http://soundcloud.com/lights-4/ghosts-in-the-walls

So yeah, as the title implies this is my first go at writing/preforming/producing a post rock song (i usually do something along the lines of metal). So share with me your thoughts about everything on this track. PS the drums in the start were intentionally quiet, and I'm now having seconds thoughts on that lol.
Thanks in advance
Well, I am pretty much a noob when it comes to post rock, I do have some Mogwai on my comp, but never came to listening to it yet. So I just kinda say what this music evokes in me.. I like the atmosphere the guitars create, drums could have done a bit more than just that snare roll. If you think in terms of climaxes or something, I think the climax was not strong enough. But that's just the point of view from a noob, as i said . Maybe/Probably the real connaisseurs will dig it more than me.
The part from where the drums starts sounds very EITS-ish, pretty good. There's just not enough variation for a full post-rock track, but it's a good start.

Thanks man, EITS are one of my biggest influences and i came into this with a mentality to just do some typical post rock stuff and not get experimental just yet, so that's no surprise to me.

Well, I am pretty much a noob when it comes to post rock, I do have some Mogwai on my comp, but never came to listening to it yet. So I just kinda say what this music evokes in me.. I like the atmosphere the guitars create, drums could have done a bit more than just that snare roll. If you think in terms of climaxes or something, I think the climax was not strong enough. But that's just the point of view from a noob, as i said . Maybe/Probably the real connaisseurs will dig it more than me.

I had the idea of foreshadowing the climax drums in the first half of the song, but in the end it just ended up sounding like a repetitive drum riff haha
Thanks for your comment on my Friday track!

First off, unfortunately the first thing I noticed in your track was the guitar clipping at the intro. Could be my speakers, but they're pretty nice and i'm listening to it through my receiver, so Idk. May want to drop the gain on that track just a tad. Overall though, the progression was great and the quality was good enough. I felt as though it transitioned a little weird at 2:00, something you mentioned on my track as well. It's not bad, but if you worked on it a little bit you could probably make it smoother.

All around good solid mellow track. Keep up the good work!
Hey there, thanks for the crit dude.

I do listen to Mogwai now and then, and I actually just finished the first track for my album and there are a few similarities It needs a bit of work still I think, in the vein of post rock there is that element of repetitiveness but I've think you've taken it a tad too far in that respect, as not much is being added on top of the original guitar part...

The drum beat is great when it kicks in, it would be cool if it got louder and eventually when the guitar drops off just have the drum going by itself for a few bars with just noise that's gradually built through the song.

EDIT: Oh also! Production-wise I think the drums needs coming up in the mix a tad, also some bass would be good

I really like the direction you're going dude, as I say just needs a little bit of tweaking and more stuff going on!
Last edited by jamie29h at Jun 4, 2011,
Hey man, critting as I listen:

The guitars start off very forward and fast. I'm used to something slower if think of postrock, but as someone already said, it's very EITS like. I'm not a huge fan of the dirty sounding guitar, though. I try a little less dirt and a bit more clarity, but it's your tone, so do whatever you like!

the drums are sounding pretty cool when they come in. Very roomy but a tad to repetetive for my taste.

I kind of noticing a build up here. But then it just fades away. The guitars in the second part are very EITS like and so is the overall sound. I really like that. Though the drums are getting a bit ennoying over the time, maybe try to change them a bit instead of playing the same bar over and over. Or try playing with the velocity of the drums, that could help a lot. They're not bad, but they could be a lot better.

Overall, I'm really missing an overall direction in this song. And it's a bit sad that you wasted the great buildup you had at around 1:46 I think you could have made more out of it.

Also, there is something very booming in the background in the second part, sound a bit like feedback? Not sure if it's really in the song or if my speakers are the problem. Maybe a Pad with to much bass on it?

Anyway, it is a nice song, that could use some improvement.

C4C?

Gear:
Ibanez SZ320 -> Höfner Analouge Delay -> MXR GT-OD -> Laney GH50L -> T.C.Electronics GMajor -> Line6 4x12 w/ Celestion G12T-75

My Lyrics and Poems

"with golden hair and perfect eyes,

with hollow words and empty lies."
although i'm not used to post-rock, i truly enjoyed the ambient atmospheric nature of your track.
i think you could do better in terms of the structure of your song, though- try give a sense of accumulation to a point where it climaxes.
although i expected the song to climax at several points, it didn't, even though it had the potential to.
for example, you could use a heavier sounding drum rhythm and create a thicker texture by adding guitar layers to back up your main riff.

overall, the ideas are nice, enjoyable and original, but you should put some more though into it to make it an overall solid track.
Cheers