Page 1 of 3
A simple enough question, why do you play the guitar?
Is it for musical expression?
Is it because someone you know does?
Do you want to be in a band and record albums and tour the world?
Is it to just pick up chicks?

I play the guitar for stress management. When I was younger I wanted to join a band and go on stadium tours around the world (thanks to the 80's and 90's hard rock acts).
Now I'm a bit older, I use the guitar to unwind after a days office work.

But I'm thinking now that I might complete all my graded exams, and possibly look at a guitar-teaching future.

I really like the idea of music theory and all guitar techniques, but as I'm approaching 40 my goals have changed from the band-type dream to more practical uses.

So why do play this cursed instrument that we all love?
Well at present similar reasons to you

I initially wanted to play bass, as a bunch of my friends wanted to start a band, and they needed a bassist....
But my parents persuaded me to go with guitar THEN learn bass...3.5 years later I still don't own a bass

It's a good way to get rid of stress, allows me to meet new people+make new friends
I have played in a band and it is pretty good fun...when our practices melt down to a simple hour of banter

Initially I thought it would help pick up chicks...but it did nothing of the sort, allowed me to meet new people, but it didn't improve my success with women XD
I primarily use it to relieve stress. It always works to make a bad day better.

I also enjoy entertaining people, and I've met a lot of new people because they knew I played music and wanted me to sing a song for them.
I cant remember why I wanted to play guitar, i suppose just because my brother did and it was cool. So my bother gave me his old squire strat and I started to just play that. I never had any lessons, I just had to google it and work it all out from that and that is how I learnt for the last 4 or 5 years. HOWEVER, I never actually played guitar properly until about a month or 2 ago. For the 4 years (roughly) I played guitar, i Simply just picked it up once a week or so and played a few riffs... But in the last month or so I have started to get more into and Learning theory and Its now addiciting..

I now play guitar simply because its so addictive. Once you can improvise yourself as well as just read and learn a tab very quickly, you get addicted. its fun to play guitar and learn new things on it!
Why do I play guitar?

To be entirely honest, when I was around 12 I started listening to In Flames and Slipknot. Then I heard Dragonforce for the first time and I thought "I wonder if I could ever be in a band like that?" Playing guitar got me in to going to gigs, i made loads of new friends and I actually had a proper hobby for the first time. It completely changed me and how i interperet the world . Sounds deep I know, but imagine what would you be doing if you didnt play guitar?

Needless to say, a 12yo budget is not very big, so I played my sister's 5yo £100 Strat. Then once my parents knew that i was being serious about learning and that it was just a phase they bought me £170 Ibanez Gio - Not the best in the world but better than most cheap guitars. And of course a SpiderIII 15watt.

Now that was like 4 years ago and I've self-taught my self the whole way, and it has been way quicker and easier than lessons would have been. However im still on my tiny budget so still play my Ibanez.

You really dont need to pay for expensive lessons just have the drive and enthusiasm to be good at something other than playing xbox or something :L And you're right about the girls liking guitarist :P
My dad showed me some chords and a couple of old blues songs on an old acoustic when I was a kid and a few years later some mates offered me a position on bass in their new band so i left high school and did that for a year or something I think then returned to the guitar electric this time round and never looked back since in my spare time I enjoy playing to my favorite songs ae and quite recently found the joys of songwriting which is pretty mean
Because I figured in the 0.5-1h a day I played guitar hero, I could learn the real thing and quit wasting time on something not actually productive. Now I play so I can play my favorite songs and write a few eventually. also my best friend plays so naturally I wanna be better then him. :P
f***, playing breakdowns is the most amazing thing, and watching people fliptit in the mosh pit is an incredible feeling.
Because I have an obession with music and and a creative mind that, if I didn't play an instrument, would probably cause me to explode if I didn't have anything to get all the ideas out.

...and because it's a lot of fun
Because of sheer boredom, working life can be pretty tedious, and the TV these days is total crap.

