I didn't know whether or not to post this in the building/customisation thread, but it's not really customisation I guess so here goes:

I seem to be having a couple of problems with my wah (model in title). I've googled around a fair bit but haven't really found anything helpful, but then again believe it or not I'm quite poor at googling.

1) I believe there are grounding problems. When I plug it in and turn it on it hums massively, but ceases to hum when I bypass it or have the back open and am touching the components. How do I fix this?

2) I'm not sure how to describe this, but the range of sweep(?) over which the tone changes is incredibly small. As far as I can hear, any change in tone happens in the space of a couple of millimetres of turning the pot. Is this normal? Is there a way to change this with my current components, or should I replace the pot?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Edit: Forgot to add that as far as I'm aware, everything is completely stock. It's quite an old pedal though so I can't vouch for that. A friend owned it before me, then another friend borrowed it for a while and now it's back to me. It's been far too long for me to remember if problem #1 existed before, but I know for sure #2 has always been there as long as I've used it.
Last edited by Chrois at Jun 5, 2011,
if its quite old.....replacing the pots would help a lot anyway. Where do you have your wah in your signal chain?
Quote by gurg06
if its quite old.....replacing the pots would help a lot anyway. Where do you have your wah in your signal chain?

At the moment it's just guitar-->wah (powered by new 9V battery) --> amp, since I only just got it back and decided to give it a try again after spending the past 5 years mainly playing acoustic.
about the range... the gcb-95 is cheap, and people say it sucks just cause of that... i got one, modded it for truebypass so it doesn't suck tone, but the range sweep still sucks... i don't know if i use the wah enough to feel the need to buy another one... but i do miss midrange frequencies.

essentialy this wah is just, bass and treble, no mid range.
GUITARS: Gibson Les Paul Classic 1960
PEDALBOARD: TC POLYTUNE, GCB-95(mod)CRYBABY, MXR DYNACOMP, WAMPLER SUPERPLEXTORTION, TS-9, BIG MUFF, SMALL STONE, SMALL CLONE, MALEKKO EKKO 616, DR SCIENTIST MINI REVERBERATOR
MY COVERS
SELLING TS-9 w/ TB MOD
I can't address the grounding issue, but mods I've had done to fix my sweep were a changing of the sweep capacitor and a mid range boost by changing out a resistor. Check out GB&C for deets on how to do that, or PM me.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=476372
Epi Explorer
Squier Vintage Modified Tele

Dunlop Crybaby (modded)
TC Polytune
Marshall ED-1
Vexter Box of Rock
Harmonic Jerkulator (home made)
Boss CE-3
Line6 Echo Park

Modified Traynor YCV40
Fender Super Champ XD