Page 1 of 2
Alright so around last week or so I went into my local music store to buy a new pack of strings. I got heavy ones since I play low. And the guy at the till kept on saying to me that I shouldn't get them because they are too heavy even though they were the right ones. And I think because of my age (I'm 13) he asked me all those questions thinking I'm some sort of retard. But if I was an adult he wouldn't have said anything.

So Pit, how does your guitar store piss you off?
The same way it pisses you off. Most of the employees are condescending assholes.
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
I go in there AT LEAST two or three times a month and they STILL havent given me any free guitars...

OT: Ive never really been to displeased with guitar stores... You treat them with respect and theyll treat you the same.
He was just looking out for you. You're young, so you could easily be mistaken for a beginner.

But, OT: The salesman staring at me while I'm testing gear out. Doesn't 'piss me off' to speak, but greatly puts me off.
Isn't it a pity?
Now, isn't it a shame?
How we break each other's hearts,
And cause each other pain...

"Music is everybody's possession. It's only publishers who think that people own it." - John Lennon
My local music shop:
-Doesn't stock musicians' earplugs.
-Has a range of about 5 acoustic guitars.
-Has a no refund policy.
-Sold me a splitter which fell apart while plugged into an amp so the whole amp had to be taken apart to get it out so it could be used again. But guess what? No refund.
-Has the most condescending staff.
-Is massively overpriced on everything.
Selling stuff that I want and can't, and likely never will, be able to afford.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
This one is in a local Guitar Center. Me and my friend go into the acoustic room all the time to dick around and jam since that's usually where there's the least amount of people. The employees constantly walk past the room and stare at us through the glass like they're expecting us to break or steal something. Annoying.

I constantly get asked to turn down the volume on the amps I'm testing (even though they're nowhere near loud) in Sam Ash. To make it worse, it seems like there's always some terrible metalcore douche playing at least twice as loud and they never do anything to those assholes.

As for my local small music shop--

I know the owner. Cool old dude. He stocks high-end stuff you can't get in GC and SA. Vintage stuff, too. The only thing he does that pisses me off is give me GAS and wont let me turn the Fryette's volume up past 2.
Last edited by Seref at Jun 4, 2011,
Overpriced gear :-/ makes me feel bad cause it always sends me to GC cause it's like 2-300 more for any large piece of equipment!

Also whenever I bring a guitar in which I bought from an old teacher or used one they always ask 'did you buy it here' and when I say no I get blown off or terrible answers.

But it depends on who I talk to, generally I'm pretty happy with service I get there
Danelectro 1959 reissue

Quote by G.Krizzel
Music is just wiggly air. Accept it or leave it.

Also please visit this thread and help me tab out an album!!!
thread.
Quote by Seref
This one is in a local Guitar Center. Me and my friend go into the acoustic room all the time to dick around and jam since that's usually where there's the least amount of people. The employees constantly walk past the room and stare at us through the glass like they're expecting us to break or steal something. Annoying.

And what is the problem?

I'd tell you to get the fuck out of my shop.
OMG SlinkyBlue thats the worst ever...cause i'll pick up a guitar and they'll be like "oh that wood will crack in a year...you need this one that costs as much as five cars" -,-

Plus when im trying out a guitar they give me the stank eye.
Quote by BumbleBoned
And what is the problem?

I'd tell you to get the fuck out of my shop.

It's a guitar store. We're trying out guitars. We're in the same band and playing together to see what we like. We're adults with money, not children.

Frankly, if it was your guitar store I'd tell everyone to avoid it. I bet you'd be the kind of person who gets pissed when a customer tries a guitar for more than 3 minutes and asks him if he's gonna buy it or not.
when they give you shite advice- I asked for a low wattage tube head, he recommended a marshall MG100DFX

Some local shops charge a bit extra but for the service they give I can't complain
Oh at GC when they tried to talk me into buying a $4000 used cab after I purchased a 300 head and wanted to get a 200 dollar cab..wouldn't have been so bad, but the guy was being really persistent and a bit of an ass. plus I was going for 212 and he agreed that it was better for me and then tried to put me into a 412 just to push it out of the store.

Quote by MM14
when they give you shite advice- I asked for a low wattage tube head, he recommended a marshall MG100DFX

Some local shops charge a bit extra but for the service they give I can't complain

mmm, yeah I'd shop there for everything if I had the money :-/
Danelectro 1959 reissue

Quote by G.Krizzel
Music is just wiggly air. Accept it or leave it.

Also please visit this thread and help me tab out an album!!!
thread.
Last edited by 801Current at Jun 4, 2011,
i'm good to my guitar store, they are good to me. they sell the stuff to me for their purchase price, which is about less than half. so no complains.
"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and i'm all out of bubblegum"
An unbelievable amount of overcharging, and pushing products that they know to be inferior.
Horseness is the whatness of allhorse.
We are all Neil Lennon
UG GT5 group
my guitar center is pretty cool they don't really annoy me or anything besides the fact that theirs no one behind the counter half the time and you have to wait for service but thats it
Music is not the Olympics. It's not a sport; it's a form of expression. There is no such thing as bad music. There may be music that you personally don't like, but if you don't like it, don't listen to it.." Eddie Van Halen
Quote by Seref
It's a guitar store. We're trying out guitars. We're in the same band and playing together to see what we like. We're adults with money, not children.

