Page 1 of 2
I'm wanting to upgrade my amp... I have a Line 6 Spider III 75watt right now, and I really want to get a Marshall MG412A because that's within my price range. I also want to get a Marshall MG100HDFX.

Has anyone ever used this combination, if so, what were your problems and/or achievements, what did you like, etc.

As well, if anyone could offer me a Cab+Head Combo for under $400 (About my total price range) please let me know all about it. I have seen a nice Crate head and Cab at a local pawn shop, but I didn't have the money then.
Last edited by Beastly409 at Jun 4, 2011,
MG's are useful for giant paperweights.

Seriously, they're Marshall's excuse for releasing a affordable amp. They're crap.

Does it have to be a head and cab? I know they look cool and all, but they're usually not practical, especially for bedroom practice. Are you gigging with it?

I'm not sure of prices, but I think the 6505 112 goes around that much used. (correct me if i'm wrong fellow GG&A)

What Genre do you play?
MG's aren't as bad as everyone makes them out to be... through a good cab and good dialing, they make pretty decent ss tones. but alas, there are much better used amps in your price range.
Quote by Syriel
MG's are useful for giant paperweights.

Seriously, they're Marshall's excuse for releasing a affordable amp. They're crap.

Does it have to be a head and cab? I know they look cool and all, but they're usually not practical, especially for bedroom practice. Are you gigging with it?

I'm not sure of prices, but I think the 6505 112 goes around that much used. (correct me if i'm wrong fellow GG&A)

What Genre do you play?

The MG half stacks don't even look cool. They're tiny compared to regular 4x12s. My 2x12's are bigger than the MG cab.
Wow. I feel like running and hiding. I didn't know MG was a terrible name (My first amp was a Marshall MG10CD and it worked pretty decently)

Anyway, I play metal, like BFMV, A7X, and Metallica.
Could anyone point me in the right direction for a good Head+Cab (yes, it has to be both, because I am going to be gigging with it) for Metal?
^ didn't see your post. you can gig with a combo. Don't get a halfstack on a limited budget just to look cool. Will your gigs be mic'd up?

some better choices:

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/msg/2419924473.html Vox VT100 212 combo
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/msg/2417964148.html Peavey Ultra combo <----
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/msg/2417054607.html Laney GH100 (needs cab)
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/msg/2411499405.html Peavey Transtube
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/msg/2410323088.html 5150 (needs cab probably)
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/msg/2390843869.html Peavey Vypyr 30
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/msg/2385464689.html Valveking halfstack
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/msg/2385290601.html Peavey Vypyr 120

I got a Vypyr 60 tube amp combo at Guitar Center used for $315. Trust me, it is more brootalz than the MG
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jun 4, 2011,
Quote by Beastly409
Wow. I feel like running and hiding. I didn't know MG was a terrible name (My first amp was a Marshall MG10CD and it worked pretty decently)

Could anyone point me in the right direction for a good Head+Cab (yes, it has to be both, because I am going to be gigging with it) for Metal?

You don't have to gig with halfstack. XD You can gig with a combo just fine. Just mic it up for bigger venues.

Also you won't find any half decent halfstack with just $400, where as you can get pretty decent ones if you can go with a combo.

Like i said, the 6505 112 is in your price range used i think.

Edit: i got ninjaed by one of them craigslist freaks. XD
Last edited by Syriel at Jun 4, 2011,
Quote by Beastly409

Don't let 'em scare ya, it's not nearly as evil as some of the diehard tone snobs here would have you believe, it's just that there are better choices for your money. (I have an MG50DFX that was given me, and I use it occasionally without complaint...)
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^ didn't see your post. you can gig with a combo. Don't get a halfstack on a limited budget just to look cool. Will your gigs be mic'd up?

some better choices:

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/msg/2419924473.html Vox VT100 212 combo
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/msg/2417964148.html Peavey Ultra combo <----
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/msg/2417054607.html Laney GH100 (needs cab)
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/msg/2411499405.html Peavey Transtube
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/msg/2410323088.html 5150 (needs cab probably)
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/msg/2390843869.html Peavey Vypyr 30
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/msg/2385464689.html Valveking halfstack
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/msg/2385290601.html Peavey Vypyr 120

I got a Vypyr 60 tube amp combo at Guitar Center used for $315. Trust me, it is more brootalz than the MG

Thanks for the list. I totally forgot about CG lol. Also, the closest guitar center is like 3 hours away. And yeah, the gigs will be mic'd. They sound so much better mic'd up than just out the amp.
Quote by Beastly409
Thanks for the list. I totally forgot about CG lol. Also, the closest guitar center is like 3 hours away. And yeah, the gigs will be mic'd. They sound so much better mic'd up than just out the amp.

Since they'd be mic'd, then obviously a combo is all you need. XD
Quote by Arby911
there are better choices for your money.

That's the point. Its OVER-PRICED.

It sounds no better than a $20 amp made in Afghanistan.

Tone of the MG does not justify the absurd prices charged. Plus it doesn't give you the Marshall sound. It sounds nothing like any of their amps.

However, its the TS' money. I'd have thought that you get better utility spending the $400 with a hooker than on an MG. I get better utility using $400 one-dollar bills lighting my stove than buying an MG.

YMMV
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
That's the point. Its OVER-PRICED.

It sounds no better than a $20 amp made in Afghanistan.

Tone of the MG does not justify the absurd prices charged. Plus it doesn't give you the Marshall sound. It sounds nothing like any of their amps.

However, its the TS' money. I'd have thought that you get better utility spending the $400 with a hooker than on an MG. I get better utility using $400 one-dollar bills lighting my stove than buying an MG.

YMMV

First, how many $20 Afghanistan amps have you tested?.....

But more seriously, I lean more toward persuasive dialog than flamethrowing. Your preferred discussion techniques may vary.
Quote by ragingkitty

YMMV

I'd get better utility spending $400 on a hooker than on any amp at all that I could buy for that price.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^I can think of a few amps I'd rather have over a hooker

Saved for later sigging

For $400?
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^I can think of a few amps I'd rather have over a hooker

That's easy for an American to say.

Down here, $400 will get you a decent hooker but will get you an MG30 in the amp variety. I'll take the root.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
I use to own an MG halfstack and honestly it didn't sound terrible...but it never really sounded awesome either if that makes since. It Just sounded kinda "meh" really (nothing worth writing home about) but it was not as horrid sounding as everybody makes them out to be.

With that said, if i were you, i'd look around for something better for the money (and there IS alot better stuff!) Even if its smaller. Having better tone will be much better than trying to look bada** on stage with a Marshall stack.

EDIT: Actually if you could save up a few more bones, you could probably afford a used Marshall halfstack. In my area, i've seen used JCM800s, 900s, and 2000 halfstacks sell for as low $600.
Orange Rockerverb 100MKII
Orange PPC412C
Fender Telecaster: Hotrails, Air Norton, Area '58
Bass big muff
Russian big muff
Boss OC-3
Boss DD-3
Last edited by DefRebelOrange at Jun 5, 2011,
Quote by Arby911
First, how many $20 Afghanistan amps have you tested?.....

But more seriously, I lean more toward persuasive dialog than flamethrowing. Your preferred discussion techniques may vary.

Well to be fair, I've not tested ANY $20 Afghanistan amps... though I would imagine it might pick up the's US military's signals.

I don't think the MG is the worst amp (I reserve that honour for the Crate Flexwave 15 - that's absolute shites.

What do think is that the MG is so terribly over-priced, its a felony. I'd imagine that a kid in elementary school with $20 worth of parts can build a better sounding SS amp than the MG.

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Saved for later sigging

Oh, is this my first sig?
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty

Well to be fair, I've not tested ANY $20 Afghanistan amps... though I would imagine it might pick up the's US military's signals.

I don't think the MG is the worst amp (I reserve that honour for the Crate Flexwave 15 - that's absolute shites.

