I've been playing guitar for about 2-3 years now and I really love it. But I've noticed that after playing for a while my wrist cramps up really bad where I have to take a break in the mid song.. and it's really annoying.. I was diagnosed with carpal tunnel syndrome about 2 years ago and had to wear a brace for a while but I mean, it doesn't hurt any other time except when I'm playing guitar so I don't think I have it again.. and if I do, it couldn't possibly be bad enough to go to the doctor, so I don't see the need in worrying about it. Am I holding my hand wrong possibly? Is there any way to reduce the stress on my wrist while I'm playing? Any advice on this matter will be GREATLY appreciated because my friend really wants me in his band but I just don't see how it could work out until I get this problem straightened out. Thanks a bunch everyone! :]

here's a couple pictures of how my hand is usually positioned while i'm playing just in case it may help identify the problem:

http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv39/stegosawrus/2011-06-0323-15-27128.jpg

http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv39/stegosawrus/2011-06-0323-15-37181.jpg
It looks like you're bending your wrist quite a lot. It gets painful for me if I play like that for a while too. Generally the straighter you keep it the less strain you'll cause yourself, so try moving the guitar so the neck is pointing upwards a bit. Try experimenting with your posture too, just see what works for you.
Your forearm and back of your hand should form a straight line so that your wrist isn't bent at all. Only your fingers should curl over the frets. It's difficult and I still have trouble with certain finger positions but with practice it's a lot less painful. Also, I find that it has solved some problems with muting high strings accidentally.

Edit: As the first reply says, you might have to change your guitar position.. change the strap length so that the neck is at the right height for your elbow to be at a 90 degree (or smaller) angle and angle it up somewhat. You won't be able to do any of that 'cool' stuff with the guitar scraping the floor between your legs though.
Last edited by Vixus at Jun 5, 2011,
Quote by captainsnazz
It looks like you're bending your wrist quite a lot. It gets painful for me if I play like that for a while too. Generally the straighter you keep it the less strain you'll cause yourself, so try moving the guitar so the neck is pointing upwards a bit. Try experimenting with your posture too, just see what works for you.

thanks ^_^ i'll try it out
I play a lot of guitar and I also spend time every week lifting dumbbells and barbells as well as doing push ups. This puts a TON of stress on my wrists and hands. I would strongly suggest stretching your fingers, hands and wrists AND warming up with scales before you play. It takes ten minutes but it means you can play for a lot longer.
Quote by Vixus
Your forearm and back of your hand should form a straight line so that your wrist isn't bent at all. Only your fingers should curl over the frets. It's difficult and I still have trouble with certain finger positions but with practice it's a lot less painful. Also, I find that it has solved some problems with muting high strings accidentally.

Edit: As the first reply says, you might have to change your guitar position.. change the strap length so that the neck is at the right height for your elbow to be at a 90 degree (or smaller) angle and angle it up somewhat. You won't be able to do any of that 'cool' stuff with the guitar scraping the floor between your legs though.

Wow thanks a bunch man. I think that'll help me alot. But now what about when I' sitting down? Does the same thing apply?
Quote by TurboPubx16
I play a lot of guitar and I also spend time every week lifting dumbbells and barbells as well as doing push ups. This puts a TON of stress on my wrists and hands. I would strongly suggest stretching your fingers, hands and wrists AND warming up with scales before you play. It takes ten minutes but it means you can play for a lot longer.

yeah, i usually try to warm up my hands a bit before i play. it usually helps me quite a bit. thanks for the input!
Quote by benn913
Also, I would say just staying relaxed would help

yeah, i do tend to get a bit tense when i'm nervous. thanks for posting. ^_^
Quote by VintageMystery
Wow thanks a bunch man. I think that'll help me alot. But now what about when I' sitting down? Does the same thing apply?

Well yeah.. ideally you want your guitar in the same position when both sitting down and standing up. At first this'll probably seem like the guitar is too high and quite 'uncool' but you can slowly lower it as you get more used to the position for performances and such.

Also you can put all your replies in one post