Page 1 of 2
A Chinese teenager has sold a kidney to afford an iPad and a laptop.

Quote by Article
"I wanted to buy an iPad 2 but could not afford it," Zheng told the Daily. "A broker contacted me on the Internet and said he could help me sell one kidney for 20,000 yuan."
So, on April 28, the high-schooler left his home in the Anhui province to have his kidney removed in the Hunan province of China, according to reports from both Shanghai Daily and the Global Times newspaper.
Zheng got his 20,000 yuan, which is equal to about $3,100, and returned home with a laptop and an iPad 2, according to a report from the BBC.
When Zheng's mother noticed the computers and a "deep red scar on his body, which was caused by the surgery," the teen confessed to selling his kidney.

Sauce: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2011/06/chinese-teen-reportedly-sells-his-kidney-to-buy-an-apple-ipad-2.html

Opinions?
Wow, meanwhile I found the latest Ipod touch just laying in the grass and have since been using it...
Keep you doped with religion and sex and TV
And you think you're so clever and class less and free
But you're still fucking peasants as far as I can see

A working class hero is something to be.
You should sell yours to find the search bar lolololol

but seriously, it is obviously part of the underground organ trafficking. this kid should have just saved up the money and bought next year's product. I wonder how he'll feel whn his ipad becomes outdated.
Last edited by sticksause at Jun 4, 2011,
Pfft, kindey.

Over here in Jiangan province, we sell our lungs.
Quote by Athabasca
My ex did the same. Cheated on me and then acted like I'd given her sister a facial. Women are retarded.
I'm getting this feeling of Deja Vu..................
You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User
Quote by seeneyj

THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Quote by necrosis1193

So now this kid sold the other one?

Oh, never mind. TS is just slow.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
There was already a thread with a bunch of people thinking that militant, unethical advertising and organ trafficking was just the funniest damn thing they've heard.
Quote by due 07
There was already a thread with a bunch of people thinking that militant, unethical advertising and organ trafficking was just the funniest damn thing they've heard.

Fuck you. How about answering my questions then if you're so goddamn smart?

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=27329736&postcount=44

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Poor parenting? Anyone?
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by due 07

That's ehh... a big jump. Blame the morally bankrupt organ traffickers, and the kid for his own idiocy.
Quote by Xiaoxi
Fuck you. How about answering my questions then if you're so goddamn smart?

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=27329736&postcount=44
Alright, I forgot all about that thread until this one. I don't see why you are so quickly on the offensive though .

Quote by Xiaoxi
Really? And which part of China do you live in that you see this?
I don't live in China, but I'm sure you know this judging by your tone.

Quote by Xiaoxi
You know what's fucking sick? You being brainwashed by western propaganda.
I have never seen anything about organ trafficking through in any medium of Western propaganda. Aljazeera, beezy.

Also, lawl I can say 'fuck' without bolding any letters.
Quote by blackflag49
That's ehh... a big jump. Blame the morally bankrupt organ traffickers, and the kid for his own idiocy.

No, that's impossible. You can never hold the moron accountable for his own moronic decisions.

Instead, it's fascist China. Due 07 knows a thing or two about China because he's read some articles in the western media that clearly has no bias against China. It's also Apple's sick consumerism. Due 07 hates consumerism and is impartial toward this whole culture. That's why he specifically scrutinizes Apple for not explicitly prohibiting anyone from selling their organs to obtain Apple products, despite no other company in the world has such a thing. Due 07 doesn't have personal, materialistic sentiments against Apple, a business entity. Nope, not at all.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
No, that's impossible. You can never hold the moron accountable for his own moronic decisions.

Instead, it's fascist China. Due 07 knows a thing or two about China because he's read some articles in the western media that clearly has no bias against China. It's also Apple's sick consumerism. Due 07 hates consumerism and is impartial toward this whole culture. That's why he specifically scrutinizes Apple for not explicitly prohibiting anyone from selling their organs to obtain Apple products, despite no other company in the world has such a thing. Due 07 doesn't have personal, materialistic sentiments against Apple, a business entity. Nope, not at all.
First off, quit talking down on this kid plox. You and I are no better than him. And I told you, I really don't get my information about China from Western media. I am weary to accept anything I hear from Western media as fact, trust me. I don't know where you are getting the thing about me wanting them to say "Oh yeah, don't sell your kidney for this shit." I don't think Apple (or any company, obviously) should put anyone in the position where people will sell their kidneys for Apple's products.
Last edited by due 07 at Jun 4, 2011,
Quote by due 07
Alright, I forgot all about that thread until this one. I don't see why you are so quickly on the offensive though .
Because you're trying to patronize me by offering your pathetically shitty and inaccurate world views.

I don't live in China

Yet you claim with expertise that "it's not uncommon to see a man sell his organs for food in China."

