Hey so ive found a Peavey triple X for cheap thats just been re tubed (£330)

Ive heard mix reviews on these and some sound clips which sound impressive.

I play post hardcore/alternative rock but also play 'deathcore' and heavier stuff,
I have my valve king head for cleans so im not fussed about clean channel much
I can't hear it until i go to pickup because its quite a while away.

Some reviews said there 'similar' to the 6505 which i like the tone of, Prefer ENGL sounding heads though but since this is going cheap i though why not even if its used for a backup.

Really my question is, will this be an upgrade from my valve king?

Thanks. (my gear is in my signature)
Last edited by smokeysteve22 at Jun 4, 2011,
Yes a pretty good upgrade at that. The xxx is soposed to be voiced more like a Recto and it gets into the mesa territory pretty good. I like the xxx, but it can tend to get a little muddy if your not careful with the EQ.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
yes imo it's a huge upgrade from valve-king, i personally hate the cleans of the VK compared to the XXX, 6505, 3120 etc..also the distortion from the VK is pretty weak compared to the XXX so i would say it's definitely an upgrade.
It would be perfect for what you do.
It really wont sound like a 6505/5150 at all though but 330 is a good deal and it'd be able to do what you want it to do easily.
Put it this way i have the ultra plus which is the to predecessor to the triple x, it is awesome but it is supposed to have less gain and it has way more then what i need for br00tz. No boost for tightness is required either. A lot of people boost there 6505s to tighten them up but i doubt you'd need to with a triple x.
If the clean channel is anything like my ultra it'll be decent.
Definitely an upgrade from a VK all around.
Last edited by coolstoryangus at Jun 4, 2011,
ive used one and giged with it, it may have just been the amp but it sounded like shit.
really muddy and noisy.( i have a high end ibanez so i know the noise wasnt from my guitar)
but like i said it may have just been THAT amp.
so id maybe test it out if you can before you buy just to give it a once over.
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
Last edited by the_white_bunny at Jun 4, 2011,
Yep. I've got a Triple XXX and can get decent hard rockish tones with the "Brown Sound By Cutting Down" thingy (EL34s, turn the EQ all the way down, bring up the mids till you get crunch, bring up the bass till it compresses, crank the MV flat out). Remember, it's got an active EQ, which doesn't sound natural if you're used to amps with passive EQ (e.g. all of them), but you can get used to it. Cleans are beautiful, too.

EDIT: Whitebunny, that's the active EQ. It's noisy and sounds bizarre at first. That's why I turn the EQ down and cut the active EQ out of the signal path.
Money beats soul every time.

Money beats soul...every time.

Money...beats soul...every...goddamn...time.
Last edited by AeolianSeventh at Jun 4, 2011,
They are good amps, its my main amp and has been for years, but you WILL need a noise gate. They are very loud and tend to feed back a lot when you arent playing. I just have a Boss NS-2 but it works great for cutting feedback and hiss you would normally get from the amp
Quote by AeolianSeventh
Yep. I've got a Triple XXX and can get decent hard rockish tones with the "Brown Sound By Cutting Down" thingy (EL34s, turn the EQ all the way down, bring up the mids till you get crunch, bring up the bass till it compresses, crank the MV flat out). Remember, it's got an active EQ, which doesn't sound natural if you're used to amps with passive EQ (e.g. all of them), but you can get used to it. Cleans are beautiful, too.

EDIT: Whitebunny, that's the active EQ. It's noisy and sounds bizarre at first. That's why I turn the EQ down and cut the active EQ out of the signal path.

yeah i only had to use it for a like one show and a few practices, so im not authority on these amps.
but now that you told me how to fix that the TS can try it out the right way.
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
Cheers guys! I can get a really good tone out of my valveking with help of pedals and I really love the clean channel so sounds like the XXX will be good.

Ive heard clips on You tube but they we're mostly crappy quality.

Looking forward to the XXX