I have came down to 2 guitars but I am stuck on which to buy, I have played them both and they both are very good however I am not sure which is the best for me and the style of music I want to play. These guitars are the Epiphone Les Paul and the Fender Strat Standard SSS. This will be my first electric guitar so I am not very experienced at all. I have been told that the strat would be alot more versatile if it had a pick up change is this true? The music I will be playing will be stuff like Oasis, Pink Floyd, Metallica, Red hot chilli peppers, AC/DC, Guns and roses, rise against, bullet for my valentine aswell as heavier stuff etc. From this can anyone tell me which would be better for me? Thanks
Dude we need to know these things
Budget
Budget is around £400. I am from the Uk. And I currently have a roland cube 40xl. I would just like to add I am not looking for any other types of guitar I would just like to know which would be a better choice from the Epi Les Paul and the Fender strat with possible pick up change
Play both, standing with a strap. They are very different feeling and sounding guitars. One may be way more comfortable for you, focus on the comfort rather than which best reflects the bands you like, it will make learning and progressing as a guitar player much easier. Spend a few hours at the store, get a feel of how each is after playing for a long time.

No need to change the p'ups in the strat, they are fine, unless you want a bucker, then get a HSS strat.
Quote by CodChick

Seriously, I'm not a fan of iphones and guitars mixing.
Quote by ecvMatt
Play both, standing with a strap. They are very different feeling and sounding guitars. One may be way more comfortable for you, focus on the comfort rather than which best reflects the bands you like, it will make learning and progressing as a guitar player much easier. Spend a few hours at the store, get a feel of how each is after playing for a long time.

No need to change the p'ups in the strat, they are fine, unless you want a bucker, then get a HSS strat.

Yeah i'd do what he says i think you best bet is going with a HSS strat although for now i have to say avoid anything with a locking tremolo it will be a pain in the arse for you

Have a good look around in the shop you might find something you like more
I reckon you should go with the les paul. That should work better for the music you like cos of the humbuckers and what not. I've played a few les pauls and I can't remember not liking anything about them so yeah go for it. You should be able to get a decent one for 400 quid.
You want me?
Well f**king well come and find me
I'll be waiting with a gun and a pack of sandwiches

Twitter:@iamoisinoneill
UG follows me. You should too.
This is definitely a tough one....I play some of the very same bands you mentioned and they use different guitars. I'd say go with an HSS strat because the classic Oasis sound is the 2nd position on an SSS strat.............Pink Floyd and RHCP use strats alot but the rest of the band use humbuckers.

Thats what its down to: Single coil or humbuckers.

HSS strat, if not then go with the Epi. I'd go with the SSS because I am very biased towards Oasis........but its your choice

HSS! HSS! HSS! or Les Paul
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
one thing to keep in mind with the hss strat is that it will have higher output in the bridge position but will not sound like the LP. to many the thinking is that with the 'bucker you will have the best of both worlds, but it doesn't work that way. Standard strat configurations don't have a tone pot for the bridge to give the purest treble tone, meaning that a humbucker in a strat will not sound like one in pretty much any other guitar. I'm not saying that an HSS isn't a good option, just pointing out that you might not get the warm 'bucker tone of some of your favorite artists with it.
"The beer I had for breakfast was pretty good, so I had another."
-Cash
Cheers guys, I am kinda leaning towards the Les Paul at the moment, I have not yet played a HSS Strat so I do not know but would a HSS strat beable to play the heavier style off music such as Metallica, Bullet for my valentine and get a good tone out of it? I'm a noob at tech stuff :p
HSS strat. The bridge pup should be able to handle the bands you mention. Then you still have your two single coils for whatever you please.

As already mentioned, try them out, because the LP and strat are two totally different guitars.
I'm a NooB at all this as well so this might not be accurate (if I'm wrong can someone please explain why, cheers).
Have you looked at the Michael Kelly Patriot series. They are the same shape as the Les Paul (although I believe somewhat lighter) but have the best of both worlds with Humbucker style pick ups with a coil tap so you can switch to the single coil sound.