hey everyone

I have played the classic guitar for about a year now but i dnt like it that much. The thing is that i've always been into electric guitars...so i decided to get one this summer, i think i'll get it after 20 days

i went to a local guitar store that sells ibanez guitars...and i tried many,one of them was the XP300FX and i decided to do some research at home but unfortunately there aren't any reviews concerning this guitar.

Neck Type: 3 piece Maple Wizard II Neck
Body: Mahogany
Frets: Jumbo frets
Bridge: Fixed bridge
NeckPU: INF3
BridgePU: INF4

From my previous thread people said that its ugly and it has an unbelievable neck dive but i really dnt care because sound is the most important.
I just want ur opinions regarding the INF pickups in this guitar keeping in mind that i'll be playing metalcore and hardcore in the coming future (as i lay dying, all that remains,parkway drive....)

Cheers
Attachments:
r_00067068.jpg
Last edited by Steve 'O at Jun 5, 2011,
i dont know that much about ibanezs, but the sound really isnt the most important thing
if its difficult to play, and has a shite neck, then i would steer well clear and go for something with a nicer neck
the only way to know is to go in there and play it-much better than reading a review
i wouldn't buy it purely because of the awkward shape just because it may look 'cool' now doesn't mean it's convenient
Try before you buy. Sit down andplay with it. If i's awkward, don't buy.
The Wizard necks are thin and easy to play on.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Quote by joeramsay
i dont know that much about ibanezs, but the sound really isnt the most important thing
if its difficult to play, and has a shite neck, then i would steer well clear and go for something with a nicer neck
the only way to know is to go in there and play it-much better than reading a review

I actually played it and back then I didn't knw what a neck dive is but I didn't realize it being that heavy I just wanted to knw ur opinion and thnx for ur post
Quote by Steve 'O
I actually played it and back then I didn't knw what a neck dive is but I didn't realize it being that heavy I just wanted to knw ur opinion and thnx for ur post

Neck dive is when a guitar has a tendency to dive toward the floor when not being held. It happens a lot with more pointy shapes due to odd strap button placement because of the odd body shape. Its a problem, but can be avoided through precautions. I say if it feels and sounds good, go for it.
Quote by Woffelz
Try before you buy. Sit down andplay with it. If i's awkward, don't buy.
The Wizard necks are thin and easy to play on.

I've played it before at the store but the problem is I'm not experienced enough to knw what akward is or how will this guitar sound when I'm playing distortion ....
that's why I asked you people about the INFs
Quote by kharn_tb
Neck dive is when a guitar has a tendency to dive toward the floor when not being held. It happens a lot with more pointy shapes due to odd strap button placement because of the odd body shape. Its a problem, but can be avoided through precautions. I say if it feels and sounds good, go for it.

well said there mate... But do u knw anything about the INFs installed?
I don't despite just getting a new Ibby myself with a 3 and 4 in it, I'm still playing with my set up a bit especially with pick up height, just haven't had a huge amount of time to do so, and been playing unplugged a bit lately. My life situation makes it such that I can only do this stuff Wednesday-Saturdayish and it makes things like this only done on set days depending on what else I have to do. They are stocks so they won't be the best compared to something in a thousand dollar guitar, but I've found Ibby's stocks to not be too horrible (I've tried a lot)
I'd suggest any les paul or hss strat. you're not gonna be able to sit down with that guitar.
les pauls and hss strats are versatile soundwise, so they're a good shot anywhere

make yours special though, don't blend in with everyone else's
Usually shape's like that are very comfortable, being able to be played Horizontally, and between your legs with the necked raised while sitting down.
But if I were you I'd start off with a Stratocaster-style bodyshape, Hardtail guitar (No Vibrato system), and I wouldn't get a guitar with a reverse headstock. Its retarded.
Jumping over from Classical you'll be used to the more "Traditional" shape of the Stratocaster style shape, I suggest you stick to it until you buy your 2nd or so guitar.
And personally I think that Ibanez doesn't suit Metalcore, especiallly Hardcore music...
Well its all up to you I guess.
And neck dive is nothing. One of my guitars has neckdive, its only troubled me once.
When I had to walk home with it with to case while carrying a bicycle all the way home after I brought it. I nearly broke the guitar on a lamppost
Neck Dive will not affect you...
METAL!
I say go for it those are wonderful to sit with, I tried a few out my last few trips into various stores.
The guitar is fine and should serve you well but you'll need to upgrade pickups eventually as they're not that good.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Quote by Doadman
The guitar is fine and should serve you well but you'll need to upgrade pickups eventually as they're not that good.

No doubt...but I've heard that upgrading the pickups on let's say a "moderate guitar" for example to EMGs, the sound would change but not significantly which leaves u behind the option of buying a new guitar that already has EMGs... Is this true?
Quote by Steve 'O
No doubt...but I've heard that upgrading the pickups on let's say a "moderate guitar" for example to EMGs, the sound would change but not significantly which leaves u behind the option of buying a new guitar that already has EMGs... Is this true?

false
unless you get REALLY cheap pickups
when you upgrade yours you will love the sound
you want active or passive?``
Quote by fenderfreak100
false
unless you get REALLY cheap pickups
when you upgrade yours you will love the sound
you want active or passive?``

it's a little bit too early to talk about upgrading the pickups since I'm just a simple beginner
but what's the difference between active and passive pickups?
Quote by Steve 'O
it's a little bit too early to talk about upgrading the pickups since I'm just a simple beginner
but what's the difference between active and passive pickups?

active pickups take a bit more cash to put in
but they are battery driven to push the output of the pickup
which gives a more heavy metal tone
like children of bodom uses active

pantera is passive
If you prefer the guitar's feel to other guitars you tested, buy it. I think that feel is the most important thing.

