Hey guys n' gals...

I've been planning on buying myself a drumkit. Due to size restrictions, Im aiming for a digital drumkit.

However, I started to get some problems in my legs and especially in my right knee, which we (me and my family) fear might be arthritis. Hurts like hell if I put a lot on strain on it (like working in a sawmill for 10 hours).

Should I get a drumkit and try it all out, wait and see, or just plain not do it?
Quote by Wisthekiller
How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?
best to get it checked out before you go ahead and buy one. don't wanna spend £500 on something that turns out you can't use
Get it checked out first, but I'm sure if you do get a kit you'll be able to work with your footwork to get the most out of the pedal while also caring for your knee. Ie: play around with heel-toe
Quote by glm
I love you for saying that.

after I said "if the Governator could do it; so can Mr. Colbert"
If you can, check with an experienced Drum teacher or someone similar as well as a doctor, because its likely they will have experience in this matter as well.

Hope you're going to be alright, good luck to you
Spiraling Up Through the Crack in the Sky...

...Leaving Material World Behind...

SOUNDCLOUD

GT - Elite Curbstomp
Check it all up it is then! Thanks for the help guys!

Follow up question though. I see some videos of drummers using this heel-toe technique, now I do realize that they're damn good so it might not be something that I can see but I don't see their actual ankles moving. Using the heel-toe technique is using the ankles, correct?
Quote by Wisthekiller
Correct. There are tons of ways to play kit without putting much strain on your leg or knee itself, in fact the goal is to be able to play as relaxed as possible. If you're willing to put the effort in to make sure you're using your muscles efficiently, then definitely buy a kit.
I know that Im pretty good at finding out how to use muscles effectively, but that's mostly the upper body I've used that for... So we'll see how it turns out. Gotta find some kind of good kit to start out on. Got my eye out on one though. Contacting the doctors as soon as possible.
Thank you all for the help, advice and answers!
Quote by Wisthekiller
Quote by Kalo Hanaka
Check it all up it is then! Thanks for the help guys!

Follow up question though. I see some videos of drummers using this heel-toe technique, now I do realize that they're damn good so it might not be something that I can see but I don't see their actual ankles moving. Using the heel-toe technique is using the ankles, correct?
Sort of. Heel toe is a method of performing double strokes on the bass drum, which is done by making a regular heel-up stroke (so basically, your leg going downwards) on the pedal, and then, without removing your foot from the pedal, snapping your toes forward (with you ankles) and making the second stroke. The ankle stroke is kind of an upward motion and will return you to the original position before you made the first heel up stroke.

Generally speaking, most bass drum strokes will either be from below the knee (heel down) or starting from the hip flexor area in your thigh, which is heel up. With heel up, ankles really only come into play once you go past 180 bpm in terms of speed.
Eh, you'll be alright...there's ways to play the bass drum with very minimal effort in part of knee. Actually, I think if I were to get a bad knee, I'd prefer it'd be my kick side opposed to the leg I work the hi-hats with...it seems hi-hats take more leg/knee, while it's possible for me to get a decent hit outta my drum with little leg effort...of course I don't always play that way, but...
Also, don't be discouraged...the drummer for Def Leopard lost an arm (his snare arm of all arms) and he kept playing. And a crazy Jazz drummer, Chick Webb had some sort of awful spine condition, which caused it to deform and all that. That guy had balls...he continued to play right up until the end, he'd play through so much pain he would pass out.
We all need good health and for that we all have to do some steps
1. Drink more water
2. Avoid Smoking
3. Eat Fresh vegetables and fruits
4. Do Regular Exercise .
Agree with what's already been posted, in the perfect world with perfect technique you shouldn't really put any strain on your joints but that aint gonna happen lol.
I'd be seeking out a good teacher who can teach you Moeller and a similar technique for your feet.
I'm tired of double bass. Learn to play gravity rolls on the snare with both hands at the same time, and you won't have to worry about double bass pedals.