Right, here's the situation.
My friend who has just been moved from his band has two gig slots booked later this year and sometime early next year, and he can only accept these offers once he has re-essembled a band. This has been resolved, and a group of us have come together to make this band (we all have a few years experience in our instruments).
I have written a few songs with another project i also play for, but altohugh my bandmates say im a good songwriter, ive never written something that gives me a buzz to play, like many of the covers i do.
The new project plans to be somewhere between punk rock, alternative metal and modern rock, and If i can make up one or two decent riffs for a song, i know the rest of the song will flow. thing is, I really want to make riffs im gonna love to play, just like when i play from other bands material.
Although Symphonic Metal is my favorite genre to listen to, alternative rock is my faovrite to play, just becasue of the amazing energy i get. Examples of songs i LOVE to play include:
Re-education through LAbour- Rise Against
Beautiful Bride- Flyleaf
Crazy & Me- My Passion

If someone could give me any advice on establishing this field of satisfaction, it'd be appreciated, specially since one of these gig slots is apparently with a modern popular-to-kerrang act here in england (my passion). Thanks a tonne
Chord Triads, Arpeggios, that sort of thing....

Umm, Scales would also help in coming up with a chord progression. You could try to figure out those songs chords, and stuff....

So tired.....................................................................................
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
Do what I do: Create a monster riff that you are absolutely in love with based on the sound of the band you wanna go for (Soundwise), and then just base the whole songs structure on that progression. Just have base all the riffs on that one so the song will flow and create your own structure and arrangement for the song. Then, tada! You have a song entirely filled with a creative and organized atmosphere!

Hope this helps
Quote by Majin Gaara
Do what I do: Create a monster riff that you are absolutely in love with based on the sound of the band you wanna go for (Soundwise), and then just base the whole songs structure on that progression. Just have base all the riffs on that one so the song will flow and create your own structure and arrangement for the song. Then, tada! You have a song entirely filled with a creative and organized atmosphere!

Hope this helps

This is another great idea. Probably better than mine.
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
What above said, also don't over think it

sorry that's all I can give you, but I feel unqualified to recommend anything further just fool around a lot and have fun.
Danelectro 1959 reissue

Quote by G.Krizzel
Music is just wiggly air. Accept it or leave it.

Also please visit this thread and help me tab out an album!!!
thread.