hello forum, i am a beginner at playing guitar with only 5-6 months of playing and recently i've been trying to play barre chords and barring a full fret for some classical guitar songs i want to learn. The problem is that i have a curve in the middle joint of my index finger and no matter how hard i press or how i position my index finger the G sting gets muted out, if i move my finger up more the D string gets muted out. other than that all other strings play perfectly its just that damn curve in the middle joint. i uploaded pictures with this post so you can see. there not the best but i just wanted to show them to see if anyone can help me with this problem. please anyone can you help me resolve this problem? thank you!!
Attachments:
Optimized-Photo-0043 (1).jpg
Optimized-Photo-0045 (1).jpg
@supersac: i do try to use the side of my finger and the problem is still there. also i have formed a calus on the top joint of my finger from barring 3 strings. could this be a problem?
Quote by KCARD650
@supersac: i do try to use the side of my finger and the problem is still there. also i have formed a calus on the top joint of my finger from barring 3 strings. could this be a problem?

i have a similaer callous
try shifting the gap so that its between strings onjiust muting them
Barre the strings that you only need. If your playing a six string major, obviously your index finger only needs to ring out E/B/E. After you are able to do, try a Minor, then just slowly practice your way til you can barre the entire board with only your index finger. I had the same trouble for the first year.
Quote by milliorn
Barre the strings that you only need. If your playing a six string major, obviously your index finger only needs to ring out E/B/E. After you are able to do, try a Minor, then just slowly practice your way til you can barre the entire board with only your index finger. I had the same trouble for the first year.

yes i see your point but some of the classical type music i want to play requires that you barre down a full fret
Well you might be jumping ahead of the game in skills, when you need to start small and simple and work up to it, think of that? What if someone started playing guitar because they loved Cannibal Corpse. Ya think they are gonna learn that anytime soon? No. Any example fits that analogy. Point is, you can't just jump right into it. Build up the talent and skill first to be able to do such things. Start simple. Perfect it, move on/up.
yeah i guess your right about that but what im basically asking is that has anyone had this issue of that middle joint gap and also i am worried that if i continue on playing barre chords like this, the 2 to joints will form caluses and that gap will get deeper because no matter how hard i press i cant get that G string to sound
Again, I had the same problem with that string. My reasons were different but you will learn to adapt one way or another as in figure out a solution with practice so long as you don't continue to try and make it work. Instead like the other person mention, adapt basically until one solution does work. I've broken every joint in my hand, along with every knuckle, bone spurs everywhere, and my pinky finger is very slightly turned outwards from not having it set AFTER I played guitar for almost ten years. I now formed a bad habit of keeping my finger behind the neck completely while playing power chords because of it being set wrong. I constantly practice having it on the board resting, but I still resort to bad habits. Either way, I still play proficiently for the material I do, yet attempt to always find a solution to this. Hell when playing a scalloped board I still have trouble occasionally. By chance your playing on a scalloped board?
no, im currently learning a steel acoustic and a nylon classical guitar and there fret boards are shaped normally
Try justinguitar .com learn CAGED fingering system. Using Barre cords is lazy. If you are just starting out learn the correct way it will pay off in the end. Cheers