hey guys i wanna know. is it possible to install pickups into an acoustic guitar to make it into an acoustic-electric? would the original tone of the guitar be affected cos drilling is involved right? i'm not really sure bout this cos i've never seen acoustic pickups being sold separately before.

thanks!
Lots of people put aftermarket pickups in their acoustics. Not all pickups require a tonne of drilling/routing (the least you'll have to do is drill out the rear strap pin hole for the endpin jack). Some pickups come with large preamps that are mounted in a hole on the side of the guitar. This hole would have to be routed out, and it would definitely change the tone. Some pickups are much simpler and lightweight, and just mount under the bridgeplate or soundboard with glue or tape. I personally prefer K&K pickups, particularly the Pure Mini+Volume, which only has a soundhole-mounted volume control, and the rest is lightweight and invisible. Best acoustic tone i've gotten out of a pickup. Happy hunting!
Acoustics:
1994 Seagull SM6
2007 Takamine G5013SVFT

Electrics:
2008 Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain Top (Cherryburst)
1964 Gibson Melody Maker D (DC)

Amps:
Traynor YGL-1

Pedals
MXR Distortion III (C4 Modded)
You can do it. I install aftermarket pickups in all of my guitars. I use LR baggs and it's pretty much invisible and doesn't have any effect on the tone.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
ah damn. i gotta hunt for them pickups now. can anyone tell me bout this pickups? i've got no clue about them. what am i looking for?
Here:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/New-Gear.gc?internal=1&src=acoustic+pickups

Tons available. What you are looking for is a piezo pickup. A piezo is just a bit of quartz crystal mounted on a thin piece of metal or wood. It detects vibration, and the signals from it are sent to your amplifier.
Some models incorporate a pre-amp with some tone controls. If the tone controls are mounted in the guitar, you have what's called an "acoustic/electric" guitar. You don't have to do that at all, you can just adjust tone at your amp, or you can run the signal into a separate pre-amp/control unit as well.

Even easier is a soundhole pickup. This is an electromagnetic pickup, similar to an electric guitar pickup, that simply sticks into the soundhole.
Most of them end up not sounding much like your guitar's normal acoustic sound, it's more like a semi-hollowbody electric.
Still, they are cheap and easy to use and lots of pros use them.
Last edited by Bikewer at Jun 4, 2011,
For you, I would look into a soundhole magnetic pickup or something along the lines of that. I hate the way piezos sound but you could also look into that. The K&K and Baggs systems the other poster and I mentioned might well cost as much as your guitar.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
... would it be easier and cheaper to buy another yamaha acoustic/electric for 600 bucks?
Quote by onlyoneleft
... would it be easier and cheaper to buy another yamaha acoustic/electric for 600 bucks?

no
Quote by DaFizzle
Periods are only a myth made up by woman to have more things to cry about, its the same with birth pains. Because i imagine its like having a shite and i quite enjoy turding.

Quote by SoftParade1967
subway?
Quote by Exo M7
he needs a ride not a sandwich ****ing retard
you can buy a k&k pure western mini for less than $100 and have it installed for $100 if you don't want to install it yourself, so no - it wouldn't be cheaper.

Quote by onlyoneleft
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!