First of all, I'm not sure if this is the right forum or not, but I do have an issue with my electric guitar.

I'm playing on a Stagg brand knock-off strat (man, I hate strats, but it's all I could afford, lol) which has lasted me 5 years and is starting to present a bunch of problems.

1. I always break my low C string (I keep it in drop C tuning) within a few days. I never manage to break any of the other strings - just that one. I believe the saddle it rides on has become corroded and formed a sharp edge that is wearing the string. The binding never breaks - only the steel core in the string snaps, and the rest comes unravelled from there. Is this possible? If so, is there any cheap solution for this so I don't have to buy a new bridge/guitar, which I really can't afford for the moment, but it kills me not to be able to play my electric. Buying new strings wouldn't be a problem, but only one place in town sells them, and that's a 20 minute drive that I can't afford to make every time I need a new set. (I only use Ernie Ball Skinny Top Heavy Bottom strings with a .52 for the thickest, by the way).

2. The bottom little bracket on the nut broke off while I was playing one day - what is the easiest way to repair that? I actually CAN afford a new one of those. :P

3. The tuning keys begin slipping almost immediately after I tune certain strings back up. I think I need to get a new set - what would be a good set that doesn't cost too much? I'd rather not pay over $30 for tuning keys.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance.
Quote by rocklee1431
Wow, these all suck. Except for the Moth Whisperer over there.

Quote by VanTheKraut
If you voted anything other this, you're wrong and a queer and I personally challenge every last one of you to pistols at dawn.
Quote by hornet224
First of all, I'm not sure if this is the right forum or not, but I do have an issue with my electric guitar.

I'm playing on a Stagg brand knock-off strat (man, I hate strats, but it's all I could afford, lol) which has lasted me 5 years and is starting to present a bunch of problems.

1. I always break my low C string (I keep it in drop C tuning) within a few days. I never manage to break any of the other strings - just that one. I believe the saddle it rides on has become corroded and formed a sharp edge that is wearing the string. The binding never breaks - only the steel core in the string snaps, and the rest comes unravelled from there. Is this possible? If so, is there any cheap solution for this so I don't have to buy a new bridge/guitar, which I really can't afford for the moment, but it kills me not to be able to play my electric. Buying new strings wouldn't be a problem, but only one place in town sells them, and that's a 20 minute drive that I can't afford to make every time I need a new set. (I only use Ernie Ball Skinny Top Heavy Bottom strings with a .52 for the thickest, by the way).

2. The bottom little bracket on the nut broke off while I was playing one day - what is the easiest way to repair that? I actually CAN afford a new one of those. :P

3. The tuning keys begin slipping almost immediately after I tune certain strings back up. I think I need to get a new set - what would be a good set that doesn't cost too much? I'd rather not pay over $30 for tuning keys.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance.

1. I have had this happen to me, and you are right about the cause. New saddles would fix that problem, and shouldn't cost too much from a guitar store.

2. A new nut will be needed. Apparantly its not all that hard a repair to do, but I have never done it, so i can't comment directly.

3. You can likely get decent sets for around 30. Its been a while since I have bought any in a store, but I'm sure they can hook you up for a reasonable price.
5 years on a Stagg strat knock-off? Mate, you seriously need a new guitar. In any case,

1. New saddle

2. New nut (a new nut might need a bit of sanding to fit right, you could always ask for someone else to do it though).

3. It is possible to find tuners under 30$, you wouldn't wanna spend too much on a low-end guitar anyways.

But seriously, upgrade, you won't regret it in the long run.
^same on 1 and 2 as hawk5211

but #3, are you sure its the pegs? maybe you're just not accounting for the strings stretching?
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
above posters and yourself are correct about the saddle conundrum. A new set shouldn't run you more than $10 or $15, and it's a very easy fix

As to the replacement of the nut, it may seem a little scary if you haven't done it before, but it's really not that difficult. If you can get yourself an X-acto knife with a #11 blade it will be removed rather easily, but it may require some coaxing with a small chisel and hammer. Attaching the new nut is simple, a bit of Elmer's wood glue (some people dilute it with water) and presto!

now with the tuning pegs (please don't take offense if my suggestions seem kind of remedial) have you tightened the screws on the tops of the keys? and have you tightened any loose nuts the last time you changed strings? I have found though in my experiences with budget/no-name/low-quality tuning pegs that don't hold tuning well, using more wraps around the pole than normal seems to help a bit (using almost the whole string)
For question 3. Does the guitar have a tremolo bridge? If so that could be the cause of the tuning instability, it may need adjustment.
My Gear:
Suzuki Classical Guitar from 60s
B.C. Rich Warlock
Epiphone Les Paul Junior
Monterey Steel String Acoustic
Maton M255 Steel String Acoustic
Agile AL-3100 w/ EMG 81/85
Bugera 6262-212
Quote by argentotenebre
above posters and yourself are correct about the saddle conundrum. A new set shouldn't run you more than $10 or $15, and it's a very easy fix

As to the replacement of the nut, it may seem a little scary if you haven't done it before, but it's really not that difficult. If you can get yourself an X-acto knife with a #11 blade it will be removed rather easily, but it may require some coaxing with a small chisel and hammer. Attaching the new nut is simple, a bit of Elmer's wood glue (some people dilute it with water) and presto!
Wouldn't it be much easier to just secure the neck and then use a hair dryer to heat up the glue on the nut? That's what I used in the past and t worked like a charm. Came off with no brushing or chipping.
Thanks guys! I will definitely look into it. As for upgrading... well, it's just absolutely impossible for me to afford a new guitar at all right now, but as soon as I can find ANY source of income, I'm gonna work towards getting a Schecter Hellraiser C-1.
Quote by rocklee1431
Wow, these all suck. Except for the Moth Whisperer over there.

Quote by VanTheKraut
If you voted anything other this, you're wrong and a queer and I personally challenge every last one of you to pistols at dawn.