I love music and guitars. So I spend as much time as I can trying to play music. It's a big stress reliever and it gives me a sense of achievement and pride when I go from not being able to play something, then being able to play it a while later. Being able to actually play some of the songs that give me a buzz is a great feeling.
this is a good thread.
I play guitar because it's cool and I love it. It makes me so happy and I get so much enjoyment out of playing the same songs from my favourtite bands. I always wanted to learn guitar but never did as thought 'what's the point'. Last year I had some serious health problems and nearly lost my life. When I get better the first thing I thought was I want to learn the guitar and I did. Self taught myself. No real aspirations to be the best or be in a band. Just do it for my own personal gain and have fun .x
You're all gonna flame the shit out of me when I tell you this...
So I bought an Xbox 360 and played A LOT of guitar hero. After playing for hundreds of hours I couldnt help starting to like the music. I was more into electronic music before that, but GH made me change my music taste. Then one day, disaster! Red Ring of Death. No more Guitar Hero. So I thought, "Hell. If I cant play my plastic guitar any longer, might aswell get a real one!" So I did. At first I didnt play a lot, the first entire year I was very unfocused and didnt learn shit. But now, for the last half year Ive started getting more serious and playing a lot more, also because Im better now and can actually play entire songs. When Im good enough I hope I can find a band to play with, just for fun.

tl;dr. When Xbox broke and I couldnt play Guitar Hero, I started playing a real guitar. And Ive continued playing because I like the music I play. Also, the calluses on my fingertips are great for scratching an itchy spot.
Ibanez RG1570Z w/ BKP Holy Divers
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 /w Guitar Rig 5
Stupid clumsy fingers
There's a lot of responses here I can relate to.
I enjoy the guitar. Sure it's frustrating as hell sometimes, but I miss it if I don't get to plink away often enough.
Keep the responses coming, I'm enjoying what people are having to say.
i play guitar because i get everything i could possbly want/need out of it.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
for the babes.

is there really any other reason to do anything but breathe and eat? srsly?
It's fun. A nice hobby. And thanks to it I have discovered a lot of awesome music.

Oh, and I also love to jam with my band.
I have no sig
It calms me down when I'm upset, and I enjoy it because I hope to do it for a living one day. Plus, I guess you could say I get lost in the moment when I'm playing guitar, and escape to some far off place where everything is alright. Sounds kind of stupid, I know, but it's true.
This may sound cliché, but I live to play guitar. Recently, I have been going through some very dark times in my life, and I honestly do not know where I would be right now if not for guitar and music. I don't mean to sound emo or anything, but at times guitar is the only thing that keeps me going day after day. Playing music is not only calming to me, but it just gives me a surreal feeling which simply cannot be described and must be experienced. Guitar brings me the closest thing to happiness that I can achieve right now, and it has given me a drive to persevere and improve my playing day after day.

When I use my guitar to write music, I feel like I can channel my emotions into the music I create, and if I am in pain, it is temporarily eased. I feel like if others can understand my music, they can understand my feelings.

So that is why I play guitar.

Edit:
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
f***, playing breakdowns is the most amazing thing, and watching people fliptit in the mosh pit is an incredible feeling.

Please tell me this is a joke
Quote by wolvenrick
I think black doom death metal is just plain stupid. go flame on me but i can't hear nothing but shit on those songs with everything in drop A or below. also it could've been without lyrics as you'd never hear them anyway.
Last edited by chrisg7 at Jun 5, 2011,
When i first heard the Fungus Amongus album by incubus that's when i decided that i wanted to play guitar and also because it makes me happy it's one of the few things i actually enjoy doing.
Last edited by Sterling MDG at Jun 5, 2011,
Learning how to play the guitar is way better than my day job and it keeps my old brain from getting too rusty.

Plus, it is safer [for me] than riding/crashing motorcycles.
Quote by Danjo's Guitar
If you can play guitar more easily while standing on your head and spinning, then go ahead, even if its not what everyone else does.

i guess i liked the fact that emotions could be created with basically wood and strings. the fact that a couple noises can define so much in life is amazing. i just wanted to be a part of it.

also nothing cooler then plugging into a marshall stack and shredding into oblivion. i am a gay douche
Quote by Bastyn99
You're all gonna flame the shit out of me when I tell you this...
So I bought an Xbox 360 and played A LOT of guitar hero. After playing for hundreds of hours I couldnt help starting to like the music. I was more into electronic music before that, but GH made me change my music taste. Then one day, disaster! Red Ring of Death. No more Guitar Hero. So I thought, "Hell. If I cant play my plastic guitar any longer, might as well get a real one!" So I did. At first I didnt play a lot, the first entire year I was very unfcused and didnt learn shit. But now, for the last half year Ive started getting more serious and playing a lot more, also because Im better now and can actually play entire songs. When Im good enough I hope I can find a band to play with, just for fun.

tl;dr. When Xbox broke and I couldnt play Guitar Hero, I started playing a real guitar. And Ive continued playing because I like the music I play. Also, the calluses on my fingertips are great for scratching an itchy spot.