I prefer passives to actives. I don't like it that with actives you can't get that overdrive sound. It's just distortion or clean. I like their distortion sound, though. (I don't know about EMGs but with the ones on Ibanez RGA72 they were like I said.) So I would suggest passives. And you don't need to change batteries.

BTW What kind of music will you start playing? Is it metal, rock or something else?
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by fenderfreak100
active pickups take a bit more cash to put in
but they are battery driven to push the output of the pickup
which gives a more heavy metal tone

pantera is passive

a good passive vs active vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lvAjNYevbw
i prefer passive
The INF pick ups are nothing special, but they get the job done, not as bad as a lot of people claim, but not very good either. I would personally steer away from the crazy shape as down the line you'll probably regret it, but ultimately that is your choice.

Also have you factored an Amp in to all of these things, cuz, what you really need is a new amp.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by MaggaraMarine
If you prefer the guitar's feel to other guitars you tested, buy it. I think that feel is the most important thing.

I prefer passives to actives. I don't like it that with actives you can't get that overdrive sound. It's just distortion or clean. I like their distortion sound, though. (I don't know about EMGs but with the ones on Ibanez RGA72 they were like I said.) So I would suggest passives. And you don't need to change batteries.

BTW What kind of music will you start playing? Is it metal, rock or something else?

metalcore (as I lay dying, parkway drive, all that remains, killswitch engage) power metal( children of bodom).....
Quote by ChemicalFire
The INF pick ups are nothing special, but they get the job done, not as bad as a lot of people claim, but not very good either. I would personally steer away from the crazy shape as down the line you'll probably regret it, but ultimately that is your choice.

Also have you factored an Amp in to all of these things, cuz, what you really need is a new amp.

I won't get the guitar before I take my time trying it, so regreting won't be an option
and concerning the amp I think I'll get a Marshall for 180$ or a Laney (between 150-200$)
If that Marshall is an MG, I'd stay as far away as humanly possible.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Answering your question.

Ibanez make some of the worst stock pickups I've ever come across. They're muddy, boomy, lack note definition and don't react well to playing dynamics.

Drop those pups outta your guitar like a hot potato.

That said, as a start, they still get the job done.

Quote by fenderfreak100

Actually... Alexi uses the EMG HZ which are the passive version of EMG's pups.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Jun 6, 2011,
Quote by Steve 'O
metalcore (as I lay dying, parkway drive, all that remains, killswitch engage) power metal( children of bodom).....

OK then actives could be your thing. They might work even better for you than passives.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by ragingkitty
Answering your question.

Ibanez make some of the worst stock pickups I've ever come across. They're muddy, boomy, lack note definition and don't react well to playing dynamics.

my mistake
it LOOKs active
http://www.guitarcenter.com/ESP-LTD-Alexi-200-Alexi-Laiho-Signature-Series-Electric-Guitar-105316533-i1401569.gc
Quote by ragingkitty
Answering your question.

I dnt think that the pickups are that bad
this guitar has the exact same features as the RG321 MH and I was watching a cover on YouTube for the song "a place for my head-linkin park " and the guy had this RG and with a vox amp and I think a Boss the sound was perfect .
If u had the time to check it out : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ena35XNx-FM

and btw if u had to compared this Ibanez that I'm looking forward to get with a schecter( omen 6) like the one u were advising to "stevepredator" in another thread which would you find more appropriate for metalcore?
Thnx in advance
Quote by ragingkitty
Answering your question.

+1

the stock ibby pickups (that i've tried) are pretty much garbage. there's the odd higher model which also has ibby own-brand pickups, and they may be better, but certainly up to and even including the cheapest MIJ prestiges (with the v7/s1/v8 set), the pickups are mediocre at best, imo.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
+1

the stock ibby pickups (that i've tried) are pretty much garbage. there's the odd higher model which also has ibby own-brand pickups, and they may be better, but certainly up to and even including the cheapest MIJ prestiges (with the v7/s1/v8 set), the pickups are mediocre at best, imo.

This is going to be my first electric guitar give me a break dude... i dnt want it to be the best.. i just want it to sound good
Quote by Steve 'O
This is going to be my first electric guitar give me a break dude... i dnt want it to be the best.. i just want it to sound good

Like we said, its not bad... just that once you hear aftermarket pups, you'll be trying to get rid of that muddiness from your RG's tone.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
you asked for opinions, we gave them. we're not trying to give you a hard time or anything like that, just providing the info which was asked for.

Would you rather we lie?

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well, as you can tell, rk despises stock Ibanez p'ups with a passion bordering on obsession, and given what she plays instead, I expect it's justified.

But.....

I kinda like 'em. And the XPT body is, for me at least, incredibly comfortable. (Although the tips are a bit fragile.)

If YOU like the feel of the guitar and the way that it sounds, get it. It's not like it's a life-changing decision.
Quote by ragingkitty
Like we said, its not bad... just that once you hear aftermarket pups, you'll be trying to get rid of that muddiness from your RG's tone.

I knw about aftermarket pups... but im on a tight budget, all i can spend on a guitar alone is 500$ ( guitars in my country are usually 100 to even 300$ more expensive than other countries).Plus, a pair of EMGs will cost me about 300$.
So i think i should stick to a fairly good guitar for practice till i can afford a "decent" guitar.
Quote by Arby911
Well, as you can tell, rk despises stock Ibanez p'ups with a passion bordering on obsession, and given what she plays instead, I expect it's justified.

But.....

I kinda like 'em. And the XPT body is, for me at least, incredibly comfortable. (Although the tips are a bit fragile.)

If YOU like the feel of the guitar and the way that it sounds, get it. It's not like it's a life-changing decision.

totally agree