Sorry for it being so long, but with the help of previous posts and threads here on UG, Ive been able to be more specific in what I'm looking for.

Intro - I currently play through a Line 6 Spider IV 75 Watt amp. It was great to start with because of the wide range of effects it had built in, but what I am trying to do now is upgrade from the less than satisfying sounds of the digital effects and small rig to something more serious while keeping some of the conveniences and versatility. In this transition I’m really looking into real analog effects as opposed to the digital ones I get from my current amp, so I’m not really looking for an amp with built in digital effects. The problem though is I can’t decide between high-end multi effect pedal boards to individual pedals. I like the idea of getting ‘real’ analog effects with individual pedals, but not the idea of the complexity that seems to come with them, nor having to pay $100 for each damn effect, so any input on that would also be much appreciated. I have no experience with effects other than the presets on my Line 6 and knowledge obtained via the Internet. I have been looking around, but nothing definite has caught my eye yet. I’m kind of leaning toward a half stack containing a tube amp head and 4x12 cabinet, but I’m fine with combos.

Current Gear? –The current guitars that I play most often are a Gibson Les Paul Studio 60s Tribute, an Epiphone Les Paul 100, an Acoustic Electric Ovation Applause AE125, and an Acoustic Electric Ibanez Mandolin. I’d like to be able to play my acoustic electrics cleanly through the amp just to make them more audible, but it’s not that huge of a concern (although I have to admit, messing with the mandolin on high distortion can be a blast :P). I understand that that situation greatly depends in the pickups in my acoustic electrics, but if there is any sort of specification that deals with it on an amp, I’d like to know about it. Once again, not my biggest concern though.

Budget? – My goal is to spend under $500; my limit is around $800. The cheaper the amp, the more money I will have left over for effects.

Genres? – I mostly play classic rock and old metal, but I love to play around with blues and country every now and then. My favorite guitarists include Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, Angus Young, Neil Young, Kirk Hammet, Alex Lifeson, Tony Iommi, John Frusciante, Jimi Hendrix, Pete Townsend, Eddie Van Halen, Slash and David Gilmour.

New or Used? – I’d prefer the amp to be new, its always safer and I can return it should anything go wrong. But if the price is right and the amp is in reasonable condition, I have no problem buying a used one, especially to save money or possibly get a more high-end amplifier for the price of a lesser model. My best preference would have to be a used amp from a respectable guitar store where I know it has been professionally checked and can return it.

Home or Gig? – I’d mostly use it at home, but once in a while I may need to gig with it, so I’d like for it to be able to handle a gigging environment, but its not a huge concern. The volume of the amp is the least of my concerns.

Closest City? – I live about 30 minutes from Los Angeles in CA; I have a wide range of access to many major guitar stores such as Guitar Center, Sam Ash, and other smaller guitar institutions.

Much appreciated ,
Pickle
multifx versus single pedals is pretty much a judgement call, depending on your ear, your wallet, how many effects you actually use and how often you use them, and also the quality of the rest of your gear.

single effects generally sound better, but as you say, they're more expensive. up to you, really. I prefer single pedals- but I don't use all that many effects, and if i thought they were killing my tone I wouldn't use them at all, so cheaping out on a multi is a false economy- for me. It may not be for you.

i have no clue about acoustics, someone else will have to help you with that.

off the top of my head, a traynor ycv40 or 50 would probably work pretty well for those tones. should be under budget new.

i guess you could take a look s/h but buying s/h from a store means you don't get the best prices usually- it's on a case-by-case basis, but you need to be careful you aren't paying the almost-new price for something which is used, lol. also, unless you're very lucky, I doubt the really kickass stuff would be under your budget s/h (though it pays to keep an eye out as you never know).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
multifx versus single pedals is pretty much a judgement call, depending on your ear, your wallet, how many effects you actually use and how often you use them, and also the quality of the rest of your gear.

single effects generally sound better, but as you say, they're more expensive. up to you, really. I prefer single pedals- but I don't use all that many effects, and if i thought they were killing my tone I wouldn't use them at all, so cheaping out on a multi is a false economy- for me. It may not be for you.

i have no clue about acoustics, someone else will have to help you with that.

off the top of my head, a traynor ycv40 or 50 would probably work pretty well for those tones. should be under budget new.

i guess you could take a look s/h but buying s/h from a store means you don't get the best prices usually- it's on a case-by-case basis, but you need to be careful you aren't paying the almost-new price for something which is used, lol. also, unless you're very lucky, I doubt the really kickass stuff would be under your budget s/h (though it pays to keep an eye out as you never know).

Thank you for the reply Your advice on effects definitely has swayed me more towards individual pedals, especially if it will help me achieve a better/more real sound. My price range was pretty random, I'm not so sure how much amps usually go for. Around what price range would you suggest I be looking into for a more a serious amp? Does my current price range only entail low-end amps/beginner's models?
i prefer single effect pedals they do usually sound better and i dont use that many effects and its easier to mod them if your into that sort of thing

if your gigging a 30-50 watt amp would be more than usable

look at peavey and bugera(i know they had issues in the past but heyve been fixed and come with a year warranty) they are at the 300- 800(?) range

maybe you can find a used ac30 at about 1000 (they are great amps)

and fyi your budget is about mid range amps
Peavey Valveking will work well for you ($400 for 1x12 combo). as for FX well think hard about what you really need as opposed to what seems neat to have. not all digital fx are evil or bad so don't automatically discount them. my own live setup only has a wah, overdrive, phaser and delay. i rarely use them all at once. the only other thing i use is a fuzzface (along with the wah) for a hendrix setup. concentrate on getting the best basic sound you can and then worry about fx. without a good foundation fx mean nothing. i know it's tempting to cheap out on the amp but that iis where your basic sound is found. so try out as many amps as you can. although i could afford more the valveking was the best for my sound (without spending 3 times more for better). may work for you or you may like another one better (it's your sound after all).
Quote by monwobobbo
Peavey Valveking will work well for you ($400 for 1x12 combo). as for FX well think hard about what you really need as opposed to what seems neat to have. not all digital fx are evil or bad so don't automatically discount them. my own live setup only has a wah, overdrive, phaser and delay. i rarely use them all at once. the only other thing i use is a fuzzface (along with the wah) for a hendrix setup. concentrate on getting the best basic sound you can and then worry about fx. without a good foundation fx mean nothing. i know it's tempting to cheap out on the amp but that iis where your basic sound is found. so try out as many amps as you can. although i could afford more the valveking was the best for my sound (without spending 3 times more for better). may work for you or you may like another one better (it's your sound after all).

Can't mention anything about the amps because I have no knowledge and a hatred of tubes (just because of the maintenance).

About the pedals, you could get an amp with built in effects but if you don't a mid range multieffect pedal would do well. Personally, I prefer individual pedals but only one one because I can't put up with plugging them in, organizing them, stepping on each one individually etc.

Look into a good multi FX pedal for around $200? and buy individual pedals for the effects you use the most often which (in your case) might be: chorus, overdrive, reverb....and....thats about it?
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by Picklelerner
Thank you for the reply Your advice on effects definitely has swayed me more towards individual pedals, especially if it will help me achieve a better/more real sound. My price range was pretty random, I'm not so sure how much amps usually go for. Around what price range would you suggest I be looking into for a more a serious amp? Does my current price range only entail low-end amps/beginner's models?

yeah, as supersac said, your budget probably has you at the "pretty good" end of the amp market... things like the traynor ycvs, peavey classics, kustom coupé, that type of stuff. it's not the really kickass high-end stuff, but it's pretty good, and easily good enough to be getting on with.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?