Guys I need help.... Did people like Jason Becker and Yngwie Malmsteen use metronomes and should I? I know guys like John Petrucci and Buckethead did and there playing is super-clean. But thats not really my aim, I just need the technique so i can play anything that comes to mind. So do you guys think its best to use a Metronome and lose out on a lot of actual playing time or be patient and progress in technique using xhromatic scaes and possibly getting bored?
I use a metronome, but I personally think it's fun hearing my playing improve. If you feel you're wasting your time, don't bother doing it.
Why not use the metronome for playing "real" music, the metronome is not just for exercises you know..
And yes, you should use one. A metronome that is.
You'll Never Walk Alone!
Thanks guys Im not a shred-head I've been trying to get my technique up for faster music eg Jazz and some rock/metal not really into neo-classical approach. Nah i dont use one yet but i was thinking about using one. So for example how would i fit an 13 note pattern into a metronome would i have to play all 13 notes between each click?
Quote by Muffinz
Why not use the metronome for playing "real" music, the metronome is not just for exercises you know..
And yes, you should use one. A metronome that is.

Yes I know i put the metronome in bold lol
You should always use a metronome, its even good for doing your scales. You might think your playing a song or scales fine and evenly, but the second you start that metronome you'll see how bad your actually playing

EDIT: 13 notes between one click? good luck, I think you need to learn how to use one first. If your playing a song in 4/4 then 4 "clicks" equal one measure (so if that measure consists of only 4 quarter notes, you would be playing on the click and so on)
Last edited by sar8777 at Jun 5, 2011,
Nah. I just for example if i have a simple pattern which contains 13 note. How do you use a metronome to practice that. Because using the standard 4/4 is uneven to the 13 notes
you can have 12 16th notes and one quater note then you have 13 notes in one bar
Quote by Voodoo13
Nah. I just for example if i have a simple pattern which contains 13 note. How do you use a metronome to practice that. Because using the standard 4/4 is uneven to the 13 notes

What about the upstroke? If one of those note pairs is eighth notes, doesn't that give you 13 notes?
Quote by theknuckster
Set the metronome to a very very slow beat, and play all thirteen notes every beat. Paul Gilbert does this a lot (I'll try to find a video).

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bo1UOcUUT7s
Set your metronome to how he taps his foot, that kind of thing.

Thanks man.
So what you guys speed atm?
Quote by Voodoo13
Thanks man.
So what you guys speed atm?

A metronome isn't a speedometer. It's a tool to keep a steady beat for you, that's all - don't get yourself caught up in all that rubbish of thinking it's some kind of gauge to measure your ability.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Sorry just wanted to know if ive even improved by using a metronome at all.
My rhythme should be fine beause I played drums for 2 years and I rarely see hear myslef playing out of time ( I record ) so that wasn't my reason for using a metronome so that was actually the questions i wanted to ask.
Quote by Voodoo13
Sorry just wanted to know if ive even improved by using a metronome at all.

The only person who's going to know that is you though, knowing what other people can do won't change that at all.

Quote by Voodoo13
My rhythme should be fine beause I played drums for 2 years and I rarely see hear myslef playing out of time ( I record ) so that wasn't my reason for using a metronome so that was actually the questions i wanted to ask.

I've said this in other threads but: if you want to learn something then you should probably have something external to yourself keeping time, you don't want to add the process of keeping time to the already hard process of learning something new.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Jun 5, 2011,
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
The only person who's going to know that is you though, knowing what other people can do won't change that at all.

I've said this in other threads but: if you want to learn something then you should probably have something external to yourself keeping time, you don't want to add the process of keeping time to the already hard process of learning something new.

Then I would see the average/ range of all these players and see if mine is relatively low/ high or around the same regardles sof how long they've been playing.
Quote by Voodoo13
Then I would see the average/ range of all these players and see if mine is relatively low/ high or around the same regardles sof how long they've been playing.

And it would neither matter nor make any difference. You'd either end up with an undeserved ego because you're "doing relatively well" or you'd be disheartened because you're "not up to par" when actually no one cares.

Keep playing and practicing and ignore what everyone else does, it's not like they matter anyway.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
And it would neither matter nor make any difference. You'd either end up with an undeserved ego because you're "doing relatively well" or you'd be disheartened because you're "not up to par" when actually no one cares.

Keep playing and practicing and ignore what everyone else does, it's not like they matter anyway.

Thanks good advice!
If you've played drums then just record a loop or program a loop with some free drum machine software and use that instead.. probably more fun than a metronome-- though it will probably influence the style being played.