Overall the production was good on this tune, I thought though that it could use a couple differerent changes somewhere past the middle. The first of the song was enjoyable but after the middle section it sorta dragged on, sorta like you got lost in there or over played, maybe if you changed the drums up a bit it would help too. I am guilty of this as well sometimes. I did like the dirty sounding rythm guitar at the begining. I'd still give 5 stars because it has a lot of good potential. Nice job.

Thanks for the crit on my song btw.
Quote by Pond Scum
Overall the production was good on this tune, I thought though that it could use a couple differerent changes somewhere past the middle. The first of the song was enjoyable but after the middle section it sorta dragged on, sorta like you got lost in there or over played, maybe if you changed the drums up a bit it would help too. I am guilty of this as well sometimes.

Yea I understand - I'm probably the only one who enjoys listening to myself solo for 4 minutes I didn't premeditate the solos at all, I just knew where I was going to start and jammed out. So that's what happens I guess - I tend to drag on and "over play" every time I have the chance, improv's just my favorite thing to do with the g-tar. I get lost for days in that muh fukka ya dig?

Thank you for the critique!
Hey dude, thanks for your crit!

I'm not really a fan of prog-metal, but I'll give my best to give you a nice crit.

The Intro is really nice, as is the transition into the solo. The drums seem to be really loud, nearly drowing out the guitars, or at least overpowering them. I'd make them a lot more quieter and try to put them a bit into the background. And maybe change the drum pattern a bit, since it seems to be pretty much the same for quite some time.

The guitar sound is really good, has a tad to much gain for my taste, but then again it's metal, so yeah

The change at around 1:35 comes at exaclty the right time, and sounds pretty cool. The re-entering of the drums sound a bit odd, and again to loud for my taste.

The solo is well written, but as mentioned earlier a bit to long. at the end it just seems to drag on and on, and this is not good.

So, the only complaint I really have is that the drums are too loud, otherwise nice solo!

Gear:
Ibanez SZ320 -> Höfner Analouge Delay -> MXR GT-OD -> Laney GH50L -> T.C.Electronics GMajor -> Line6 4x12 w/ Celestion G12T-75

My Lyrics and Poems

"with golden hair and perfect eyes,

with hollow words and empty lies."
I liked it, very bluesy, but the drums are wayy too loud. It overpowers the song and the bass is a bit too low, especially around the middle when the bass is just playing. Its very good, just some mastering issues, fixing the drums will make this much better. Also it seemed to end kind of suddenly, cought me off guard, idk maybe its just me.

c4c? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1445416
2/17/08 Kosova's independence!!!
Thanks for the critique guys, I messed with the mix a bit and evened the volumes out, the new version is the one thats posted now.
Immediately as I begin to listen to guitar tone reminds me of the rhythm tones present on Coheed and Cambria's Neverender album. I'm not sure if that was in any way an inspiration, but its too similar to not mention.

The little lead solo is pretty cool, albeit it seems to lack a real destination. The phrasing is interesting, but I would say overdone in some parts with the stops. It's not terrible, it's just not doing much for me.

Pretty weird change to what sounds like synth bass. Very unexpected, and in this case very cool.

The second solo is doing the same thing for me as the first. And even more noticeable is some out of time parts as well. There are a few good licks in there though. You definitely overuse stops and the like though. Your solos need more constructing and should really do more to relay an emotion rather than just be a compilation of what seems like random notes.

Overall though, it's pretty decent, but needs a lot of work. The production is solid. You really can't ask for more. Everything sounds fantastic, but the composition needs work.
Check out Hear the Indie for music reviews, interviews, and more.

Want a review? Send me a PM or email through the contact form on my site.
Quote by Ulalume
Immediately as I begin to listen to guitar tone reminds me of the rhythm tones present on Coheed and Cambria's Neverender album. I'm not sure if that was in any way an inspiration, but its too similar to not mention.

The little lead solo is pretty cool, albeit it seems to lack a real destination. The phrasing is interesting, but I would say overdone in some parts with the stops. It's not terrible, it's just not doing much for me.

Pretty weird change to what sounds like synth bass. Very unexpected, and in this case very cool.

The second solo is doing the same thing for me as the first. And even more noticeable is some out of time parts as well. There are a few good licks in there though. You definitely overuse stops and the like though. Your solos need more constructing and should really do more to relay an emotion rather than just be a compilation of what seems like random notes.

Overall though, it's pretty decent, but needs a lot of work. The production is solid. You really can't ask for more. Everything sounds fantastic, but the composition needs work.

Thanks! Yeah I definitely know what you mean, but hey - I just let my fingers drive dude, i aint scurred! Accidentals beware cause I really don't mind hitting them at all.. I play these improv solos by ear and by feel, it turns out the way it turns out, which is unique every time. Some good parts, some not so good parts.. I accept it. Only 1 way to get better right? Maybe I'll sit down and spend some time actually writing and phrasing up a solo soon and see what I can come up with. . I appreciate your advice!
Last edited by cm880999 at Jun 6, 2011,
i love the laid back, bluesy feel of this jam.
i especially like the parts where you just let loose, and play notes that aren't necessarily "in key", making it sound fresh, jazzy, and unique

however, i wouldn't go so far as calling it a "prog metal solo"- prog is distinct in that it focus on careful and deliberate composition, as well as improvising and virtuosity.
you certainly have the skills for prog, from what i've heard, but instead of releasing a new song every couple of days, i suggest you sit down, compose a song, try and get it to progress and have an epic climax, and spend some time recording, playing around, and changing bits. It'll take a bit more effort, but it'll feel a lot better once you're done.

Keep up the good work. cheers, nabhan.