Hey guys! I just found a sweet deal on a 5150 amp head in my area and I'm going to be checking it out either today or tomorrow. The only problem with it is that the power cable is a little bit torn. It still works and sounds great, according to the owner, but I'd still like to get the cable fixed before I start gigging.

Here's the head

And here's the problem. I just wanna know if this would be an easy soldering fix or if I'd have to do more than that.
Quote by Chaz-6(sic)6
Hmm...May 27th to May 20th? Either you meant 30th or you're some kind of time traveler.

Choose your steel. Be the hero or die the fool.
Just face me on this burning bridge and show me
which side you choose.

>>Listen to my metulz!<<
ooooh thats a big hazard... its more than just a soldering problem, you'll have to install a whole new power cable, which could be very difficult
whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Quote by EJD
Reminds me of that drunkard who ran out of beer... he was so desperate, he drank furniture polish.

He came to a horrible end... but a beautiful finish.
Yea thats a simple fix, you will have to remove the amp take out the old power cord and install the new one, its simple if you know what your doing, probly cost around $50 bucks for a techy to do it not including the new cabe so.
But its a must fix too its dangerous the way it is now.
What kind of deal did you get on it??
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Last edited by slipknot_420 at Jun 5, 2011,
Quote by matt360
ooooh thats a big hazard... its more than just a soldering problem, you'll have to install a whole new power cable, which could be very difficult

Would it be expensive? D:

@slipknot420: 500 dollars for it. I just ordered a 6505 from guitar center but if this one can be fixed, then I'm gonna cancel the order for the 6505
Quote by Chaz-6(sic)6
Hmm...May 27th to May 20th? Either you meant 30th or you're some kind of time traveler.

which side you choose.

>>Listen to my metulz!<<
Quote by xlRainlx
Would it be expensive? D:

@slipknot420: 500 dollars for it. I just ordered a 6505 from guitar center but if this one can be fixed, then I'm gonna cancel the order for the 6505

Thats not a bad deal but if your gong to have to put money into it to fix it it could turn into a bad deal fast lol, id personnaly have him open the amp up to make sure theres no other abuse though. Or just cruise for another one thats not damaged they pop up frequently on ebay for this price.
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Quote by slipknot_420
Thats not a bad deal but if your gong to have to put money into it to fix it it could turn into a bad deal fast lol, id personnaly have him open the amp up to make sure theres no other abuse though. Or just cruise for another one thats not damaged they pop up frequently on ebay for this price.

Well it's actually on craigslist and the owner said the tubes were in great shape, etc. He said, "the ONLY problem is the cable." And since I'd know where he'd live, I doubt he would lie to me XD

@GS LEAD: I have no idea. Is it NOT supposed to be like that?
Quote by Chaz-6(sic)6

which side you choose.

>>Listen to my metulz!<<
Yea after thinking about it id personally not buy it, its your decision but id keep looking ive seen mint 5150 heads go for $600 just recently.
Or at least talk him down id start at $350 just to see wat he says he might go for it, then go up but I wouldnt pay more than $400 for it.
Theres 1 on ebay right now with 4 hours left at $575 check it out
Theres also a 6505 with a custom grill for $650 buy it now thats a pretty good deal.
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
And some pedals

PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Quote by slipknot_420
Yea after thinking about it id personally not buy it, its your decision but id keep looking ive seen mint 5150 heads go for $600 just recently.
Or at least talk him down id start at $350 just to see wat he says he might go for it, then go up but I wouldnt pay more than $400 for it.
Theres 1 on ebay right now with 4 hours left at $575 check it out
Theres also a 6505 with a custom grill for $650 buy it now thats a pretty good deal.

Haha well if it'll be an expensive problem to fix I think I'd rather just stick with the used Peavey 6505 I got off Guitar center. I got it for a total of 700.
Quote by Chaz-6(sic)6

which side you choose.

>>Listen to my metulz!<<
Quote by xlRainlx
Well it's actually on craigslist and the owner said the tubes were in great shape, etc. He said, "the ONLY problem is the cable." And since I'd know where he'd live, I doubt he would lie to me XD

@GS LEAD: I have no idea. Is it NOT supposed to be like that?

