so yet another year passed without my picking getting ANY better. this is absolutely ridiculous! i cant understand what im doing wrong...extremely discouraging
i practice really hard, and seeing 0 result in 1 f**kin year rly pisses me the hell off.
im stuck at my 140bpm for 16th notes, anything over that and it bcomes sloppy.
Sooo many questions i need to ask

should i make a video of how exactly i practice?

in different levels of picking, should i practice in different ways?
i mean when first beginning alt picking, its obvious to practice slowly to get the motion down, but when at a decent level of being able to play at 140bpm, is practicing slowly really the key to reaching fast speeds?

the way i practice now is the "raise the bpm" way
i practiced with triplets 150bpm, when all the excercises (different difficulites) were absolutely clean, i raised it to 160bpm. and am currently at 160...should I continue like this? it's rly frustrating playing all the same excercises over and over and over and over again every day for 1-2 hours, so i need to be sure if this is the way to go.

sorry if this is all whiney, but today while practicign i got really confused and discouraged and i just need to knowwww :x

Thank you
ah you have hit the plateau stage or rather one of them what i would do in your position is pick a song you like that is out of ur ability to play currently not way ahead but a bit out of it and that has the techniques you want to improve and then learn it and get it to speed and do your other exorcises as well this should help break the plateau and have you jump up another level
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
should i start practicing ridiculously hard excercises?
when practicing a song with alt picking, i usually get stuck right at the 140bpm marker. so how do i get it faster from there?!
keep practicing the part that you can't play faster at 140 until you make no mistakes, and then move up 5 beats so that now you're playing 145. Keep doing that until you can play faster than you want and you should be good
Quote by karurosu
keep practicing the part that you can't play faster at 140 until you make no mistakes, and then move up 5 beats so that now you're playing 145. Keep doing that until you can play faster than you want and you should be good

should i also practice exercises this way? or just the song im learning, keeping the exercises still at my little 160bpm (for triplets) ?
id play where comfortable and move it up till your comfortable playing the parts at any speed so basically go to the temp where you start to be uncomfortable with it
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
I'd say play anything you have difficulties that way. By playing where you're comfortable and move up slightly, you're slowly playing it faster. That's the way I practice fast licks, but it's up to you. Just make sure to have a lot of patience lol
I'm in a similar position, struggling with alternate picking. I'd be happy if I could pick 16th notes at 140. I can do them at 105 right now, and my goal is to reach 140-160 in a year.