i'm just starting to figure out sweep picking, can anyone give me some easy arpeggio shapes to try it out on? i can't seem to come up with any
Arpeggios are just the notes of chords played individually man. Look at the shapes you use to play chords, its all the same stuff, just move em around the neck. This link will help you out.

clicky

I'd just give you shapes but you'll learn em better this way, I promise
e|19p15------------15---|
b|---------17----17-------|
g|-------------16----------|
d|--------------------------|
a|--------------------------|
E|--------------------------|
Quote by TMVATDI
i'm just starting to figure out sweep picking, can anyone give me some easy arpeggio shapes to try it out on? i can't seem to come up with any

If you can't construct your own suitable arpeggios I think you have some things to learn before you should try to learn how to sweep to be honest.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Guitarguyteddyb
Im actually in the process of just making videos of all potential sweeping patterns for people who are ignorant to them because sweeping is not hard once you find a comfortable pattern.

Look up lori lindstruths a maj 9 sweep video. Its great

So this video must be several days long, right?

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
hey guys i'm totally 100% aware of what an arpeggio is and about chord construction and everything, i'm not a theory retard okay lol its just i doubt people are sweep picking bar chords and the more basic jazz chords lol. i know EXACTLY how to construct these things, i just can't think of shapes that are easy to sweep pick but don't also look just kinda silly. i like fallen-seeker's answer :p
Quote by TMVATDI
hey guys i'm totally 100% aware of what an arpeggio is and about chord construction and everything, i'm not a theory retard okay lol its just i doubt people are sweep picking bar chords and the more basic jazz chords lol. i know EXACTLY how to construct these things, i just can't think of shapes that are easy to sweep pick but don't also look just kinda silly. i like fallen-seeker's answer :p

So basically, you want the easy way out, instead of putting in the effort and hard miles yourself. Maybe you shouldn't play an instrument.
Quote by SonOfSanguinus
So basically, you want the easy way out, instead of putting in the effort and hard miles yourself. Maybe you shouldn't play an instrument.

Yeah, I'm inclined to agree with the former part of this. TS, you should really learn the theory necessary to craft your own arpeggios. Chops are far from everything, true musical competency can't be achieved until you have a good understanding of theory. You could sweep like Jason Becker, but if you don't know what notes you're playing and what all musical situations where the arpeggios you're blazing through work and don't work, you couldn't really say that you were truly competent with sweep picking as a musical tool, not just a technique. Learn the theory behind your arpeggios, it will help you a lot in the long run.

Here's a really good resource for learning your theory: http://www.zentao.com/guitar/theory/
heres some of the first shapes i learned. i found it easiest to start with 3 string shapes. of course you can move the shapes wherever on the neck they are most comfortable for you to learn.

e|--15p12-----------12--------|
b|--------13----13------------|
g|-----------12---------------|
d|----------------------------|
a|----------------------------|
e|----------------------------|

b|--------14----14------------|
g|-----------12---------------|

b|--------13----13------------|
g|-----------14---------------|

etc... just mess around with them and youll start figuring out new ones on your own.
after you get 3 strings down, you can just add more strings/fingers to the ones you know. hope this helps

e|--17p13----------------13---|
b|--------15----------15------|
g|-----------14----14---------|
d|--------------15------------|

e|--15p12---------------------12----|
b|--------13----------------13------|
g|-----------12----------12---------|
d|--------------14----14------------|
a|-----------------15---------------|
e|----------------------------------|
Quote by TMVATDI

think about the standard sweep picking shape associated with yngwie. that 2 octave shape. that's an Am-style barre chord. if you doubt people are sweeping barre chords, what exactly do you think they sweep?
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
rofl the two people above ^^ didnt even read his post. He understands how to construct chords. He wants easy shapes, just like zaphod said, you could make arpeggio shapes for literally hours. So why not find some easy ones or ask around.

Think, you have 12 tones and 144 notes on the fretboard. He is just asking for easy fingerings.
These are all your basic completely movable "shapes", which is why I didn't include the proper names, as the names will change when you move them.

Maj 1
20-p-15-------------15--
-----------17-----17------
---------------17----------

Maj 2
12-p-8---------8--------
---------8----8-----------
------------9------------

Maj 3
15-p-12--------------12---
-----------13-----13--------
---------------12-------------

minor 1
17-p-12--------------12---
-----------13-----13------
---------------14---------

minor 2
12-p-8-----------8---
---------10---10-----
-------------9--------

minor 3
20-p-17-------------17----
-----------17-----17-------
---------------17-----------

Edit:

Dim 1
8-p-5---------5--------
--------7----7--------
-----------5---------

Dim 2
14-p-8-------------8--
---------10-----10---
-------------11------

Dim 3
17-p-13-------------13-
-----------14-----14----
---------------13-----
"Could everyone please stop sounding like everyone else that's trying to sound like meshuggah?"

-Emil Werstler

Quote by damian_91
Kurt Cobain, the best guitarist to ever live.

