I know this has been done to death, but I just don't really understand it, and I need/want to.

I got my new head yesterday (NAD coming soon).

On the head it says 4 ohms minimum; Speaker jacks paralleled. There are 2 speaker jacks. It also has a cabinet impedance switch, with 4, 8 & 16 ohms options.

My cab has 2 jacks and a Stereo/ Mono switch. It says Stereo: 8 Ohms/ Channel, & Mono: 16 Ohms.

My question is, how do I go about connecting these with one speaker cable? Or do I need two?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
So on the amp I select 16 ohms, plug speaker cable into one of the parallel jacks, plug cable into the mono input on the cab while mono is selected, and I'm good to go?

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Can you explain why that works? Or, what parallel even means? I really want to understand this stuff, but whenever I start reading, I can't ever wrap my mind around/ comprehend it.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I=v/r
Quote by CodChick

Seriously, I'm not a fan of iphones and guitars mixing.
Quote by Offworld92
Can you explain why that works? Or, what parallel even means? I really want to understand this stuff, but whenever I start reading, I can't ever wrap my mind around/ comprehend it.

I'm probably not your guy as I have no training or schooling in electrical engineering. Someone like ragingkitty could do a much better job of explaining things if he had a spare 10 minutes or so.

I'll give you a high level view and if I mess anything up someone can correct me. It took me a while to get it figured out myself.

For tube amps you want to match impedance. Always. There are exceptions to this but for all practical purposes - match.

Now. Not all amps have dual speaker outs so for single speaker out amps - it is real easy. Dual speaker outs gives you the capability of running two cabs simultaneously without having to daisy chain them. If you ran 2 - 16 ohm cabs you set your amp to 8 ohms. Think of ohms as resistance. 8 ohms has half the resistance of 16. Parallel wiring in the amp allows this to happen. With parallel wiring you are dividing the original total by 2 where as series wiring you are adding (multiplying by 2).

Now. Running your amp in stereo with itself (dry/dry) into the same cab would pointless. Spreading your sound out on a stage with two cabs is a desirable feature. There are other benefits as well but that is the big one. Most 4x12 cabs are wired for stereo/mono. To me it always seemed a bit pointless to have a stereo cab because the speakers are all so close together - you are not getting any separation and can actually have phase or 'cancelling out' issues. Most people run their cabs in mono. I'm not going to get into cab wiring details but I have some diagrams I could show if you are interested and there is some good stuff on www.celestion.com

So, unless you plan on running complicated stereo rigs or wet/dry set ups I wouldn't worry about too much. Just plug your cab into the speaker jack that is closest to your output transformer and match up to 16