Hello Everyone,

I love my acoustic guitar, but I find it's very hard to play barre chords. My guitar currently has 12's, which I guess is standard for acoustics. I want to put extra light strings on it. I was going to bring it to a shop and have them make the adjustments. What adjustments would I have to make for this? Would it only require a truss rod adjustment, or would there be any irreversible adjustments that need to be made?

Thanks in advance
Please view my first ever recording on my profile - Tangerine by Led Zeppelin

Guitars:
Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez EW20ASE acoustic

Amp:
Peavey XXX EFX 40
I may be wrong, but you only have to get the truss rod adjusted if you're putting on thicker strings. I played with 10-46 electric guitar strings on my acoustic for years and I've never needed it adjusted.
Yep, I'm going to thinner strings on an acoustic. Thanks for the reply.
Please view my first ever recording on my profile - Tangerine by Led Zeppelin

Guitars:
Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez EW20ASE acoustic

Amp:
Peavey XXX EFX 40
There might be some fret buzz because lighter strings = less tension. If that happens you need to adjust the truss rod because the neck is too straight. Easiest solution is to have it set up at a shop.
I'm dancing in the moonlight
It's caught me in its spotlight
Dancing in the moonlight
On this long hot summer night

Martin D-28
you will find that 10's are wwwaaayyyyy easier to barre, but they can sound"tinny" when you are accustomed to hearing 12's on your guitar. Anyway ya it would be a good idea to get it setup at a shop, pretty cheap usually and if you are a beginner/novice you'll be glad you did.
Check out "thelastplaceyoulook" on YouTube, iTunes and [url="http://facebook.com/thelastplaceyoulook
"]Facebook
we use 10's or silk and steels on our guitars except my blueridge, and often we do have to tweak the truss rod about 1/4 turn when changing a guitar from 12's to 10's. once in a while, a guitar hasn't needed the truss rod adjusted but they usually do.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
It is simple enough to put the lighter strings on & if it buzzes worry about it then. As Patti says it may require a minute adjustment, Just remember when adjusting the truss rod dont just turn the screw/nut/bolt, I have found that unless you pull/push the neck in the direction you want to go (adding the required relief in whichever direction is needed) then adjust the truss rod as you are holding the neck in relief position. This works , it has been my experiance if you just adjust the nut/bolt/screw on the end of the truss rod ,you will likely strip it before it does much in the way of relief. Im sure everyone will jump on this ,,what can I say this is how I do it & it works. make your own mind up.
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

Head Drug Tester of Australians FTWclub
PM the_random_hero for entry

Prime Minister of the UG archtop acoustic players club,
PM Keef_is_King
to join!