Starting work on second build. I enjoy looking at the pictures here, so I figured I'd contribute some more in what ways I could. Build will likely progress slowly.

Bodyshape started with the standard mockingbird in mind. Ziricote fretboard. Tuners and bridge are Gotoh from what I remember, as they were bought a few years ago. Truss rods the same way. Tusq 43mm nut, 25 inch scale length, GFS vintage 59 neck pickup and crunchy rails bridge.

Not sure on wiring yet. Neck through 5 piece. I plan on the whole thing being less then a half inch thick. Blue dye and likely lacquer finish, but I'll use poly if thats all I have.

Besides the fretboard, the wood is all something that I cut down and dried a few years back locally. It's a hardwood and I've never seen or heard of it used as a guitar wood on this site or in life experience. Real dense, should work fine.

Internet cookie for whomever guesses what it is !!!

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
"If I said you had a beautiful body, would you hold it against me?"
Quote by C/ruel
Neck through 5 piece. I plan on the whole thing being less then a half inch thick.
I assume you mean just the neck not including the fretboard?

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
looks great, looking forward to see this one come together
no idea what the wood is though, damn i wanted that cookie :/
is it just me or is the guitar super small? pickups look massive and the body looks miniature

edit: fretboard and bodywood look epic though
Dude, before you get started...scale the body size up a bit! The design looks bitchin tho!
Guitars:
LTD KH-602
LTD M-15
Schecter Hellraiser FR (for sale w/hsc, pm me.)
BC Rich Bronze WarCock
BC Rich Ironbird1
Tokai Voyager
Jackson JS30 Kelly
Vester: Metal flake gold/black crackle
Vester: rainbow crackle
Carvin V220
Quote by Absent Mind
I assume you mean just the neck not including the fretboard?

Yes indeed. Last guitar I made was nearly 3 inches thick and weighs a ton. Which is fine, but I wanted something different and always admired the blackmachine style guitars.

And I agree with you guys that the body is small. I didn't notice until the pick ups arrived. I'll scale it up before I do any cutting.

Guess my wood hint #1: I cut it down locally, and I live in the northern midwest of the United States.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Last edited by C/ruel at Jun 5, 2011,
Maple?

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Nope, it's neither oak nor maple, though we have both in abundance where I live. Today I planed down the neck (6 piece now) and cut it to rough size.

Whats my wood hint #2: The tree this wood comes from doesn't usually ever get a whole lot wider then the width of the logs you see in my earlier pictures.

Edit: Sorry for graininess. I'm having a hard time trying to get the figuring to pop as well as it does in real life.

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Last edited by C/ruel at Jun 5, 2011,
Scale up the body, yo.

...Cherry?
build 1, finished 1/15/11

Every time I try to pick it up like falling sand,
As fast as I pick it up,
it runs away through my clutching hands.
There's nothing else I can really do...
I used cherry on my last guitar . Not pine or birch either EDIT: Not aspen or cottonwood :P

Quote by Explorerbuilder
Cut it locally huh? how long has it dried? usually it takes 2-3 years air drying.

As per the thickness it was cut to while it was drying it would have required about 2 years. Due to the particularly oily nature of this wood it was kiln dried for a bit then left to sit for nearly four.

Time to figure out the pickup routing. I think I'll use an old vinyl for the pick guard.

Hint #3: This is one of the stronger woods that grow in north america. It's about as dense as oak.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Last edited by C/ruel at Jun 6, 2011,
Spent the night redoing the body concept to make it bigger and drawing in detail. Here's a picture of the final (for now) product!

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew