Decided to splash some cash on some kit. The results are as follows:

First off a Yamaha Clavinova CLP920. I don't play piano but have always wanted to learn and managed to pick this up quite cheaply on the used market. It needs a decent clean as it clearly hasn't been used (parent bought it for kid(s) to learn on and they never got into it).

The weighting of the keys is decent for a digital, and the grand piano sound is good. The others are pretty poor but fun to play around with. It's quite simple and fun to tinker around on, even if I'm pants.

Even just having it a day has helped develop my music knowledge. I've just started to sit down and properly learn theory and being at the piano has actually made me think about notes/chords/scales in a way which guitar doesn't (you can't seem to get away with learning shapes/picking stuff up from pieces you know as you can with guitar).

Tascam 414 Portastudio

I had a quick record on this last night and was surprised by how good it sounds. I've ordered a digital Tascam recorder but have always wanted these for that sound of tape compression that you don't get on digital. John Frusciante recorded Niandra Lades/Smile from the Streets on one of these I believe.

Easy to use and owned from new by a really nice old man. The thing has been kept very well for something so old. He also threw in a USB cable which means I can send stuff to my mac.

EDIT: apologies for the photo being upside down.

Ceriatone Vibro Champ Clone

Picked this up off eBay for a silly price. When I picked it up the guy said his friends were telling him he was mad for selling it. For the price he did I think he might be.

The cabinet he had built is really big for the amp and I think I might get another one made - smaller and tweed.

I also don't like the speaker that the guy's put in there. It's some Eminence speaker from a Yamaha something or other. I'll be swapping it out soon, perhaps for a 10" speaker so it's a bit punchier. I'll be doing something different when I revalve this as well.

His soldering seems neat enough. He was quite old and said he had a decent amount of doing this stuff so it was alright.

It sounds great cranked - save for the fact I think the speaker's quite average. It's not too loud - in fact it's very quiet at low volumes. I wasn't sure if there was something wrong here. There's also a fair amount of headroom. It breaks up at about '6.5'.

Either way I'm pleased with it and think it will be a good replacement for the AC4 that I'm selling.
Last edited by Duv at Jun 5, 2011,
dont belive you explained the custom amp head in the middle pictures
biggest vibro champ clone on earth.

it's damn near the size of a super reverb.

very cool stuff! congrats!
I like your mic stand

HNSD
Epiphone Dot Cherry red
Fender Standard Stratocaster black 1980s model
Epiphone EJ-200CE Natural
Telecaster Fender custom
Roland Micro Cube
Fender Hot Rod DeVille
orange tiny terror
88 ivories on that thing?
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Piano has 88 keys yeh. Now just got to learn to play the damn thing. Haven't had to employ sight reading for donkeys years!

Vibro champ definitely a lot better than the AC4. AC4 breaks up very early compared to this and doesn't maintain nearly as much clarity on doing so. This also takes pedals a lot better and the fact that it has proper EQ and tremolo is an advantage. Only downside is the cabinet this bloke put in is just far too big.

An added bonus of this thing is that he's fitted a microphone into the back so you could technically plug your PA or whatever else straight into this rather than micing the amp up. I've not given it a whirl yet and I'm not expecting great things but there you go.

As for the micstand it was inspired by that Greg guy who does the youtube vids. It works very well!
sweet
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Duv
Piano has 88 keys yeh. Now just got to learn to play the damn thing. Haven't had to employ sight reading for donkeys years!

88 keys is only keys.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by Duv
Does anyone happen to know a decent UK based enclosure builder. Someone who could do me a more Champ-like enclosure for a good price?

Would save me building one myself...

i've found decent enclosures on ebay, can't say for the UK but i would think so.

also maybe fane?
mjw/martamp? never used him myself but he has a good rep, i think.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?