Let me make a minor amendment to your astute observations: it IS fucking uncommon to see a man sell his organs for food in China.

How do you not see that it's offensive for you to be spouting ignorant bullshit slandering China?

The essence of what you imply is that "China is so shitty that this kid's idiotic decision was out of his will because fascist China (and Apple) forced him through the horrible living conditions to sell his organs for an iPad 2."

I have never seen anything about organ trafficking through in any medium of Western propaganda. Aljazeera, beezy.
The fact that you can make such an absurd claim at all just by reading a few articles, ANY articles, is embarrassing.

Also, lawl I can say 'fuck' without bolding any letters.

Christ, I don't give a fuck.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Jun 4, 2011,
Quote by Xiaoxi

I like your style, Mr. Xiaoxi.

Also, I don't know how you could blame Apple. What if he sold his kidney to buy a Blackberry or a Toshiba TV? It's such an out-of-the-box case that you can't blame the company for it.

Edit: an idea for the next Apple slogan:
"Our products are so good that people sell their kidneys for them!"
Last edited by Vitor_vdp at Jun 4, 2011,
Quote by Xiaoxi
Because you're trying to patronize me by offering your pathetically shitty and inaccurate world views.

Yet you claim with expertise that "it's not uncommon to see a man sell his organs for food in China."

Let me make a minor amendment to your astute observations: it IS fucking uncommon to see a man sell his organs for food in China.

How do you not see that it's offensive for you to be spouting ignorant bullshit slandering China?

The fact that you can make such an absurd claim at all just by reading a few articles, ANY articles, is embarrassing.

Terribly sorry if I offended you with my opinion. My intent wasn't to slander China, sorry you took it that way. You seem a little irate and hostile right now, and it's not that fun to talk to you. So I'm going to maybe give you some time to cool down.

Quote by Xiaoxi
el oh el
Quote by due 07
Terribly sorry if I offended you with my opinion. My intent wasn't to slander China, sorry you took it that way.

Right, so if there was an article about some morbidly obese man in the US, you don't think there's anything wrong if I said:

You don't know what it's like! If you live in the US, you must be obese because there's nothing but hamburgers and cheese fries. It's not uncommon to see a family eat hamburgers for breakfast, hamburgers for lunch, and then more hamburgers for dinner. Their culture makes it pretty much impossible to avoid eating McDonalds. So think before you ridicule him for his lack of self control.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
Right, so if there was an article about some morbidly obese man in the US, you don't think there's anything wrong if I said:

You don't know what it's like! If you live in the US, you must be obese because there's nothing but hamburgers and cheese fries. It's not uncommon to see a family eat hamburgers for breakfast, hamburgers for lunch, and then more hamburgers for dinner. Their culture makes it pretty much impossible to avoid eating McDonalds. So think before you ridicule him for his lack of self control.

I agree with you and disagre wiht him, but to be fair, there are six McDonald's within the five mile radius around my house, as well as a billion other fast food chains, and my parents make me eat at them all the time.

Sorry, I will get the **** out. I have no self control

Serious post: This is a tragic situation. I don't blame Apple (I think that would be absurd), but I don't think we should be laughing at the kid.
Last edited by slipknot5678 at Jun 4, 2011,
Quote by Xiaoxi

I have to admit. I laughed. I know people that have a baby practically addicted to mcdonalds. So. Yeah. Go america.
Quote by Xiaoxi

Sounds about right to me
Quote by due 07
First off, quit talking down on this kid plox. You and I are no better than him.
I don't know about you, but I am DEFINITELY better than him. If I could survive in the hellhole that is Apple China where you are forced to eat your organs-bought food on an iPad plate while watching brainwashing commercials on Apple TV without resorting to selling my organs, I am better than him. Coincidentally, 99% of all the oppressed in China have fared better than him. I don't know if we're just lucky or maybe China isn't as bad as you make it out to be.

I don't think Apple (or any company, obviously) should put anyone in the position where people will sell their kidneys for Apple's products.

Yet you paint this hilariously over sensationalized image of them:
Apple mercilessly shoves their products down people's brainthroats, all for profit. They don't care how people get the money to buy their product, as long as it is bought.

Give me a fucking break.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Jun 4, 2011,
Quote by Alex Vik
Sounds about right to me

I recently saw a car of 4 obese people... as they passed me, they were all devouring McDonalds Hambugers and fries. It was just one of those "this can't be happeneing " types of things.
I hate apple.

Got an Ipod Nano? You're pretty much only paying more for the brand name.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Quote by Woffelz
I hate apple.

Got an Ipod Nano? You're pretty much only paying more for the brand name.

The current generation 16GB Nano is cheaper than a Zune and Cowon of the same capacity, and it's pretty much one of the most portable MP3 players to date (with a screen). If it's as good / better / worse than the other alternatives, I'm not sure. But the price is competitive.
Now go back to riding your bike and insulting chavs.
Last edited by Vitor_vdp at Jun 4, 2011,
Quote by Vitor_vdp
The current generation 16GB Nano is cheaper than a Zune and Cowon of the same capacity, and it's pretty much one of the most portable MP3 player to date (with a screen). If it's as good / better / worse than the other alternatives, I'm not sure. But the price is competitive.
Now go back to riding your bike and insulting chavs.

Oh my god. You're definitely cool to jump on the bandwagon.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Quote by Woffelz
Oh my god. You're definitely cool to jump on the bandwagon.

How is he jumping on any bandwagon? He's right, it is cheaper than other comparable MP3 players. You're the one who's jumping on a bandwagon with all the other people who hate on Apple products for no reason.
Quote by Xiaoxi
I don't know about you, but I am DEFINITELY better than him. If I could survive in the hellhole that is Apple China where you are forced to eat your organs-bought food on an iPad plate while watching brainwashing commercials on Apple TV without resorting to selling my organs, I am better than him. Coincidentally, 99% of all the oppressed in China have fared better than him. I don't know if we're just lucky or maybe China isn't as bad as you make it out to be.
I really hope you don't think you are better than this kid as a person, as a fellow human.

Quote by Xiaoxi

Well I obviously don't mean everyone sells their kidneys all the time. Everyone's brain works differently, and this kid god affected by society in a way that made him think it was reasonable to sell his kidney for a computer. It's not something to be laughing at is all.
Quote by due 07
First off, quit talking down on this kid plox. You and I are no better than him. And I told you, I really don't get my information about China from Western media. I am weary to accept anything I hear from Western media as fact, trust me. I don't know where you are getting the thing about me wanting them to say "Oh yeah, don't sell your kidney for this shit." I don't think Apple (or any company, obviously) should put anyone in the position where people will sell their kidneys for Apple's products.

Without being pompous, I'm going to have to 100% disagree with you on that one. I've gotta believe that if you wouldn't sell a kidney for something as self gratifying and superfluous as an iPad, then you're a better person than someone who would.

It's not like he sold his kidney to raise money for his friend's operation -

and as far as the discussion about his nationality - I don't see how it matters. Stupid is stupid no matter what country or nation it comes from, and the only ones responsible for behavior like this are the boy and his parents.

And for the record - talking about something you have no first hand concept of is always a bad idea - whether it's a country, place, thing, situation, and so on - unless you're asking in a way that'll inform you.

I think Xiao has every right to be upset as a native of that culture. What was said here is basically slamming one stupid act into a bracket that makes his entire community look bad, intentional or not.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Idk why, but i was lurking this thread, it must be the hell of hangover i have right now ha
Since 2002 using UG. This page teached me how to play guitar and help'd me to embrace the passion of my life: Music.
Makes sense, I hear China is a fascist police state and there is a very big consumerist culture over there. Considering the enormous amount of poverty in the labor force which comprises the majority of their population it's not unusual for someone to sell a kidney or part of their liver just to put rice on the table.
Quote by strat0blaster
Without being pompous, I'm going to have to 100% disagree with you on that one. I've gotta believe that if you wouldn't sell a kidney for something as self gratifying and superfluous as an iPad, then you're a better person than someone who would.
No, you're not. That sounds awful. You think you are more valuable as a human because you are capable of a bit more foresight/rational thought?

Anyways, organ trafficking is a problem in China, more so than in many Western countries. I'm certainly not trying to slander China by saying this, I'm just stating a fact. A middle class American teenager might not even be aware of the existence of organ trafficking, and they may not know that it is a huge problem globally. That's why I think some people find this so funny.
Quote by due 07
No, you're not. That sounds awful. You think you are more valuable as a human because you are capable of a bit more foresight/rational thought?

Why does that sound awful? You don't think you're a better person than a mass murderer?

Philosophically, every soul weighs the same, in my opinion, but as a person, yes, I believe that most of us are better people than someone who would sell an internal organ in order to get an iPad. What's noble or honorable about that? It's not like a desperate times, desperate measures thing - it's an iPad. He wasn't doing it for someone's operation or to feed his starving family - he wanted a stupid gadget that really is only popular because of a social connotation, and was so drastically swayed by a public opinion that he actually gave himself over to questionable surgery in order to obtain it. That's selfish and despicable, in my opinion. Do I consider myself a better person than someone like that? Yes, 100% I do, and you should too.

Do I consider myself a better persona than someone like MLK Jr. or Gandhi? No. They've done more for others than I may ever be able to accomplish. I have a lot of work to do before I'm even remotely close to any level of decency they've shown.

The point is it's not arrogance, but a basic understanding of value systems - it's not much to do with rational thought. Selling body parts for a piece of computer technology that's entirely superfluous and unnecessary is stupid, no matter how you cut it, and this boy's parents should be ashamed.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Page 1 of 2