Frankly, if it was your guitar store I'd tell everyone to avoid it. I bet you'd be the kind of person who gets pissed when a customer tries a guitar for more than 3 minutes and asks him if he's gonna buy it or not.

No, I'm the kind of person who has all the time in the world for someone who is even remotely interested in buying or trying some of my stock...

...just not for people who want to 'dick around' in my acoustic room with products I actually have to sell to make a living.
Quote by Seref

I know the owner. Cool old dude. He stocks high-end stuff you can't get in GC and SA. Vintage stuff, too. The only thing he does that pisses me off is give me GAS and wont let me turn the Fryette's volume up past 2.

I'm in the same boat, pretty much. But the owner at my local shop has a personal vendetta against GC, so if he has anything that GC is also selling he'll sell it for $50 less than whatever they're charging for it, hahaha.
Check out my punk band!!! Lizard on the Window We found a drummer and are now recording.

White Version FC: 4083 9268 4644
White 2 FC: 5372 8215 3622
3DS FC: 1676 4085 1677
Quote by Seref

I constantly get asked to turn down the volume on the amps I'm testing (even though they're nowhere near loud) in Sam Ash. To make it worse, it seems like there's always some terrible metalcore douche playing at least twice as loud and they never do anything to those assholes.

Is this the SamAsh in dolphin mall and Guitar center Kendall if so odd because in guitar center they leave me be to try out stuff and in sam ash they let me crank a hot rod deluxe btw what is the name of your local shop I need to find one of them to shop regularly in
Two of the music stores around me have fired all of their employees with a musical background and have hired people with sales experience just so they can get people to buy the most expensive items. It pisses me off. When I walk in I don't want to talk to a guy who just started playing a guitar and can't even tell me the difference between a single-coil and humbucker. It's rather annoying. I don't go to music shops anymore, I just buy online.
"Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it." ~Henry David Thoreau
Quote by Seref

If you're obviously not going to buy anything, you shouldn't acted surprised when they tell you to leave.

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
Quote by BumbleBoned
...just not for people who want to 'dick around' in my acoustic room with products I actually have to sell to make a living.

Okay, I must have worded too ambiguously. I mean we go in and try out instruments we may buy if we find them suitable. How long it takes to determine if they're suitable is determined by me, not some 17 year old punk giving me the eye for being in the acoustic room for 10 minutes.

I don't go into a store unless I intend on buying anything. What am I, an asshole? Have people even done that in guitar stores since the 80s?
Oh where to begin with the lovely Daddy's Junky...

-Staff are morons. Know nothing about anything.
-Don't know the difference between a bass and electric
-Not allowed to touch the acoustics
-They never have the amps plugged in, you have to ask and usually they get pissed off at you if you're not buying it right away.
-They love to kick you out for testing out stuff for too long.
-I get kicked out everytime I go there..
-If you ask an employee a question or ask him to set you up with a cord and amp you want, they usually won't without a lot of convincing. Even then, they'll hover around you and bother you about buying it or not.
-They don't care about their instruments. People steal pieces, mess up the tuning, etc.. And they just don't care.
-They don't set any guitar up whatsoever. Most aren't playable, or the strings are so old/rusty they can't be tuned properly.
-Most floyd guitars there don't function properly due to never being set-up

/RANT OVER.

God I hate that place so much, but it's the only one around

Hence, I order everything online.
Little selection, un-helpful, condescending staff.

I tend to do everything on line now. There's only one shop here, and I refuse to go to it, unless I absolutely have to.
nothing
the folk at my local guitar center re cool
jam wiht the guy there once

and once they let me stay a bit late after closing to test out tube amps at a good volume

edit
i just rememebered something its not really gc fault but they have a very low selection of left handed guitars and the ones they do have are either beginners or over 1000
Last edited by supersac at Jun 4, 2011,
asking if i ned help as i pick up a guitar. plug it in and then they stand there....waiting....waiting...watching.....watching lol....and I am an adult. and i now how to play and have worked/owed every type of amp under the sun.

but can't type..lool
Last edited by treysonpwaters at Jun 4, 2011,
i have 3 local guitar centres, 1 is huge but the staff are either condescending or don't even play guitar, 2nd is small with a small amount of guitars cause it's a music shop and stocks piano's, drums, amps, basses, guitars, books and accessories as well as having staff that i swear have insecurity issues because they seem to avoid conversation and the 3rd is a resemble size with good stock and friendly people ... but expensive and the sin all 3 commit is the fact that all of them are yet to give me anything free, what i gotta get famous before i get free shit pffftt (over all i get what i need from the 3 though XD)
Quote by BumbleBoned
No, I'm the kind of person who has all the time in the world for someone who is even remotely interested in buying or trying some of my stock...

and because you told them to **** off, now you loose a sale, and everyone around them goes what the **** and leaves to. they could have been dicking around with tons of cash in the pocket.

anyway i like my local guitar store. one thing i hate is them staring at me as i play. i want my space you know?
Internet trolls are like sap in trees. sticky and annoying, but good on pancakes.
My local shop in Wisconsin is pretty laid back. The guys in the guitars department never try to sell me on anything I didn't ask about, and know most everything about all their stock.