Believe it or not that is basically the exact same reason i picked up the electric, not the RROD on my Xbox, but because i spent so much time playing GH/RB that one year i asked the rents for a starter kit, got it the following christmas, didnt do jack sht with it for around a year and a half 'til i found someone to jam with, once that happened i basically got hooked afterwards.
Current Playing Gear:
Johnson DeQ 2 Distortion Pedal
Peavey ValveKing 1x12 50W Tube Combo
Cool Cat Chorus Pedal
Schecter Hellraiser Solo-6
Ibanez Tube Screamer
Ernie Ball Wah Pedal
I just started finding out about guitar players and listening to their music. I am really into metal so I found out about some great players, and it really got me thinking that I should play an instrument and learn something. Guitar gives me a sense of accomplishment and I'm in a different world when I play. I feel like I am somewhere else, it's hard to explain. I tried to learn piano but I didn't stick with it. But as soon as I got into guitar, I knew it was a great choice as a hobby because I love metal music and to gain a skill from learning something feels good.
I feel happy and satisfied when I start playing my favourite licks and riffs.
Because I like writing my own stuff, because the new stuff is horrible. Honestly, do you REALLY play JUST for chicks? Music was ruined because everyones penis wrote the song.
It gives me musical expression. But not like "Oohhhhh I feel all better because I wrote a song about it." The songs are kind of a whiteboard to write how I feel. And the person could be sitting listening to what i'm singing without getting a hint at what I feel about them. There are many reasons, but that's a main one.

Other ones:
- Love of music
- Bored, so I'll learn a cover or something
- I just feel a natural calling to guitar.
Quote by dkeenan
Because I like writing my own stuff, because the new stuff is horrible. Honestly, do you REALLY play JUST for chicks? Music was ruined because everyones penis wrote the song.

Sorry for double posting but..

you just made the best analogy i've ever heard

congrats
Get them to love you, while they may depending on your words and wealth, the only one who's really judging you is yourself, nobody else.

Any and all posts by this user are fictional and for entertainment purposes only
Expression
Everybody Dies
Ignorance is NOT just what you DO NOT know but what you WILL NOT know

MY Soundcloud
Tears for toda la alegría que teníamos
Tears for todo el dolor
Las lágrimas de invierno que llevan dentro
Siempre gritar tu nombre
Estas lágrimas de invierno , voy a llorar por ti
Estas lágrimas de invierno , son solamente para usted
It's to pick up chicks, its so I can join a band, make a killer debeut Metal Album with the last track being a 14 minute long epic, and become a moderately famous and respected metal guitarist that mainstream media has never heard of.
Also, its to pickup the slightly weird chicks who listen to hardcore music in my grade at school.
Melodic Death Metal is universally loved by everyone. Even the Hardcore emo kids.
METAL!
For me, guitar seems to be like an outlet of my current emotion. I love chugging with good ol Drop D power chords, but then if I'm feeling a little more mellow I'll attempt to jam to some post-rock by myself.

I also like learning new things and trying to look at different perspectives, and with scales, chords, and playing (not very well) with my school jazz band, a Seether-esque band, and a prog-gy sort of band, I just learn different ways of playing the instrument. But its a "jack of all trades, master of none" kind of deal.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
1. Fun.
2. I enjoy making music.
3. It relieves a hell of a lot of stress.
4. I need something to do, and it looks cool.
5. Being an entertainer has been a dream since I was little. Doesn't seem like it'd hurt that dream to know how to play an instrument well.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Because it's fun, also relieves some stress sometimes.

EDIT: ^Yeah, pretty much that.
Last edited by micromountain37 at Jun 5, 2011,
Page 1 of 3