What scale would work best to improv for this song? I'm no expert so your guys' help would be greatly appreciated.
Quote by vsdornelas
G major. Also known as E minor.

Only by people who don't know what they're doing. G major is G major, nothing else.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
bit of advice. Don't just assign a scale and call it a day... Use your ears.

Hint = VII chord. if the song is play in G, that would be F7 (dominant).

There's some pretty sour notes in your future, if you don't adjust to the chord changes as you improv.
Quote by cringer
bit of advice. Don't just assign a scale and call it a day... Use your ears.

Hint = VII chord. if the song is play in G, that would be F7 (dominant).

There's some pretty sour notes in your future, if you don't adjust to the chord changes as you improv.

I'm not 100% sure what you're getting at here, if the song was in strict major key the V chord would be dominant (D7 in this case)...

I think that's what you were trying to say but it's worth being very explicit about this: the vii7 is out of key and you'll have to adjust your soloing to match that or it'll end up sounding horrible.

The easiest thing to do there would be to switch to a G minor scale for that chord since it's from the G minor scale, obviously the minor pentatonic would also work.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I'm not 100% sure what you're getting at here, if the song was in strict major key the V chord would be dominant (D7 in this case)...

I think that's what you were trying to say but it's worth being very explicit about this: the vii7 is out of key and you'll have to adjust your soloing to match that or it'll end up sounding horrible.

The easiest thing to do there would be to switch to a G minor scale for that chord since it's from the G minor scale, obviously the minor pentatonic would also work.

Yes, I should have been more explicit. The progression for that song (verse) is...
| G - Bm | Em | C | F7 |

and yes a regular F7 chord. Dominant... Major triad with a flat 7... or F, A, C, Eb

TS - F7 chord does not fall in the G major scale... specifically E and F# will clash badly with the F7 chord.
So what I really meant was try to get away from single scale-to-song matching. It's not usually that simple. (as in this song for ex.)

Instead learn to play phrases over chords that sound good and flow with the song. Be aware of the chords at all times.

That still applies even in cases where all the chords do fall on into scale... Phrasing is everything.