It's really refreshing to walk in the guitar room looking at all the guitars/amps/pedals and a guy will walk up, hand me a cable, and say "Help yourself to what you're looking for, I'll be up at the counter if you need anything."

It's also a love-hate relationship in having a well stocked guitar room and not a lot of will power. I went to Music Center (the shop I go to) for some picks and walked out with a $900.00 Explorer..
Amps
Mesa Dual Recto 3 Ch
Peavey 6505 Combo

Cab
ENGL E212VH Cab

Guitars
Epi Explorer
Schecter Damien 6
Squier Strat (signed by Rob Zombie!)

Pedals
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensenble
Boss GE-7 Equalizer
Well, I guess this is the only thread where I get the chance to say this:

I LOVE my local music store:
- bought all my stuff there (for a very good price)
- they know my name
- I get a pick or two for free everytime I buy new strings
- I got 2 cables, 2 input-adapters and a strap FOR FREE when I bought my strat

...it's so ****in' awesome there!
If they stop and stare at me while I test out a guitar I just give it some whellie(sp?) and show off, it's never bothered me.
Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.

- Berthold Auerbach

Quote by jbridge90
Wow, being surrounded by all of these humourless, pussy-whipped virgins is starting to make me sick.

Check out my band!
Quote by MM14
Is this the SamAsh in dolphin mall and Guitar center Kendall if so odd because in guitar center they leave me be to try out stuff and in sam ash they let me crank a hot rod deluxe btw what is the name of your local shop I need to find one of them to shop regularly in

No, it's a Sam Ash and GC in Tampa. I consider those "local" since I'm at USF most of the year.

The small store is also in Tampa, a place called Legends Guitars.

Quote by blizzboy
I'm in the same boat, pretty much. But the owner at my local shop has a personal vendetta against GC, so if he has anything that GC is also selling he'll sell it for $50 less than whatever they're charging for it, hahaha.

What my guy does is he doesn't regularly stock everything GC does, but if you go to him with something you want and the price GC/SA charge for it, he'll order one in expedited and sell it to you at reduced price.
Incorporating

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Seref
No, it's a Sam Ash and GC in Tampa. I consider those "local" since I'm at USF most of the year.

The small store is also in Tampa, a place called Legends Guitars.

The SA in Dolphin really sucks. You can't try anything out if you are under the age of 18 unless you have a guardian with you. Also, the staff are pretty unhelpful and they're always eating shit. Terrible place, they have a decent amount of basses though
pinga
I buy online, almost exclusively now. The owner of these local stores seem to know nothing about running a business, and the workers know nothing about the gear they make a poor attempt at selling.

Its almost humorous, really.
Quote by TheAbsentOne
Oh where to begin with the lovely Daddy's Junky...

-Staff are morons. Know nothing about anything.
-Don't know the difference between a bass and electric
-Not allowed to touch the acoustics
-They never have the amps plugged in, you have to ask and usually they get pissed off at you if you're not buying it right away.
-They love to kick you out for testing out stuff for too long.
-I get kicked out everytime I go there..
-If you ask an employee a question or ask him to set you up with a cord and amp you want, they usually won't without a lot of convincing. Even then, they'll hover around you and bother you about buying it or not.
-They don't care about their instruments. People steal pieces, mess up the tuning, etc.. And they just don't care.
-They don't set any guitar up whatsoever. Most aren't playable, or the strings are so old/rusty they can't be tuned properly.
-Most floyd guitars there don't function properly due to never being set-up

/RANT OVER.

God I hate that place so much, but it's the only one around

Hence, I order everything online.

Wow the once by me is quite the opposite. I suppose thats what you get with Franchises and different owners.

Downside to mine, is they don't stock high end guitars, as they get insane amounts of people under 15. but they will ship anything you ask to try for $20 and its in in 2 days, if you don't want it they give you you're money back. ( If you're going to buy a guitar $1000+ you have to have an idea what you want. and 20 is minimal to guarantee you're the first or one of few to play it.)

And there is always a condescending 12 year old playing sloppier than Jimmy Page on a Bullet strat through a line 6, thats to be expected though.

However,
They are now a Blackstar Dealer
You belong in a museum.

Do you Enjoy Forza, and wish to be in an in game Club?! Look no further! Please, join.. there is no one else!
I hate that they put all the really nice guitars and gear right in front of the entrance, so when I walk in, I have to walk past the nice ones mounted on the walls to go to ones more in my price range.. >:-|
My only complaint is that there's no high-end guitars. Most of the stuff there's mid to low range LTDs. Otherwise the shop is great and if I forget my guitar or break strings they let me use one of the guitars there for lessons.
Page 1 of 2