So I'm starting to play live with my friends and we're going to be formally making a band soon and my old Fender 25R just isn't going to cut it anymore(I can't imagine why).

Problem is though, I'm looking for a great all around amp. See, one night, I'm playing White Stripes, Black Keys, and Cream. Two nights after that, I'm playing System of a Down, Black Sabbath, and Metallica.

Now if I actually had money, I'd go and get me a Mesa Boogie. Problem is I'm 18 and my budget is around $700...and I'd like to not hit $700 because I'm eying a new synthesizer(but the amp is more of a necessity now).

I figured a combo amp would work best because this would also double as my practice amp and if needed I could always just hook the amp up to a PA system or a 4x12 cabinet(but that's not too foreseeable in the near future).

Oh and I don't like Line 6 or the Peavey Vypyr(not a big fan of modeling amps).

So long story short, I'm looking for a combo amp under $700 that can give me a great metal tone and great cleans too...yeah I know...I want it all...anyways what's my best bet?

I was thinking maybe a Carvin SX300 or a Peavey 6505 112 but I know they don't have great cleans...

Help? Please?
You can get boogies for $700 and under
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
get the 6505+ it has EQ for all the channels soo u can make the cleans sound nice with a raw distortion at the same time
Agile Septor Elite 727
Peavey 6505+
Willin to buy used?
Sorry i'm late, but my walk has got terribly silly today
I just bought an Egnater Tweaker 15W Combo amp for around $600, and I love it. It is great if you play a range of styles and like messing around with your tone. It is easily loud enough to play with a full band live as well.

I play similar music (though a bit less metal) and it sounds gorgeous even without any pedals. I strongly recommend it.
Quote by Skaliveson
I just bought an Egnater Tweaker 15W Combo amp for around $600, and I love it. It is great if you play a range of styles and like messing around with your tone. It is easily loud enough to play with a full band live as well.

I play similar music (though a bit less metal) and it sounds gorgeous even without any pedals. I strongly recommend it.

Dang you got ripped off on that deal whoa damn I guess not I though they were like 400 new, I could never pay 600 bucks for one of those
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Last edited by slipknot_420 at Jun 5, 2011,
Quote by BURNTHEPRIEST94
get the 6505+ it has EQ for all the channels soo u can make the cleans sound nice with a raw distortion at the same time
That's the last amp I'd recommend for Black Keys and Cream...
Quote by MightyAl
I took a pic of myself, cut a hole in the face and stuck my knob through so i could see what I'd look like if I got bitten by a radioactive elephant.
Yea that's the problem with the 6505+. It has a great tone for the heavier stuff I play...but I'm not going to be able to bust out We Can Work It Out or the acoustic version of Outside Women Blues with it.

That's the problem with wanting a relatively cheap amp that give you tones that range from caressing your thigh to punching you in the face...there really aren't any...

Any chance I can pick up a good cheap clean amp then a good cheap metal amp and just run my guitar through both of them and use one for clean and one for distortion?
why don't you like modeling amps? the vypyr tube is actually quite nice sounding
~~~~~~
LTD EC-256 - AGED VINTAGE BLACK
Schecter C-1 Plus - BLACK CHERRY
Peavey 6505+ 112
BOSS NS2
DigiTech Bad Monkey OD
Maxon SD9

~~~~~~
Quote by plunkett
why don't you like modeling amps? the vypyr tube is actually quite nice sounding

I already have a decent set of effects pedals so I think the foot pedal for it would be a waste of money and I prefer the nice simplicity of a basic amp.

I can't tell you exactly why...but I just prefer a standard amp with an eq for each channel.
Bugera V55/333XL combo will do all that you need to and come in under budget. You'll deff need to run an od to get SOD tone through the V55, but the 333 will cover it all with out an OD pedal. Jet City Amps has some great stuff also.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Bugera V55/333XL combo will do all that you need to and come in under budget. You'll deff need to run an od to get SOD tone through the V55, but the 333 will cover it all with out an OD pedal. Jet City Amps has some great stuff also.
I'd second this, especially if you go used. People used to trash Bugera for reliability issues but that was when they first started mass producing them. Allegedly, they've worked out most of the issues.
Quote by MightyAl
I took a pic of myself, cut a hole in the face and stuck my knob through so i could see what I'd look like if I got bitten by a radioactive elephant.
Oh and I'm not against solid states. I know that sounds crazy. I mean obviously I'd prefer a nice tube...but a good solid state never hurt anyone.
Yeah my Bugera is fine I can get great tones from it and I have been using it for 1 1/2 yrs now.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by tMLeaf
Oh and I'm not against solid states. I know that sounds crazy. I mean obviously I'd prefer a nice tube...but a good solid state never hurt anyone.
The dilemma here is that most good solid state amps still are gonna cost you a bit.
Quote by MightyAl
Quote by tMLeaf

Yeah, but one of the only ss I'd recomend is the L6 Flextone, and you said you don't like them.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Problem with the Bugera is that I don't really want to buy a distortion pedal. If I have to I will...but I'm not a huge fan of buying pedals for stuff like OD, Distortion, or Reverb.

