I've always been curious, and this is partly inspired by the thread with the "L'il Wayne Guitar Solo." What sets the standards of the solo? Is it merely strong feelings conveyed through an instrument or is there some secret society that writes the commandments in some ancient tab Tome?
A guitar solo would be an unaccompanied peice of guitar.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by Simsimius
A guitar solo would be an unaccompanied peice of guitar.

What's a peice?
Super
Old
Cats
Are
Surprising

Many profile views... few friends...
It would probably vary from person to person. I constitute a guitar solo as being when guitar player plays an extended lead part that's not the main melody of the song.
Last edited by NothingRocks at Jun 4, 2011,
Quote by NothingRocks
It would probably vary from person to person. I constitute a guitar solo as being when guitar player plays an extended lead part that's not the main melody of the song.

Yet other people might call that a bridge. It depends
It really doesn't matter what name you assign to something. It's usually pretty obvious if something is a solo. Who really cares if it's a solo or "not", you know? I dunno.
I would consider a solo a melodic interlude that is distinct from the rest of the piece. I think it's just something that you know by intuition, although in jazz they solo with chords, which a lot of people wouldn't intuitively realize is a solo
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by StratoCatser
What's a peice?

I have a dictionary add-on exactly for this reason, to tell me if I mess shit up.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
arent solos usually accompanied?
"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and i'm all out of bubblegum"
Quote by due 07
It really doesn't matter what name you assign to something. It's usually pretty obvious if something is a solo. Who really cares if it's a solo or "not", you know? I dunno.

You put sarcastic quotation marks around the wrong word
My God, it's full of stars!
Typically I'd consider it a section within a piece of music in which a lead guitar player plays a non-repetitious melody (meaning the same melody shouldn't be played more than once in a song, otherwise it's more of a hook or bridge than a solo) over a rhythmic backing.
When the guitar is the "main" part of the song, as opposed to accompaniment of the vocals or some other instrument.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.