Quote by hansome21
rofl the two people above ^^ didnt even read his post. He understands how to construct chords. He wants easy shapes, just like zaphod said, you could make arpeggio shapes for literally hours. So why not find some easy ones or ask around.

Think, you have 12 tones and 144 notes on the fretboard. He is just asking for easy fingerings.

rofl haha you didn't read my post. and it was so necessary to post that.

listen, man, i've seen you around MT enough to know that you know at least basic theory well enough to apply it. if you can't find shapes, it's obviously not a theory issue, it's a technical issue. if you know that an Am chord consists of A, C, and E, how come you can't find them on the fretboard in a position where they can be swept?

sounds like it's also an issue of not knowing the fretboard well enough.

and don't be worried about shapes "looking silly". that's asinine. function over form.
I KNOW THE THEORY BEHIND IT, I DON'T NEED TO BE LECTURED ON THAT, GODD DAAMM. and i've memorized the fretboard, or at least the first 12 frets cuz i only have a nylon string acoustic and that's as far as it goes but it all repeats from there so duh. i can't think of a spot where its easy to get all 4 notes of any type of 7th chord picking both up or down. its not a knowledge problem, if anything its a problem of just sucking at sweeping. knowledge and technique are 2 different things, i'll admit to my technique sucking any day.
Quote by TMVATDI
I KNOW THE THEORY BEHIND IT, I DON'T NEED TO BE LECTURED ON THAT, GODD DAAMM. and i've memorized the fretboard, or at least the first 12 frets cuz i only have a nylon string acoustic and that's as far as it goes but it all repeats from there so duh. i can't think of a spot where its easy to get all 4 notes of any type of 7th chord picking both up or down. its not a knowledge problem, if anything its a problem of just sucking at sweeping. knowledge and technique are 2 different things, i'll admit to my technique sucking any day.

Dude, chill out. You came in here for help. If you don't like what you've gotten, ask a different or a more specific question, but don't go after people for not giving the answer you want to see. If it's technical advice you want rather than theory, just ask. No one's gonna get mad about that. Answering those kinds of questions is what this forum is here for.

Now, for the technical aspect of sweeping, I think it's a skill that shines best on the electric guitar, so you're going to have some trouble with a nylon string acoustic for a few reasons:

-Limited number of frets
Most of the "sweep shapes" that you see are played on the upper frets because the stretches are easier to manage. Smaller frets = smaller stretching. On a nylon-string acoustic, you've got a much more limited number of frets, so you're going to encounter difficulty with most of the normal three- and five-string arpeggio shapes.

-Different Neck
A nylon-string guitar tends to have a much wider neck than a steel-string acoustic or an electric guitar. That works out fine for classical guitar music and technique, but transposing electric guitar technique to classical is on occasion more difficult than it would seem because of this. Also, the frets are more widely spaced than is usual on an electric guitar or a steel-string acoustic, IIRC, which goes back to my previous point.

-Different Needs for Muting
A nylon-string guitar does not have the same muting issues that an electric guitar does. That isn't to say that muting technique does not exist, mind you, but that it is different than would be encountered on an electric guitar. A distorted electric guitar is a much different beast than a nylon-string guitar.

It is my belief that sweeping is a less a picking skill and more an extension of muting technique. That's how I viewed it in practice. Really, there isn't a whole lot to sweeping aside from getting used to the muting technique. Otherwise, (broadly speaking, mind you) it's not a whole lot different than strumming for the right hand and legato for the left.

You cannot practice sweeping as it exists for the electric guitar on a nylon-string guitar. The two instruments are entirely different and while you will encounter a number of identical techniques on the two, there are also a number of skills that are analogous but dissimilar enough that they need to be considered as different techniques. I don't know much about classical guitar technique, but I can say that it is not the same approach that an electric guitarist would use. If you want to learn sweep picking as applies to the electric guitar, do it on an electric guitar. A nylon-string guitar will serve you fine for a number of skills, but sweeping is not one of them, in my opinion.
Quote by TMVATDI

No, that's still a knowledge problem. If you can't find a decent way of fingering any 7th arpeggio that's useful for sweeping then you need to think a bit harder either about your knowledge of the fretboard or your approach to sweeping.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by TMVATDI
its not a knowledge problem, if anything its a problem of just sucking at sweeping. knowledge and technique are 2 different things, i'll admit to my technique sucking any day.

see, that's what you're not getting, bro, it IS a knowledge problem. not necessarily of theory, but the fretboard. if you knew the fretboard as well as you said you did, you'd be able to find a spot where there are the notes A, C, E, and G on some or all strings within one position (two if you absolutely must).
I think the opening poster means:

"I know where all the notes are, I just don't know how to position my fingers/mute the notes properly since the technique is new to me"

OP, correct me if I'm wrong.
He is definitely asking for shapes, not help with fingering..

I won't say anything further than TS, you've got a bunch of different, knowledgeable people telling you the same thing.. Swallow your pride and listen, ignorance won't get you anywhere.