The 5150 and Peab\vey logo's are supposed to be the same way up
And why does the chassis look like its made of wood?
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Jun 5, 2011,
Quote by xlRainlx
Haha well if it'll be an expensive problem to fix I think I'd rather just stick with the used Peavey 6505 I got off Guitar center. I got it for a total of 700.

Id stick with the 6505 from gc unless you can talk him down.
@gs its white tolex
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
And some pedals

PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Quote by slipknot_420
Id stick with the 6505 from gc unless you can talk him down.
@gs its white tolex

It looks like its just been painted white!!! I would just go with the new one.
Quote by gurg06
It looks like its just been painted white!!! I would just go with the new one.

Could be
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
And some pedals

PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
that tolex looks like it has been painted white. lol.
its kinda beat man and its screaming "something isnt right with me"
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
That upside down logo is pretty suspicious now that you guys mention it xD
But!!! I managed to talk him down to 400! You guys think I should go for it?
Quote by Chaz-6(sic)6

which side you choose.

>>Listen to my metulz!<<
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Suspicious upside down logo is suspicious.

My guess is that the guy took the amp out for some servicing / pot cleaning / spring cleaning... when he put the chassis back, he probably put the grill on upside-down, and thought "frak it" when he realised.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
My guess is that the guy took the amp out for some servicing / pot cleaning / spring cleaning... when he put the chassis back, he probably put the grill on upside-down, and thought "frak it" when he realised.

That's what I'm thinking. I'm still leaning towards the 6505 though.
Quote by Chaz-6(sic)6

which side you choose.

>>Listen to my metulz!<<
Quote by xlRainlx
That's what I'm thinking. I'm still leaning towards the 6505 though.

Unless for some reason you want THE 5150, I'd go with the 6505. I'm not certain about the new prices, but if I have to send an used amp to a tech for anything other than a check and general service, I don't think its really worth all that.

Plus its a 5150, not a 5150 III.

However, if you're interested, at least go see it. I can see what the other mean that the tolex seems painted, but unless you inspect it for yourself, it might just be a trick of the light.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at Jun 6, 2011,
So you went through the trouble of talking him down, and now you're gonna walk?
I might too, but there's some ethical dilemma in there me thinks.

The bad cable isn't a big deal IMO if you or a friend of yours as at all handy doing something like this.
Its a relatively easy fix even for a novice IMO. Three wires.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Jun 6, 2011,
Quote by CodeMonk
So you went through the trouble of talking him down, and now you're gonna walk?
I might too, but there's some ethical dilemma in there me thinks.

The bad cable isn't a big deal IMO if you or a friend of yours as at all handy doing something like this.
Its a relatively easy fix even for a novice IMO. Three wires.

Well I told him it wasn't for sure that I'd buy his amp head and he understood. Besides, he's got two other people interested in it too and don't mind the full asking price. He just said that if they backed out, he'd give it to me for 400.

Well I've done some work on Xbox 360's and guitars but I'm not sure how I would go about fixing this. I would probably need a guide of some sort *cough cough* somebody link me to one ;D

@ GS Lead: Well we're trying to arrange a meeting tomorrow but neither of us have a cab lmao. I'm gonna have to see if one of my buddies could let me borrow it for the day.
Quote by Chaz-6(sic)6

which side you choose.

>>Listen to my metulz!<<
Quote by GS LEAD 5
The 5150 and Peab\vey logo's are supposed to be the same way up

Quote by GS LEAD 5

Quote by GS LEAD 5
made of wood?

I'm fairly certain most chassis are made of wood...
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3
Quote by GS LEAD 5
But its usually tolexed it looked like he ripped it off

No the tolex is definitely still on. Also, I thought that 5150s came in white too?

Also, this thread is kinda moot now considering that the TS is planning to get a new 6505.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by Mopy

I'm fairly certain most chassis are made of wood...
the CABINET is made of wood. The chassis is made of metal.
Quote by ragingkitty
No the tolex is definitely still on. Also, I thought that 5150s came in white too?

Also, this thread is kinda moot now considering that the TS is planning to get a new 6505.

Yeah pretty much. You guys can let this thread die out now. Thanks everyone for your help and input!
Quote by Chaz-6(sic)6

which side you choose.

>>Listen to my metulz!<<