Hey guys. So here's the thing, over the past few months i've started writing some lyrics and I can't think of melodies for them. I am new to songwriting and the lyrics i've been writing are my first. I'm not expecting them to ever be hits or anything. I see them as writing exercises, practice songs if you will. I've tried the whole sitting around playing guitar trying to find something original but it's not happening. Any and all advice will be gratefully accepted. I'm taking piano and vocal lessons starting from September so that should help but untill then I guess i'm just gonna ask some strangers for help.
You want me?
Well f**king well come and find me
I'll be waiting with a gun and a pack of sandwiches

Twitter:@iamoisinoneill
UG follows me. You should too.
well usually what i do to help myself come up with a new riff or a song, i start by playing another song (or riff) or just something that feels right.

Either because the orginal song shares the same feeling or inspiration as the one im trying to write or just because it feels comfortable to play.

play it over and over until u essentially get bored of playing it and start messing with it, eventually ull have changed the sound and structure of it to where its completely differnt now.

just make it your own however u need/want it to.
sex
Drugs
and rock and roll
Thanks man. That sounds like it should help to get me started. Although it might make my songs sound a bit like rip-offs to start off with but who cares? I'm 15 so I've got my whole musical life ahead of me.

I'll give your advice a go later and if I come up with anything I'll let you know.
You want me?
Well f**king well come and find me
I'll be waiting with a gun and a pack of sandwiches

Twitter:@iamoisinoneill
UG follows me. You should too.
Quote by NE0_ARSONIST
play it over and over until u essentially get bored of playing it and start messing with it, eventually ull have changed the sound and structure of it to where its completely differnt now.

this works. or, without a set "starting point," just start playing random shit. in time a little lick or line will pop up that you really like and then you can stop and start working around that. may not work for your originally intended song, but keep it because maybe in the future youll start writing lyrics that you think would fit with that really well. or it may work for lyrics already written, just not the ones you were focusing on.