I want a stereo rig, one pumping out smooth bass from a solid state amp, and another cranking some heated middy trebly overdriven sounds from a tube preamp, SS power amp combo or 100+ watt tube amp preferably in head form but combo works too so long as it's cheap as in less than $300 american dollars. Can be a guitar amp too I don't care.

My current amp and other side to the stereo question is a GK MB200 head.
You're seriously asking to find a 100 watt tube head for sub $300?
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
You won't find a tube head for that low of a price.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
I don't see why people think having a valve pre-amp will get them overdrive. Some amps have the capability built-in, but most will just clip if you push them too hard.

Also, you'll get a pretty crappy amp for $300
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
I think some old traynor amps or selmer, loud city(i think thats what they were called) would go for that much. Also some players have used old pa amp thingy's that have a few inputs but are tube powered to power there rigs. Have a look arounnd.

Or alternativaly buy a cheapish poweramp. Get an ampeg svp II preamp and another cleaner preamp and run them both into the poweramp and into to cabs. This however will cost more.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
isn't pre amp distortion what people like on guitar? I assumed it transferred over, and I am only looking in the used or byoc market, no new. I've seen several peavey heads that fit the description go by on craigslist under 300 I just wasn't sure what you guys might recommend.
Nay, it's the saturated tube distortion that occurs when you crank the power section that everyone ogles over.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
For metal players though its the preamp distortion that they crave to get those eh tones they crave. For bass its really just Grrrrr.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
kk, I was curious on that, I am trying to do something similar to I guess al cisneros of sleep or ugh geddy lee. The guitarist I play with is very lead and jam oriented, and since we are a three piece me and the drummer have a lot of sonic space to fill, and I figured going in stereo with two tones splitting the room would be very nice
Bump up your price to $500 and you should have a few decent to awesome (used) tube heads within range. You just have to be vigilant and keep an eye out for good deals... craigslist, pawn shops, garage/yard sales, bazaars, church sales... etc...

-Traynor YBA-1
-Traynor YBA-3 cs/scs(mayyyybe)
-Traynor YBA-200
-Ampeg V4/V4b
-Ampeg B-25/B-25b
-Fender Bassman
-Fender PA100
-Peavey VB-2
-Mesa Buster Bass
-Old Univox/Silvertone tube amps

*bolded=amps you MAY find for $300 or less.
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Quote by askrere
kk, I was curious on that, I am trying to do something similar to I guess al cisneros of sleep or ugh geddy lee. The guitarist I play with is very lead and jam oriented, and since we are a three piece me and the drummer have a lot of sonic space to fill, and I figured going in stereo with two tones splitting the room would be very nice

In that regard... a solidstate amp with a lot of wattage and a good OD pedal in front of it should do the trick fine.

Al Cisneros famously uses inexpensive/easily found pedals... notably a Boss DS-1 and a DOD250.
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Quote by Din of Win
In that regard... a solidstate amp with a lot of wattage and a good OD pedal in front of it should do the trick fine.

Al Cisneros famously uses inexpensive/easily found pedals... notably a Boss DS-1 and a DOD250.

Thanks so much, I just recently got introduced to them and electric wizard and fell in love. I saw an 8 minute mini documentary on youtube about sleep, and his like giant matamp stacks were mentioned and I knew I must have a substitute for way less $$$. I'm glad though he's a cheap person like me, and can live with very much non boutique pedals. I guess this means I just need to find another cheap amp.
Unfortunatly... a lot of Al Cisneros (Sleep/Om/Shrinebuilder) and Tim, or currently, Taz, ( Electric Wizard)... their overall sound have a lot more to do with their gear than just a tone type begotten from effects... and unfortunatly their tone is a VERY expensive thing to try and copy. It's hard to explain to someone who hasn't really experienced a REALLY loud show... but the visceral effect of just a litteral wall of amps is something that just can NOT be copied no mater what pedal is being used...

Here's a rundown of their gear:

Al:

Basses:
-Ric 4003 (2 of them) (all bands)

Heads:
-Electric Amp 200w tube amps (4 of them: 2 Green, 1 Matamp, 1 HiWatt)(Sleep/Shrinebuilder)
-Ampeg SVT CL 300w tube amp (2 of them) (Om)
-Marshall JCM 2000 guitar amp (2 of them) (Om)
-Orange AD-200b 200w tube amp (backup) (Sleep/Shrinebuilder)
-Ampeg 450h 450w ss amp (backup) (Om)

Cabs:
-Custom Green 4x15 (2 of them) (Sleep/Shrinebuilder)
-Ampeg 8x10 (2 of them) (Om)
-Marshall 4x12 (3 of them) (Om)

Pedals:
-DOD250
-Boss DS-1
-MXR Distortion
-Mutron III
-Morley Volume Pedal
-Morley AB box
-Boss TU-2

Tim/Taz:

Basses:
-Kramer XL-9 (Tim)
-Ric 4003 (Taz)
-Traben ??? (Taz)

Amps:
-Ampeg SVT CL (1 or 2) (Tim)
-SWR ??? (Taz)
-Orange AD-200b (Taz)

Cabs:
-Ampeg 8x10 (2 of them) (Both)
-Emperor 4x15 (Taz)

Pedals:
-none live... a muff and maybe a phaser is used on a few recordings

So there ya go... those rigs cost quite a few thousand dollars...

My honest opinion... i live in probably THEE doom metal capital of the world... the MD/DC/VA/WVA/PA area... TONS of people play doom stuff. For those that can afford it, a funn Sunn rig is what is most commonly used. But, i've seen countless bands use an 80's Peavey rig with great success!! Look for a used Peavey Mark 3, 4, 6 or 7 head, and Peavey cabs... 2x15s, 4x12 (the 4x12 TVX is one of THEE best bass 4x12s period), or one of the "mickey mouse cabs" the 1x15+2x10 or the collosal 2x18+2x12... the Mark heads will be easily under $200 each, and the cabs should also be in that range... It's a super cheap and great sounding way to get the VOLUME you need to do the doom metal sound.
Oh I know loud, I saw a local band called the roller a few weeks ago, The bass player used a SVT and a Mesa rack with like 4 cabs 2 8x10's and 2 1x15's, the guitarist had an orange and two marshall stacks. I loved their tone, and I know I cannot achieve that on a student budget.
Funny, there's a guy selling a Peavey Mark IV with a 2x10 for $200, if I can sell my Acoustic guitar or jazz bass, I might be able to get it. Then plug my GK MB200 to a 1x15. I'll be playing a stereo P bass with two P pups, the bridge going to the Peavey (or what I get) and the neck going to the GK and 1x15. The bridge will be my dirt channel, and my neck will take my clean effect. I am only really facing a 40 watt bogner alchemist and a pretty loud but appropriately dynamic drummer.
Quote by askrere
. I'll be playing a stereo P bass with two P pups, the bridge going to the Peavey (or what I get) and the neck going to the GK and 1x15. The bridge will be my dirt channel, and my neck will take my clean effect.

Woah...

...THAT will sound awesome!

There's some good info out there on how Al Cisneros and Jesse Keeler use their dual-output Rics, regarding clean/dirty channels. The effect is amazing... i'm stoked for ya!
Quote by Din of Win
Woah...

...THAT will sound awesome!

There's some good info out there on how Al Cisneros and Jesse Keeler use their dual-output Rics, regarding clean/dirty channels. The effect is amazing... i'm stoked for ya!

Thanks for the encouragement, I just put an order in for the final pieces of my bass, so hopefully by early next week I should have the bass ready. I need to scrape together some money without getting a real job.