As you can tell from the title I am trying to pick a amp i want to use for recording. My budget is about 1200 dollars and my playing style is in between led zeppelin, kirk hammett and santana. the guitars that i use are an epiphone les paul black beauty with seymour duncan pickups which can be coil tapped, a kirk hammett ltd ouija with emg 81/60's and a copy strat.i also have a marshall 1960BV cab. the sounds i am looking for are nice cleans that can be mellow but also bright and leads that can be thick and heavy like metallica but nice smooth creamy leads with good sustain. i have an od pedal but i would rather not use it i wanna use the least effects as possible with exception of reverb. which one of these amps would be better for these things that i described? other options would be okay too.
jcm will get you more gain i think, my buddy played a DSL100 last week after his amp gave out at a show and he was saying how the DSL didnt have as much gain on tap that his 6505 had but his other guitar player has an old jcm800 and with a OD he gets enough gain. I would go with the JCM.

Epi LP Custom EMGs
ESP H-1000
Schecter Elite 7
Jackson Dominion
Peavey Valveking Head
Jet City JCA24s
Blackstar HT20 & HTV212
MXR Pedals
Schecter Stiletto Custom
Schecter Stiletto Studio
Fender Vintage Modified
Ampeg B2RE
Fender 4x10 Cab
oh btw i will not use the strat or coil tap on the dirty channel. but aren't the dsl's supposed to have more gain?
make sure you try the JCM800. I know the JCM900 is supposed to be a higher gain head, but a lot of metal players use the JCM800.
---
http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/msg/2410926359.html Forget all the rest. Beg, borrow, ***** yourself out for $300 more and buy this head. Thank me later.

If you really can't do that...
http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/msg/2409128310.html I've played a few Riveras before and never been disappointed.
http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/msg/2399675343.html Here's a DSL for you. The JCM900 is probably better for what you want, but the DSL is still a nice amp and a bit more modern sounding.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Of the two in the OP, the SLX is nicer, but if you spend more than $600 on either you got screwed. Also, neither amp is even worth considering if you have $1200 for an amp.
thanks tomorrow im going to samash and im going to try out this jcm900 sl-x i saw for about 800. the weird thing was on the tag it said it was used buy george lynch and j. page(im guessing jimmy page) but as far as i know jimmy didnt use jcm900's and if he did why was it there? on the inside of the head it was written j. page stage left so i dont know i want to find out what that is about
Hmm, A Bogner XTC, a DSL or an SL-X? Excuse me while I remove some of my brain because otherwise the choice is too easy.

Jump on that Bogner.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
It's a bit expensive for him, but if you ***** yrself out to a couple of fat chicks you'll make up the difference.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
I like the DSL50, but rokket2005 is right - Marshalls are really overpriced for what you get. You can do better in your budget.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
For what you want, I don't think you should be looking at either one of those amps.

I wasn't even a fan of the XTC when I had one, but you'd be retarded not to buy that amp for that price
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Jun 5, 2011,
See the thing is I dont have this money cash. Its a financing card thingy. Otherwise I would try to get that xtc. But seeing that 1500 is it's used price I don't think I'm going to be able to get from samash and that's the only place where I can use that finance card thing. But I'll try for the xtc but any other suggestions? And thank you all for the help
I would suggest you not use financing to buy an amp, but whatever...
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com