Hey guys!
lately, me and a friend of mine have been performing on the street.
I was just wondering what songs are best to play, when on the street. Band consists of 2 guitars
We've mostly played Emmanuels - The Hunt , and just jammed alot. Gonna learn some more Emmanuel soon, but what else?

btw, playing on the street is awesome :P
Beatles or some Micheal Jackson. THAT will get attention from the crowd. Even if it's an instrumental
If you don't mind feeling like a dirty *****, most top 40 pop stuff is remarkably easy to learn and fake your way through. If you can carry the main vocal melody and strum a few chords behind it that sounds close enough to the song, people will eat that shit up.
Quote by Jesus_Dean
There's bound to be a drummer here that can help you, otherwise check YouTube for tutorial vids.
Quote by yoduh4077
MY TIME HAS COME.
Quote by Jesus_Dean
^^^See! Told ya so!
If you want money, play popular songs. Anything but that and you're just having an outdoor practice session.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
popular songs ok...but do u guys have any specific songs, that rly sound good on the street with 2 acoustic guitars? :P something that is originally played with acoustic guitar
Quote by rockingamer2
If you want money, play popular songs. Anything but that and you're just having an outdoor practice session.

Not completely true at all.

Personally, I would rather give (and give more) money to someone playing an old song I liked as opposed to someone playing "Banana Pancakes"/"Hey There Delilah"/bullshit like that...in fact, the only money I'd give them is enough to buy their guitar so they could never play it again.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Quote by Naruto00121
Beatles or some Micheal Jackson. THAT will get attention from the crowd. Even if it's an instrumental

Always this
Plain White Ts--Hey There Delilah, 1234
Adele-Rolling in the Deep
Pretty much anything from the Beatles' early career (pre-white album)
Every Rose Has Its Thorn--Bret Michaels (this physically pains me to list)
Swing Life Away-Rise Against

It depends a lot on who your target audience is. When I busk, it's a lot of college kids or 40-somethings (weird juxtaposition, I know). So I naturally try to play songs that they would know/like (Ke$ha and Katy Perry versus Jackson 5 and the Beatles).
Quote by SonOfPest
Its the Lydian mode; formed in Eastern Arabia when the Persians invaded England.

Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
try the sexolydian scale.
Quote by Sleaze Disease
Not completely true at all.

Personally, I would rather give (and give more) money to someone playing an old song I liked as opposed to someone playing "Banana Pancakes"/"Hey There Delilah"/bullshit like that...in fact, the only money I'd give them is enough to buy their guitar so they could never play it again.
Yeah but the proportion of people who will give money for someone playing "Hey There Delilah" is much greater than those who would give money for an old obscure rock song. So if you're aim is to make money then you want to play songs that most people like.

TS, you might not want to play songs like "Hey There Delilah", I know I certainly wouldn't and you don't necessarily have to. What I suggest you do is try and find popular songs that you like. Eg. I've played Seven Nation Army busking and it's gone down pretty well. I've also stretched to stuff like Kings of Leon (the new stuff people know) even though I don't really like it because it's a crowd pleaser.

I guess it depends what you're aim is, but if you want to be sucessful/make money then popular music is the way to go. Unless you can play something really impressive. I don't mean shredding, think of people who play something like violin. They won't be playing well known stuff but if they can sound really good then they'll still get money. I think that's possible on the guitar too but it's very hard.
Last edited by 12345abcd3 at Jun 5, 2011,
the audience im aiming for are tourists :P
one offered me 10 euros, if i'd play a deep purple song which i didnt know lol.
Quote by 12345abcd3
I guess it depends what you're aim is, but if you want to be sucessful/make money then popular music is the way to go. Unless you can play something really impressive. I don't mean shredding, think of people who play something like violin. They won't be playing well known stuff but if they can sound really good then they'll still get money. I think that's possible on the guitar too but it's very hard.

You would hope so but that's not always the case.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/04/AR2007040401721.html

Sure he made some money but for the amount of people that passed by and how great he is, it's not that much.
can you guys give some specific songs? :P
something good for 2 acoustics, something latin would be nice
My friend and I are going to start street performing, most likely by just taking turns playing over the others chord progression. Improv > cover songs.
If you can both sing then this always goes down a treat (it does for me at least), especially if it's just stopped raining!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiPWoBFYpNc

One play guitar and the other hold off, with one singing the main melody and the other what Bobby's singing. The audience love it and they think you came up with it - makes you feel dirty but it's good fun :P
Your best bet is to always play what you are comfortable playing. The longer the song too, not to long, but not 3 minutes jobbers. People aren't going to hang around for long so there's no reason to try and fit 30 song in an hour or anything.
Quote by MikeDodge
Your best bet is to always play what you are comfortable playing. The longer the song too, not to long, but not 3 minutes jobbers. People aren't going to hang around for long so there's no reason to try and fit 30 song in an hour or anything.

To add to this: it is also often a good idea to make 3 minute popular songs last 10-15 minutes if you can stand it and see that the crowd is moving rather than hanging around. If you busk somewhere where people stand for a while like train platforms then dragging songs out can get people annoyed - annoyed people will sometimes come yell at and harass you which isn't fun.
just start playing some good jam songs with repeating chord progressions that sound good w/ 2 acoustics...

all along the watchtower
check out some Simon and Garfunkle... late in the evening especially, but stuff like me and julio, homeward bound... stuff like that. All very recognizable

Dispatch has lots of great songs for this also... check 'cover this' and 'the general'

Play some Van Morrison... most of his stuff is in G and is tons of open chords. Brown eyed girl and stoned me are great acoustic covers.

You can play the entire Joshua Tree album with a couple acoustics also. Everyone knows U2 and those songs sound good unplugged and Bono's vocals are pretty managable for a blue collar singer type

Mix some popular stuff with some edgy stuff...

Tons of Beatles stuff sounds great unplugged.

good luck
he of tranquil mind
Quote by Naruto00121

This.

EDIT: Why would anyone bump this?
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!