I usually set my string action at about 4/64" off of the 12th fret on the bass side and 3/64" on the treb side using 10 gauge strings in standard tuning. This seems to work for me but I can't help but think there might be a better way to set up my guitars. How high do you guys normally set your string action?
My Guitars
Squire Affinity Strat
Ibanez RG 350 DX
Fender Stratocaster MIM
Ibanez AEG20E
Tradition Guitars S2000F Pro
on my electrics i usually have pretty low action(i dont remember the actual height) and use 11s or 12 gauge strings in standard most of the time
i change tunings regularly from standard to drop d to dagdad and some open tunings
to where its the most comfortable for me and it varies on each guitar
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
I have soft women fingers so I have all my guitars set up where the action is as low as it can go with little to no fret buzz, I have never measured but its as low as it can get
I set mine up at slightly-lower-than-medium. It improves sustain just that crucial little bit over having it at shred-levels, while still allowing for fast fretting and bending.
I'd say about 1.8 mil.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Last edited by PsiGuy60 at Jun 4, 2011,
on my ibanez its pretty low but on my dean i had to raise it cuz of fret buzz on the first 4-5 frets on the b and e string
Quote by wozzsta
about 1.5mm off the 12th fret, with 13-56

Thank you for giving me the first actual measurement thus far.
My Guitars
Squire Affinity Strat
Ibanez RG 350 DX
Fender Stratocaster MIM
Ibanez AEG20E
Tradition Guitars S2000F Pro
I have 0 mm off the board.
Guitars:
LTD KH-602
LTD M-15
Schecter Hellraiser FR (for sale w/hsc, pm me.)
BC Rich Bronze WarCock
BC Rich Ironbird1
Tokai Voyager
Jackson JS30 Kelly
Vester: Metal flake gold/black crackle
Vester: rainbow crackle
Carvin V220
1.22mm or 0.048in at the 12th fret, 13-56 flatwound strings

measured with my caliper, not a ruler.

easiest way to set it up is to set the action to the string diameter. and thats easy enough to measure with clipped off string ends.
you can go lower, but it requires a much more meticulous setup to avoid buzz.
Last edited by kolonelkadat at Jun 4, 2011,
Just above buzzing. Except on my acoustic; can't really adjust the action on that thing.
my action is set by a luthier so its so low that i only get very slight fret buzz
Quote by selkies
to where its the most comfortable for me and it varies on each guitar

/\ This, I don't like mine too low, I find bends difficult with low action, my Strat was great the way it was when I bought it and my g1275, but with my SG classic I had to raise it a bit as it was too low for me.
Quote by Mason 95
my action is set by a luthier so its so low that i only get very slight fret buzz

lol. you have a luthier set your strings to buzz lol...wtf...

for me, like above, whatever is commfy for said guitar....generally tho. I don't want to have to stress playing a note. but i don't want to touch it and play it either...I do it all myself and don't measure.
Quote by Mason 95

This post screams "I don't know how to properly set my own action"
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
I use .12s in E Standard(though I go to Eb, D and C every now and then) on my ML, and it's pretty low, no fret buzz though. My bass is in E Standard with "Medium" D'Addario XLs(.45-105s, I think?), and I literally lowered the action by at least 1cm after setting the thing up. o_o
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
Mine is set to 1mm with 12 - 56's
Running through:

Engl Fireball
Engl Slanted Cab
Ibanez Xiphos
Schecter C-1 FR Black
Ibanez GRG (on its way)

Pedals:
Boss Noise Gate, Zakk Wylde Overdrive, Boss Tuner, Zakk Wylde Wah.
Quote by Controlpanel
This post screams "I don't know how to properly set my own action"

i actualy dont know how to :P i guess its something i should learn really, but i set the action on my sg my self and that seem pretty good
As low as possible. I use 8-80 on my 8-string with barely 1mm at the 12th fret on the thinner strings. I need to change my strings and set up the lower end properly, because it's a bit higher than that, just under 4mm at the 12th fret. I should be able to get those thicker strings to around 2mm with no buzz.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
i have it as low as it'll go without any fret buzz when playing slide guitar - because if you're not getting any buzzing against the frets like that, you're sure as hell not gonna get any buzz from fretting the strings normally.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp