I want to clean te fretboard of my guitar (it's an Ibanez RG1570z), but does someone know how to do that?
Is it good to use water? Or a soft cloth, with water on it?

My guitar
DO NOT USE WATER!!! take a terry cloth and rub down each fret dry. Then get some fret cleaner like Dunlop 65 ( http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dunlop-Fretboard-65-Ultimate-Lemon-Oil?sku=425264 ) or Kyser Dr. Strigfellow ( http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Kyser-Dr.-Stringfellow-String-Cleaner-and-Lubricant?sku=421901 ) and spray it on the cloth and rub it down. Lemon oil works well too. Make sure you rub it down dry first otherwise the polish will just lock that dirt into your fretboard. Good Luck Playing Mate!
you can get some lemon oil in a bottle for about a fiver, just put alitle on spread it all over the fretboard, leave it for about five minutes then wipe of with a dry cloth.

and daont use water, a friend tried cleaning with water and got some on the pickup and killed it
Quote by Sjoerd2497
Ok why no water?

You allready used water didnt you lol
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Water will ruin the wood, it isn't treated to handle water like your average back porch deck. If you put water on your fret board, or any part of your guitar for that matter, your guitar will not last long
ESP Eclipse Standard Series W/ PRS Santana II Pickups
PRS SE Soapbar II
Peavey 5150 120w Head
Avatar 412 Traditional Cab(v30's+G12H30's)
Malekko, Rocktron, T-Rex and MXR/Dunlop pedals
Quote by slipknot_420
You allready used water didnt you lol

Maybe. Not much I made a soft cloth a little bit wet. Is that bad? After it I used a dry soft cloth over it.
And if you used to much (I don't say I did), what would change? To tone of the guitar? The length of the tones?
Using a little water to get your fretboard clean isn't a problem. The fretboard has been probably been treated with oil which keeps water out of the wood to begin with. Just don't scrub it with soap or let water soak in. That said, next time just rub the fretboard down with a little bit of oil on a paper towel or a rag and then wipe it dry.
Good lord people are acting like if you wipe down wood with a damp cloth it will turn into a pretzel knot in front of your eyes...

It's not the recommended treatment, but it won't destroy your guitar, and it's better to just oil it instead.
Dunlop 65 maintenance is all you need. If you get the complete kit it comes with a really nice fret polish and super light grit cloth and then lemon oil to clean and treat the rosewood.
One more thing, the neck is made of maple, I've read that water can't do anything to that, or is that not true? (I'm not going to use water however, I just want to know.
Quote by Sjoerd2497
One more thing, the neck is made of maple, I've read that water can't do anything to that, or is that not true? (I'm not going to use water however, I just want to know.

Water will do something to ANY wood. I suggest you reading FAQ section of the Music Man's web page
Misha

Music Man Axis Super Sport
Diezel Einstein 100, Sparrow's Sons 2X12
One more question: if the water gets into the neck, will it change the sound of the guitar a bit?
Quote by Sjoerd2497
One more question: if the water gets into the neck, will it change the sound of the guitar a bit?

Depends how much water. If you keep the neck moist for too long the wood will expand and warp the fretboard or neck which could damage your guitar in a way that will make it unplayable.

That's a worst case though, that takes a while or a lot of water, you should be ok if you've only done it once or twice but really you want to keep your guitar away from water as a rule.

As for tone... it might but I don't think it would make an audible difference unless you're either Eric Johnson or you've used enough water to damage the instrument.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Maple fretboards are often lacquered, which makes most nourishing oils completely useless because they're meant to seep into the wood grain. That won't happen if the wood grain is covered by lacquer.
That said you can still clean your guitar with a bit of Dunlop 65. Just don't use the lemon oil because as I've heard it damages lacquered surfaces.

Using a slightly damp cloth once will not hurt much, making a habit out of it can make the neck bend though. And whatever you do, don't use soap. Last time I saw someone use handsoap his guitar neck was utterly f*cked afterwards.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Quote by Pac_man0123
Good lord people are acting like if you wipe down wood with a damp cloth it will turn into a pretzel knot in front of your eyes...

It's not the recommended treatment, but it won't destroy your guitar, and it's better to just oil it instead.

+1
Water does tend to push oil out of the wood. And oil will push water out too. Use water if you want (I do when the mess is bad) but finish with oil.
Quote by Sjoerd2497

Way worse than changing the tone is that it can change the size and shape of the wood. It doesnt take a lot of warping to extract all the fun from a guitar.