I'm planning on building a bass. I have read through a lot of articles and many of the stickies here etc. and I've found some woods to use. for my fingerboard I'm pretty set on ebony because It'll be fretless and I don't exactly trust other woods as much as I do ebony. I'm going for a natural look with dark woods. That being said, I absolutely adore indian rosewood...I just hate the price haha. If it were up to me I'd make the entire bass out of indian rosewood. Unless I stumble on someone selling a stash of it, that won't happen. So, I have been reading and what not and have got a few arguments:

for the body: korina vs. mahogany
for the neck: bubinga vs. walnut vs. wenge

whichever neck wood I choose I will be using that same wood as a veneer...laminant? whichever the correct word is for "ima gunna put the more gooder wood on topsy turvey of the bad wood"

Keep in mind prices, availability, tone augmentation of each wood, and ease of work.

p.s. if anyone has a link to a tutorial or whatever on neck-thru designs that'd be much appreciated, though not necessary right now.

Thanks
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
Well, I'd make anything out of Korina (assuming all Ashe trees magically died out of the greatness of Eric Cartman). And neck wood...... I have no clue dude, that really doesn't effect much at all unless it's a REALLY shitty piece o' wooden fribiers
hahahaha if its a bolt on i guess it doesnt matter. but a neck thru? and why ash?
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
I like ash cause it's just warm, without being dark and stuff, and I like the weight of it. But then I dunno what kinda bass you're thinking of, so it might be a lil' to heavy, lol.

Tell me again.....why do you want a neck thru?
i think its classy! naw uhno i think it looks nicer than a bolt on haha but to be honest, ill prolly end up with a bolt on because its more practical haha

also, i am looking for a warm tone, but i want the weight with it haha i like the feel and tone of heavier woods (hence indian rosewood). that's why its between mahogany and korina. korina being a bit heavier i think. same thing with walnut. well really, when you get a good piece its really beautiful. kind of goes unnoticed i think. bubinga is one of my all time favorites, but its so damn expensive.
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
The only real advantage is the cutaway, it can be really deep and stuff.

but Ash's warm and heavy, but......it's not exactly dark, lol, but you could just dye it. I'm gonna dye mine so it's like a golden oak sunburst. (Random little tid bit I thought I might add in, lol)
lol sall good. i think im gonna do the mahogany and walnut combo. walnut is a great looking wood. HOWEVER, i am gunna look up some soun samples from these revrend basses i just seen. they use korina cores. ill let you know!

yeh neck thru's give you some more flexibility in shaping, but i havent seen a neck thru do something a bolt on couldnt with a little larger body. uhno, im just an elitist. neck thrus cost more, so they must be better!

no screws on the back is kind of nice too (but if i end up bolting it ill just make plugs out of the wood i take out to make the holes haha)
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
Sweet dude. Always loved how big basses looked. Are you staining it or anything? You should post pics if you're doing more than just putting it together
will do. naw prolly just some danish oil or something. if i end up doing this i will defly be documenting it for you all haha. i totally just read some articles about how "tonewood" is a myth lol
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
If its a home-made bolt on, you can defiantly get the same comfort of a neck through, plus it is MUCH easier to build.

Walnut is a hidden gem for bass', and is a dream to work with. Ash is a pretty awesome starting wood, and cuts like butter with good tools. Wenge is tonewise a lot like maple, but not as bright. I know Ed Romans favourite body wood is korina, but be sure to check his site out.
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
well. i think i decided on what im gonna do. seeing how my current bass, that i built using the neck and body of a beginners ibanez, sounds better than my friends basses that cost them 2k and above (all exotic woods and what not), i think im just going to go with what i find aesthetically pleasing, easy to work with, and solid.

ebony fingerboard with a walnut neck and body. yum yum. i got it priced in at about 200 bucks for the wood. coupled with my lovely electronics and some new hardware and i think ill be a thousand bucks into her.

all-in-all. building an instrument is much better than buying one haha ill have pics and threads with questions as time goes on i think (mostly in regards to the neck probably, unless i can do it with carousels tutorial lol).

thanks for listening haha
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
assembled*
Remember that the sound from the amp is 99% on electronics and the amo, not the wood. A basswood bass with dimarzio pickups through a Sun O))) will sound better then a walnut/flamed maple bass, GFS pickups, through a little fender rumble 15.

My walnut body blank was 45$, but then again a bass is a bit bigger.
yehhh for real dude. i have great electronics and a great stack. so im not really worried about my wood at this point. i mean, sure id love someone to hand me a pile of indian rosewood haha but really, can you tell my bass is made out of alder as opposed to brazilian rosewood? probably not.

now im toying with the idea of a maple fingerboard that id ebonize. maple here is free haha as opposed to 170 for a piece i found.
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
Quote by bassman10101
yehhh for real dude. i have great electronics and a great stack. so im not really worried about my wood at this point. i mean, sure id love someone to hand me a pile of indian rosewood haha but really, can you tell my bass is made out of alder as opposed to brazilian rosewood? probably not.

now im toying with the idea of a maple fingerboard that id ebonize. maple here is free haha as opposed to 170 for a piece i found.

maple is too soft for fretless, or you'd need to heavily epoxy it.
^^^^ THANKS! my dad has been telling me to use maple for years...I keep telling him its not dense enough :P gawd. so right, found a good looking ebony plank for 170 or so.
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful