Hey UG, so I'm the guitarist for a singer and I've been asked to insert a solo into a modern pop song. But here's the thing. I'm the only guitarist and I can't possibly play a solo without backing/accompaniment yeah? It's gonna sound empty. So I've thought about what I can do but I'm not sure if it can actually work. Maybe I can record the backing chords and then play it on the sound system or something like that?

How do people/pros normally do this?

Oh and second problem. The song I'm doing with my friend is sort of an acoustic song. But in order to throw in a solo, i've gotta use an electric. So now i'm stuck with using an electric for an acoustic song. I can't use an acoustic guitar and switch to an electric halfway right? So guys give me some ideas,I could really use the help.
Easy solution: boss loop pedal.
And who says you can solo with an acoustic?

Loop your chords and then solo
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
Okay I can't shred on an acoustic. And are there any other methods that don't involve buying stuff? I'm kinda on a budget
For the first problem, soloing with chords is the way to go. play a couple bars of improv, play some chords on the beat, and make sure whatever you play keeps the music going. Just doing single lines wont cut it, you need to keep going rhythmically. it takes practice.

Second problem isnt a problem at all. Yes, you can switch between electric and acoustic mid song, Metallica does it live for Fade to Black (and Nothing Else Matters if i remember correctly). that also takes practice, but its simple once you get the hang of it.

if you cant switch though, try playing with your neck pickup for the acoustic parts and switch to bridge for the electric. this should supply a broad enough change.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Who says you need to shred to solo? I cant shred and every SINGLE time i do an open mic night or a gig i get tons of compliments on my playing.
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
Quote by musicTHEORYnerd
Easy solution: boss loop pedal.
And who says you can solo with an acoustic?

Loop your chords and then solo

I agree. I have the Boss ME-70 which has a looper. i throw on some percussive notes with my acoustic, chords and usually natural harmonics to add some sound and then plug in my electric.

acoustic soloing is pretty cool too. take 'What i got'- sublime for example. soloing isn't about your notes per minute. it's better to be more expressive in my opinion.
Idea! Switch roles! Your vocalist is the solo artist for the most part, while you do accompanying chords and background, so why not change it up? While you do a solo, get your vocalist to stomp his feet, clap his side, while possibly singing smooth legato lines along with it. Just a suggestion.
Wait a minute,you guys know what I'm asking about yeah? I wanna know if there are other ways if i can do solo with an accompaniment without an extra person playing the chords. Okay the boss pedal looks cool,I'm gonna check it out. But what if I record the chords on a cd or something and get the people to play it when I'm approaching the solo part? Cos you can't stop suddenly to play a solo right,when you've been playing the backing chords all along right?

And i don't intend to shred for the entire solo,the only reason why I wanna use an electric for the solo is cos I wanna bend notes. It's easier to bend on an electric rather than sliding on an acoustic. It's the tone that I want.
when I think of one guitarist doing rhythm and solos I always think of manowar, and to a lesser extent motorhead and budgie.

but with manowar, while they have a bassist, and such, I think karl logan does an amazing job of mixing the rhythm with lead.

basically youre just gonna have to workshop it a bit until you can figure out what sounds good. but I really dont think you need a backing track.

heres a cool example.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjhNWAo6DN8#t=2m8s
Hey guys here's the thing now. I've asked bout the RC and my area ran out of stock. So I need some ideas that involve recording the parts like and RC and looping it. Any ideas?
There aren't any other brands of looper available? I like my RC-20 but... Just record a backing track. That'll work but you need to practice spot on timing with the band. Or do the chord/lead thing (don't know how to discribe it) where you play chords but throw in lead lines so the audience doesn't get lost on the flow of the song.
let me get this straight, its just vocals and guitar right? no drums no bass no keyboard nothing....

if this is the case then either get a looper or record a backing track. also if the songs acoustic why not solo acoustic? and if it doesn't have to be acoustic then why not just play the song electric, at least when you play live. remember when you play for a recording you can use as many guitars as your heart desires. so you can record the acoustic stuff then record electric stuff. also you can compose the solo so that you imply the chords in the progression and you wont really need to have a backing track.....
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
I'm not sure how to go bout doing the chord lead thing. And the song is a fast paced pop song. So I can't really use acoustic. I'm gonna sound dead boring on acoustic.

Alright so another alternative would be to record it on a cd? But how do I get the perfect recording? Like,if I record with my iPhone it's not gonna sound good,with all that static.

And yeah I don't have a drummer or a bassist or another guitarist covering me.
how much theory do you know?

what chords are you using? what key are you in?

if you are in the key of C and your progression is C F G you can play along using only these notes:
measure 1: CEGB (Cmaj7)
measure 2: FACE (Fmaj7)
measure 3: GBDF(G7)

also try to add double stops things like this (all of these work just fine over an Fmaj7):

e|-13-|
b|-13-|
or
e|-17-|
b|-18-|
or
e|-13-|
b|-17-|

these are only a few different double stops, but you can use which ever ones you want. also you can let the root notes ring out where the chord should be or keep hitting that note like every other note so you could do something like |CECFCGCB|FAFBFCFE|GBGCGDGF|
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
Alright that sounds good. I'll try that but ok,let's say if I wanna do something like 'California king bed' by rihana. I'm tryin to do that kind of solo at the end. So that's why I can't use an acoustic. I can't bend the 20th fret on an acoustic guitar can I?
probly not but you can bend the 8th fret which is the same note...... but you can also just write with a clean electric
Quote by Dirk Gently