So, i can play/improvise the minor scale pretty easy around the neck. Im trying to learn the harmonic minor scale. The problem is that whenever the maj7 interval comes, im so used to play a minor7th interval. How did you guys learn it?
practicepracticepractice. i know, everytime i have any sort of trouble i'm greatly tempted to make a thread here too, but all we can tell you is to practice, there are no shortcuts in which you instantly know where the major 7s are, u just have to figure it out.
Learn the notes of the scale/s so you know how and where the differences between them are. You're probably so firmly rooted in patterns that it's hard to deviate from them.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Practice it. I still have to actively remember that the 7th is raised.
My guitar teacher threw harmonic and melodic minor at me both on the same day, so one way I keep them straight is by remembering that H is before M alphabetically, so only 1 sharp...
play it really really slowly and then gradually speed up
Quote by mr.happyman
so she took off my pants and was gonna give me dome (head). fukk yeah, free dome (head) (i'm used to hiring prostitutes).as she inched her head closer to my pen0r, she pulled her hand outta nowhere and sandpapered my mini mr.happyman!
You should be choosing your notes based on what you want to hear, not simply letting your fingers do what they're used to.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
is just a another finger or what is the problem?....

If you use harmonic minor your chords will change ,too. so prepare the chords for it and you will want to play it volentary....
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IF YOU READ 'H' I MEAN 'B'

GERMAN H = AMERICAN B

Play the note a half step behind the root.

That'll be the note. Practice going back a fret and return to the root.

Best,

Sean

By the way, practically speaking, most of the time the chords DON'T change, except for the V chord, but that's something you see all the time in a Minor key, it's the most common chord "modification" and all it does is pull the V back to the root with a stronger resolution.
Quote by Sean0913
By the way, practically speaking, most of the time the chords DON'T change, except for the V chord, but that's something you see all the time in a Minor key, it's the most common chord "modification" and all it does is pull the V back to the root with a stronger resolution.

Yeah, you usually won't see the viio or the III+ for obvious reasons. In most classical pieces that are in a minor key, it's assumed you're borrowing the V from the harmonic minor, yet the augmented second interval (from b6 to 7) is usually avoided. Hint: That's why melodic minor was invented!
Nothing that is worthwhile in life will ever come easy.
When you are learning the harmonic minor, be tuned into the context of the raised 7th.

The most common time to use the raised 7th is when you are playing over the V chord.

So in A-minor, the E chord will often be constructed as E major rather than E minor. At that point you would use the G# rather than the G.
Quote by Sean0913
Right cause instead of learn to sing it, they just changed it instead.

Sean

Singers back then could sing the augmented 2nd fine, melodic minor just generally sounds smoother when approaching the cadence.
Last edited by griffRG7321 at Jun 5, 2011,
Quote by tmcdaniels
When you are learning the harmonic minor, be tuned into the context of the raised 7th.

The most common time to use the raised 7th is when you are playing over the V chord.

So in A-minor, the E chord will often be constructed as E major rather than E minor. At that point you would use the G# rather than the G.

Why is the e chord a major instead of a minor?
I learned it by playing some music that incorporates the two scales. A simple Im-V7 vamp will practically force you to use both scales.

Try:

||: Am | Am | E7 | E7 :||

Play A Natural Minor for the Am chord and play A Harmonic Minor for the E7 chord. It'll help you break your habits and force you to "play along" to whats going on harmonically.