Hi all, I have had a look for this but can't find much on it.

I'm just wanting to know what difference making my humbuckers out of phase will do, and to do it do i just turn the bucker around?

Thanks.

P.s I play metal
Running through:

Engl Fireball
Engl Slanted Cab
Ibanez Xiphos
Schecter C-1 FR Black
Ibanez GRG (on its way)

Pedals:
Boss Noise Gate, Zakk Wylde Overdrive, Boss Tuner, Zakk Wylde Wah.
Last edited by avenge the rage at Jun 5, 2011,
Quote by avenge the rage
Hi all, I have had a look for thos but can't find much on it.

I'm just wanting to know what difference making my hamburgers out of phase will do, and to do it do i just turn the bucker around?

Thanks.

P.s I play metal

Wtf?
All you need is yo' fingers and the strings
Ah I did it from my phobe, stupid thing. Edited now :-)
Running through:

Engl Fireball
Engl Slanted Cab
Ibanez Xiphos
Schecter C-1 FR Black
Ibanez GRG (on its way)

Pedals:
out pf phase makes the humbucker sound thinner and has less output

to do it you need to rewire the humbucker to switch the out of one coil to the out of the other(i hope that made sense)
Ah so it would sound worse for a metal tone.

I think it makes sense, Il try it on a better guitar
Running through:

Engl Fireball
Engl Slanted Cab
Ibanez Xiphos
Schecter C-1 FR Black
Ibanez GRG (on its way)

Pedals:
do you want to put the humbuckers out of phase with each other, or the coils of a humbucker out of phase?

it looks like you want to take a humbucker and get it out of phase with the other humbucker in your guitar, whereas most people seem to be answering as if you're trying to get the two coils within a humbucker out of phase.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
It sounds thin and weak basically.

To put one pickup out of phase with the other, you reverse the hot and ground conductors of the pickup (not the bare ground wire if the pickup has one, usually there will be an insulated wire going to ground as well, thats the one you want to swap)

To put 2 coils of a humbucker out of phase with each other, you need a 4 conductor pickup. Swap the south coil start (ground wire) with the south coil finish (one of the series link conductors, the 2 that are joined together and taped off if you don't have any coil splits) You'll need to check the colour codes of your pickups to know which wire is which.

Also, if a humbucker is out of phase with itself, it will no longer cancel hum.
So there would be no point in me doing it if it will make it thin sounding really is there?
Running through:

Engl Fireball
Engl Slanted Cab
Ibanez Xiphos
Schecter C-1 FR Black
Ibanez GRG (on its way)

Pedals: