I wanted to see what playing an explorer was like, so the Epi Goth was cheap enough to mess with. There was no way in hell I was going to leave the original pickups.

It got new Seymour Duncan Blackouts, metal pick up rings, all black hardware, new wiring, switch, and pots, painted flat black pick guard and headstock, a string retainer, new knobs, and a custom steel jack plate.

I'll post the finished results soon. The axe sounds massive, though, the Blackouts kick!
Last edited by FlorinC at Jun 4, 2011,
What sort of paint did you use for the pickguard and headstock?
i have a goth SG and have been considering a similar overhaul.

OT: LOOKS FREAKING AWESOME!
Nice Job Man!
Thanks, man! I used a lacquer based flat black sprayed via compressor gun. The paint is by ML Cambell, a lacquer you can get at Janovic Paint. It is not as flat as whatever the hell they put on that Explorer, but it blends in nicely.

As an alternative, Krylon flat black works well also. Just remember to scuff the hell out of it first.
I think it would have looked awesome with a diamond plate pickguard a la James Hetfield but it does look nice, good job.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Thanks for the tip on the paint! i'll be doing my overhaul this suumer and ill be sure to make a thread
Quote by eddiehimself
I think it would have looked awesome with a diamond plate pickguard a la James Hetfield but it does look nice, good job.

Yeah they look great with diamond plate pickguards, I've got one on mine and I chromed out the hardware too (see pic below). I think the Epi goth series are great to customize. I love mine. I play it more than my other guitars. I chose EMG's (81 & 60) for mine but Blackouts are great too.
These Goths just seem to be begging for overhauls! lol Nice one, man!
Quote by zakkwyldefan79
Yeah they look great with diamond plate pickguards, I've got one on mine and I chromed out the hardware too (see pic below). I think the Epi goth series are great to customize. I love mine. I play it more than my other guitars. I chose EMG's (81 & 60) for mine but Blackouts are great too.

I bought to sell a goth explorer once. Almost wish i kept it now. (hell i made £80 so i'm not complaining lol)
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."