Ok so I've heard many people on here talk about how learning songs without tab, but by ear, helps you become a better musician - which makes sense because this is basically training yourself to hear something and then produce what you hear with your instrument.

My question is, how do you guys go about it? I'm considering dedicating like 20 minutes a day to sitting down and listening to a part of a song/solo over and over again to figure out what's going on.

Is this how you guys do it? Would Shine On You Crazy Diamond (PULSE) be a decent place to start? Should I figure out the backing chords by ear too?
I would actually suggest going with simple melodies such a nursery rhymes and the like. Because they are so familiar you can sing them out loud or whistle them with no problems and then try to reproduce the melody on guitar. It might seem boring but it's a good excercise none the less.
Alright people, Move along - there is nothing to see.
"Or so you think..."
i didn't start playing stuff by ear until i was pretty competent on the guitar. after a while and a lot of playing you just start to recognize chords and stuff.

a good start is slow songs without a bunch of guitar layering. and i like finding the melody out. thats a good exercise. its just a matter of knowing the intervals between notes. and figuring out the key the song is in.

UG has a lot of good resources on the matter
Quote by southpaw_tdg
i didn't start playing stuff by ear until i was pretty competent on the guitar. after a while and a lot of playing you just start to recognize chords and stuff.

a good start is slow songs without a bunch of guitar layering. and i like finding the melody out. thats a good exercise. its just a matter of knowing the intervals between notes. and figuring out the key the song is in.

UG has a lot of good resources on the matter

+1

It's not really something you teach yourself, you could, but you might as well just learn the guitar and as you go it just happens.

So you could sit around memorizing each note of each fret, or you could just play until you know them and then it comes out like singing a song you've heard
Danelectro 1959 reissue

Quote by G.Krizzel
Music is just wiggly air. Accept it or leave it.

Also please visit this thread and help me tab out an album!!!
thread.
I wouldnt recommend shine on you crazy diamonds.

I like to stay motivated to learn a song so i gotta really wanna learn it. i picked things like star wars theme songs, indeana jones. Robo cop is easy, and the tetris theme isnt that hard either. all cool sounding stuff. Try that awesome riff in giant robot by buckethead. single note melodies like there all saying.

I wouldnt just give it time to develop on its on. sure it will happen but how long you gonna wait? The more you use your ears the better they will get.
Quote by -TM-
Is this how you guys do it? Would Shine On You Crazy Diamond (PULSE) be a decent place to start? Should I figure out the backing chords by ear too?

I'd actually start with some simpler songs, even stuff from the Blues Brother movie would be good for starting. Lots of common progressions. And yes, definately figure out the chords to the songs, I'd actually start by figuring those out and the leads later.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
What posters like this take a while to understand is people need to learn pitch collections to a certain degree of comfort before they are even ready for transcription. If you can't hear a reference pitch and emulate it quickly on the guitar, then the song you are on is too hard for you, and you need more time just learning songs and how to find pitches quickly on the guitar. Not only this, but learning songs gives you progression cues, chord varieties and tendencies, that later when you hear a similar thing in a song you're trying to work out you say, "ah I just heard that E7#9 in White Zombie's "Thunderkiss", that's the same chord SRV used in "Voodoo Chile", and the second chord used in the Kansas' song "Carry on Wayward Son", and that same chord was used for the main groove in Earth Wind and Fire's "Shining Star"...." etc.

Sean
Depends, I reckon learning a lot of songs (even through tab or whatever) is a great foundation to have before learning songs by ear.
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.