And yes...everything good in life will cost me money.
Quote by tMLeaf
Problem with the Bugera is that I don't really want to buy a distortion pedal. If I have to I will...but I'm not a huge fan of buying pedals for stuff like OD, Distortion, or Reverb.

And yes...everything good in life will cost me money.
If you get the two that were recommended, for what you do, a distortion won't even be necessary, although if you used a nice overdrive as a boost, it probably wouldn't hurt, but it's definitely not required.
Quote by MightyAl
So the Bugera Combo will be able to pull off heavy metal sounds without me having to change up the EQ?
the 333 will not need a pedal, it is a 3 chanel amp that is baisicly a clone of he JSX/XXX Peavy's. The V55 you may want a pedal to boost the signal, but it is only a 2 ch amp. It is more of a Fender/Vox/Machless style amp. If you go on you tube look up Dangle's chanel. he gives great reviews of these amps.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by tMLeaf
So the Bugera Combo will be able to pull off heavy metal sounds without me having to change up the EQ?
The 333 should be able to, yes. What do you mean change up the EQ though? If you're talking the amp's EQ, I wouldn't run it flat, but if you're talking about putting an EQ pedal in front, no, that's not really needed.
Quote by MightyAl
Quote by Ferrets!
The 333 should be able to, yes. What do you mean change up the EQ though? If you're talking the amp's EQ, I wouldn't run it flat, but if you're talking about putting an EQ pedal in front, no, that's not really needed.

Well it's just that the v55(which is what I would get) only has one EQ setting for both channels...I'd prefer something with a separate EQ for each channel so I could get a nice tone on each channel.

EDIT: Whoops...just looked at the 333...and it has a different EQ for each channel.

I like. Has good reviews too...I'll check it out.
Last edited by tMLeaf at Jun 5, 2011,
Quote by Robbgnarly
Yeah, but one of the only ss I'd recomend is the L6 Flextone, and you said you don't like them.

Yea the flextone would work well
Guitar Center has a few VHT Pittbulls on sale for $700 each, and a VHT Lead 40 for $750 (if you can scrounge an extra $100), though the shipping might set you back another $50. You could pick up a used Mesa .50 Cal for about $600, or maybe a Mark III if you're lucky. Or you can get a used Marshall JCM2000 DSL for about $400.
bro seriously get a b-52 at-100 i've got one and i swear it will play anything

600 used halfstack
Quote by tMLeaf
Can't really use a halfstack for practicing at home.

I use a Mesa MkV through a 212. Its 90 watts, and I can still practice at 1am in the morning without waking anyone.

I need to correct a misconception here... just cause you have a huge amp with high wattage doesn't mean you have to dime the volume all the time, you can still play softly. That's what the volume controls are on amps for.

That said, I do recognise that some amps (the 6505 in particular) have a nasty habit of going from 0 to 100 just from a small tweak in the volume knob... but it shouldn't be much of a problem if you fiddle with your channel and the master volume.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Carvin V3
3 channels, each with it's own EQ, as well as a global EQ

This is the diversity of only 1 of the 3 channels

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qT08awUZIhw
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
The half stack idea has a few other problems. Half stacks are big...not only would they take up a lot of room at home, they'd also be hard to carry around. Also I'm going to be traveling between college and home a lot next year and I know I could fit a lot more stuff if I had a combo. Plus at my budget, I have a lot more options going combo. I am looking for a combo with a speaker out though so if I need/want to, I can hook up a 4X12

Right now I'm looking at the B-52 AT-112/212.

Is it better than the Bugera 333?
If you've got a good pedal set up already (drive in particular) I can't recommend a fender blues deluxe enough. I have the reissue model and love it, plenty of volume for even relatively large gigs, beautiful thick bluesy clean tone that stays really thick with drive (from pedal, the drive setting is the amps only weak point in my opinion). Second hand should fit the budget, I have a reissue but if you are into spring reverb sound I would hunt down a original, it has the best reverb I've heard. But yer, if you are looking for a simple yet beautiful base to add to with pedals I would buy this again and again.
Yea I don't have a distortion pedal nor do I really want one...

Just a personal preference.
the b52 at's are great... but seriously in pure tone quality the stack will be better

but its not nearly as convenient
Quote by Vinson
Carvin V3
3 channels, each with it's own EQ, as well as a global EQ

This is the diversity of only 1 of the 3 channels

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qT08awUZIhw

i own a v3 combo 212. basically, it is the shit. its super versatile, amazing clean tones, and more distortion then you should be realistically ever using. although its a bit out of your price range (about $1000 if i not mistaken) it is well worth it. all sorts of shnazzy things like series and parallel loops, EQs, its got an ohm switch on the back so you can change the tone without re wiring, and not to mention it just looks badass and is completely made in the usa, and carvin is a great company
So it looks like it's down between the Bugera and the B-52...anyone have both that prefers one over the other?