to the right you have the tele. thats sort of how i look at on a spectrum. of course pickups standard. bc there a few teles out there with dual HH. so then it would throw it off.

however guitar choice is usually a preference bc you will see metal played on teles. and strats. and gibsons for jazz etc.

it is mostly about feel. because one pickup in two different guitars through the same setup will mostly sound the same. most players of a certain guitar prefer the body style. then you can put whatever pikcups and neck even on said guitar. when people see someone they like play a tele so they go buy one. usually won't sound the same. Ive seen/read of artists getting squier teles even and the get a custom shop strat neck and some seymour humbuckers or whatever they like and thrash it.

thats why these which guitar threads are so subjective. people go buy a strat bc whom ever plays one. but said player has a modded amp or two at once and a whole rack setup and thirty five pedals. so unless its a custom and the same amp then you have some fooling around to do eq and pedal wise. You can usually get close with just a guitar and amp but not really nail it. That is why pros can have such a unique sound. even if they have the same guitar and amp and pickups. they might have one different pedal or whatever. one variable that makes their sound their sound.

with that said. find a guitar you like the feel and sound of and just play. don't focus too much on your gear.

sorry for the rantish post, im drunk, but thats the truth right there.
Last edited by treysonpwaters at Jun 4, 2011,
Tele's do average overated metal as well,
Take Jim Root from Slipknot.
His got ADD!
METAL!
Quote by Ultraussie
His got ADD!

+1 ^ they are cool live if you are on drugs tho. baseball bats and beer kegs? c'mon lol
My Tele would eat distortion pedals alive! Tele's not taking distortion is a lie.
Quote by the_perdestrian
if you don't like 2 or 4 position on a strat you probably won't like the middle position on a tele.

Im not sure if thats what you are trying to say, cuz you are missing words in your op.

I was on concert and my friend invited me to play some songs. It was some Metallica cover. I used Fender Mahogany HSS Strat (I used just middle pickup) and he used Gibson LP Studio (combination of both pickups). His comment was:

-"Dude,you play that just on middle pickup?"
-"It sounds 10x better than my LP"
-"Sick"
This is why I don't understand these arguments, any plank of wood, with a neck and scaled appropriately and picked up electrically can do any genre. People say a tele is one thing (single coils, metal bridge, string thru, brass saddles) then when people say can a tele do metal? everyone rushes in to say yeaaa, jim roots EMG tele, or the john five tele bastardization. Then you fight over the inherent EQ of guitars without thinking of what exactly the guitar your using is, vs what the next guy is. My strat is a single humbucker, is it still a strat? I guess that's to be decided. my tele is an esquire, with a texas special pickup, it's not the average tele, but then it is? I love these forums but, the spread of rumors, opinion hot air, and flat out misinformation isn't helpful. In the end preference largely comes to feel, and amp choice. with enough effects and distortion or creative EQ'ing in or out of the studio any guitar can be convincing enough to be used in any genre.

If you won't read that, basically every guitar has been used in every genre, blues has famous guys using anything from a cigar box to a flying V, playing clean is when you can really hear you're guitar for what it is, and not as a "carrier" of sounds and I Love my tele.
Depending on the specific guitar, the neck pickups can be similar, but the main difference is the bridge pickup. It tends to be kinda thinnish in a strat, and very twangy and i think fatter in a tele. Again, it may vary from guitar to guitar, but in my experience it's somewhere along these lines.

Added:
But personally for me, the selling point of a tele over a strat is the fixed bridge. I dont like single coils in the bridge, so I replaced them with those single coil sized humbuckers. But that's just me, ppl get amazing tones out of bridge single coils of either guitar.
Last edited by Rice_Pilot at Jun 5, 2011,
i would definitely say teles have a fuller sound than strats, contrary to what a lot of other people have said in this thread.

good teles have a very well balanced sound, but because the bridge pickup is mounted directly onto the very large bridge plate, the tone of the pickup is very well connected with your pick attack and really accentuates it a lot, and that's what gives you this very sharp, focussed sound. it's sharp and focussed. but it's certainly not thin or piercing, unless it's a crap tele.

strats on the other hand are a little more on the thin side, but they have a kind of sweeter tonality to them - a lot less mechanical than a tele.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Saint_Zg
Washburn Lyon Strat - Just middle pickup - http://www.box.net/shared/xrd519vap6
Record from my friend.. I think that eats tele's middle position.

Firstly, a Tele's middle position is the 2 pickups together, a Strat has a middle pickup, so it will sound completely different and both sounds will be used for different applications.

Secondly the clip sounded farty and messy like hell, not exactly how to demonstrate how something "eats" another thing.
Quote by JesusCrisp
Firstly, a Tele's middle position is the 2 pickups together, a Strat has a middle pickup, so it will sound completely different and both sounds will be used for different applications.

Secondly the clip sounded farty and messy like hell, not exactly how to demonstrate how something "eats" another thing.

Describe me this with words. Tnx.
There are 3 pickups on a Strat; 2 on a Tele. The middle position of a Strat is only the middle pickup, the middle position of a Tele is the two pickups in unison. While the Tele middle position is, quite literally, a mix between the neck and bridge pickups, complete with the "humbucking effect," the middle position of a Strat sounds like a single coil that's in between the sound of the strats neck and bridge position (it was originally a strat neck pickup that's been put it in the middle position, but now they're Reverse-wound and Reverse-polarity to create a humbucking effect on the 2 and 4 positions).
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by Ultraussie
His got ADD!

His signature guitars are all fitted with EMG humbuckers and are made of mahogany, they really don't count as teles.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.