What do think is that the MG is so terribly over-priced, its a felony. I'd imagine that a kid in elementary school with $20 worth of parts can build a better sounding SS amp than the MG.

Oh, is this my first sig?

Ok, I've got to ask. What's SS? I'm not too good with UG Acronyms, abbreviations, and the sort. (Just realized it may mean Solid State, but still not too sure on that either)
Quote by Beastly409
Ok, I've got to ask. What's SS? I'm not too good with UG Acronyms, abbreviations, and the sort. (Just realized it may mean Solid State, but still not too sure on that either)

Yeah its solidstate.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
SS does mean Solid State, as apposed to valves, which most pople on here will tell you sound best (and they do IMO). However Dimbag Darrell has one of the best tones I have ever heardand he used SS for the majority of his career, but his gear cost thousands. I use a Bugera 22 combo (valve) that I got for £220 used (around $400?) and it served me well, and gigs amazingly.
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
Quote by Beastly409

Depends on who you ask...

Generally "Solid State", but depending on the mood here it might mean "Sub Standard", "Sorry Sound" or "Silicon Sh!t"...
Quote by ProphetToJables
SS does mean Solid State, as apposed to valves, which most pople on here will tell you sound best (and they do IMO). However Dimbag Darrell has one of the best tones I have ever heardand he used SS for the majority of his career, but his gear cost thousands. I use a Bugera 22 combo (valve) that I got for £220 used (around $400?) and it served me well, and gigs amazingly.

lolwut
#ENTITLED
WENGER OUT!!!

lastfm
Quote by robbo546hall
lolwut

You can't deny he had a good tone.
Gear:

Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
Quote by ProphetToJables

you can certainly debate that, for a long time.

Some people say he had terrible tone, I disagree. His tone was tailor made for what Pantera was doing. I actually like some of his tones on their records, but it is all subjective, as I don't think he had the best tone, but it's nowhere near as bad as some people make it out to be.
Certainly not the best tone, but the opening solo on Cemetery Gates just shows what solid state can do, but you can acheive so much more for so much less with valves.
Gear:

Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
dimebag was a stunningly amazing guitar player but his tone was shite and i'll admit that the beginning solo does sound good but then the bit afterwards is shite tone wise, and this is coming from a pantera fan

even near the end dimebag swapped to tube
stay away from the MG line, they are way overpriced. The sound isn't that good for the $$. If your gonna go new, look into the JCA 20h and the matching 2x12 it should only run you a few more $$ than the MG(@$65). And don't let the 20 watts fool you the thing gets friggin loud. And it sounds realy good, especially for its price.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by ProphetToJables

Hell no, Dime was and is one of the most overrated guitarists of our time. His tone was not verry good and he was one of the sloppiest guitars also. Spare me the PANTERA is god and DamagePlan rules crap. Yes I can respect him for helping push metal a little, but at the end of the day, he's a hack.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Well, since this turned into a DimeDiscussion, I could put my two cents in. I've heard three Pantera songs. Cemetery Gates, Flood, and Walk (only reason I heard Walk was because A7X covered it then I listened to the original). I have to admit, the intro on CG was pretty ****ing good, and the rest was alright. Dime's tone was one to respect, but not one to topple the world.

As well, I don't pay much attention to amps (this is back ON topic), I just like what sounds good. A friend referred the MG series to me, so I decided to check with UG. You guys say **** MG. I'm gonna go test out some amps this weekend (Probably going to be combo amps like my Spider) and I'll let you know what I find.
I'd take an MG over a Spider III probably, at least it doesnt sound 100% digital.

But still, MG's are pretty bad, not bad for just a practice amp, but I wouldnt waste my money buying something bigger like more then 30w.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Peavey 6505
Bugera 6262/333xl
Line 6 flextone

Something along those lines
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
TC Electronic Flashback Delay
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
I'm listening to Walk as we speak.

Sure Dime may not have had the greatest tone, but he didn't need to. For what he was doing, his tone was fine.
Quote by Cathbard
Page 1 of 2